VAN GAALEN TRACK SIGNS AND MAP

Ryanv1

Is the path that goes through the tunnel of reeds and then along the banks of the river supposed to be used in both directions? i.e. can you return on this path or are you supposed to cross the river and do the loop I can see on Rouxjies map?

We crossed at the floating bridge (interesting...) but signage on the other side all seemed to be pointing back over the bridge so crossed again to avoid colliding ewith oncoming traffic. Then on the other side could see no way back except going presumablyu again against the traffic flow...?

Or am I just over-complicating things? (happened to be very quiet when we were there so wasn't an issue)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For 45 rondt I'd happily still ride there without trail markings still.

For shiz, best riding around gauteng(I know I know its NW). Will actually pay more to be honest but don't tell erik

Is the path that goes through the tunnel of reeds and then along the banks of the river supposed to be used in both directions? i.e. can you return on this path or are you supposed to cross the river and do the loop I can see on Rouxjies map?

We crossed at the floating bridge (interesting...) but signage on the other side all seemed to be pointing back over the bridge so crossed again to avoid colliding ewith oncoming traffic. Then on the other side could see no way back except going presumablyu again against the traffic flow...?

Or am I just over-complicating things? (happened to be very quiet when we were there so wasn't an issue)

All the trails are bi directional, invest in a klokkie for the blind corners...trust me on this one

All the trails are bi directional, invest in a klokkie for the blind corners...trust me on this one

Noted! OK now any tips for handling the floating bridge.

Noted! OK now any tips for handling the floating bridge.

FRIB.....that thing is rickety, just moer it at speed two things can happen

Either you carry enough momentum / speed and you sail across or you fall in spectacularly and your mates laugh and point, some might even shoot a video and post here....either way its a win win.

Speaking of water crossings, the water bridge at haia safari is toughest one yet, it makes a wake behind you cause the joins of the crates are not that stable...weird sensation

Edited by rouxtjie

Left out poffadder and eagles nest from my map....but that about covers everything.

Does anyone have co-ordinates for these two points? Is poffadder a few Kms after the Concrete Road after turning left at the T junction?

Does anyone have co-ordinates for these two points? Is poffadder a few Kms after the Concrete Road after turning left at the T junction?

You know the second little hill after climbing the concrete slabs....there is a lone thorn tree and a metal bridge that say daggapad. About 20m before that there is a split to the "koppie" on your right, the sign will say poffader, hope you have a sherpa going along

I haven't read all the posts but my thoughts are as follows, the VG trails are so varied, fun, fast, challenging etc etc that I just keep going back again and again even though I live 65km away. Every bit of the R40 we pay goes straight back into the 90+ kms of trails to try and keep then in good order for our us to enjoy.

People should ride these trails more often if you want to become a better rider, IMHO, if you can ride ALL the trails properly then you can ride anywhere. I try my best to fix or straighten signs that may have been tampered with, perhaps painting the sign on a rock or concrete slab will be a more permanent solution.

It is sad that people say they'll never go back just because they got a little lost, I've noticed that people are generally too proud and keep themselves if lost or are too shy to ask for help which adds to the problem.

A "Learn the VG trails" workshop would be nice for the new visitors which could be a once a month very easy and relaxed ride stopping along the way to point out key points and landmarks. I would even volunteer to do this once in a while so that people can appreciated the place for what it is.

just saying

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

Nope the floating bridge is in the middle of that section, there is a solid concrete bridge at the start of that section.

thanks rouxtjie, hopefully i can find it on saturday

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone point out where you're supposed to pay to ride?

A few of us where there on Sunday for my first time and we couldn't see any signs about fees or windows where guys were taking money, so we guessed it was free and went for a ride. Were we supposed to go pay in the restaurant? I feel a bit miff now for not looking harder.

About getting lost... I figure you might get completely lost a few times, but after a few times of getting lost you'll probably know your way around enough to not get hopelessly lost again, and every time you ride you'll get to know the place a bit better. And with a phone or GPS and a bit of common sense you're never really completely lost, so I don't see the big problem. It's too great a place to just discard cos you might get lost a few times. Apply rule #5 and enjoy.

Can someone point out where you're supposed to pay to ride?

A few of us where there on Sunday for my first time and we couldn't see any signs about fees or windows where guys were taking money, so we guessed it was free and went for a ride. Were we supposed to go pay in the restaurant? I feel a bit miff now for not looking harder.

About getting lost... I figure you might get completely lost a few times, but after a few times of getting lost you'll probably know your way around enough to not get hopelessly lost again, and every time you ride you'll get to know the place a bit better. And with a phone or GPS and a bit of common sense you're never really completely lost, so I don't see the big problem. It's too great a place to just discard cos you might get lost a few times. Apply rule #5 and enjoy.

pay in the shop where the cheese samples are...