Did I just see 20 lights in Cecelia??

(Deon)

Probably a topic for another discussion, but isn't there a certain section at signal hill and the glen that was cleared to ride.?

I know the section at the kramats were off limits. The section that takes you into bokaap was this note made open for riding?

AFAIK signal hill below the road is fine. As long as it's on the Jeeptrack / fire roads, you're fine.

Problem is, as ever, illegal builds...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a privilege , totally agree with you. I think Pappa Bear missed my point earlier on when I said that a lack of consistency on the part of San Parks has perpetuated the current situation. If you make a law, enforce it and do it consistently. That's the only way we learn. I think it's not a uniquely South African trait, but we are more prone to breaking the law, because we have so many of them which are simply not enforced. We like to take the gap and then plead ignorance when caught, or condemn the authorities when we get issued a fine.

Over the 2 years that I have tried to get something going on Table Mountain, I quickly realised that nothing happens overnight with San Parks and there is a very methodical, slow approach to anything out of the box. Everything needs to be tackled in small steps, otherwise you "scare them off", if you know what I mean. For some mountain bikers this approach is too slow and the results are not always immediate and visible.

At least now we have the ear of San Parks and they are open to suggestions.

If we get a new piece of trail to ride , but in return need to put up "No Cycling" signs elsewhere, there is always someone who feels aggrieved, because their regular trail is now marked illegal (but it always was anyway).

There is no pleasing everyone, that's reality.

An illegal night ride through Cecilia that has been going on for years won't derail the process (because it was there well before we started our crusade), but it may be helpful if the guys stopped. San Parks could have shut them down easily with a focused effort over a period of a month or two, fining and confiscating bikes. The law is theirs to enforce (they set the rules). If they choose not to clamp down on this group, then that is their choice.

When San Parks come and ask me to please tell cyclists to stop riding on Signal Hill, my response is always the same.

Who am I to tell cyclists to stop riding on Signal Hill? What authority do I have? Instead of trying to get me to do their job, I tell San Parks this:

Manage the situation, rather than try to ban riding. Your history of enforcement is proof that you will never get it done.

Rather, manage the flow of cyclists and get them to belong to some sort of grouping which you have an agreement with.

Give the group privileges and take those away if there are too many transgressions.

Allow cycling in one direction only.

Allow cyclists access during certain times only.

Set the rules for shared trail usage (reduce speed,stop and give right of way to anyone not on a bicycle)

That's at least a realistic way of dealing with illegal riding , if you want to control it.

The Cecilia night ride. Make it a once a month event and charge each cyclist R 30 to join. Put a San Parks vehicle and some staff on the route to control matters (perhaps a medic on standby). At least this way you are in control.

• 8 months later...

The Cecelia night ride is becoming a thing of the past. In the past few weeks Sanparks armed rangers have apprehended and fined many riders (and caught fewer muggers) and have been very aggressive in their approach. A small group started night riding 16 years ago (when legal/illegal wasn't even an issue) and for 13 years the group remained small often bumping into parks officials who admonished them with a mild 'you shouldn't be riding here' before carrying on with their business. Over the last two or so years it has become a free for all and many riders leave well before dark and only night ride on part of the way down resulting in more interactions with walkers and working rangers. Riding in Cecelia is the real issue as it is not open to bikers - night riding per se is not the issue. So Tokai with an activity card it is - the ONLY legal night ride in CT. Civil society (soft targets) becomes more regulated and the real criminals get away with even more. Just read the papers.

I know there are signs at Tokai that one may not enter after sunset, but are there any parts of the mountain (i.e. the whole TMNP) where night rides are allowed? It may be common knowledge to some, but not to me and I'm sure not to other newer riders.

Thanks

Parks would like to ban all night riding in the park. Tokai included.

They say, the mountain needs time to "rest" and lights and the activity after dark disrupt the nocturnal fauna & flora.

Was told this by parks.

Only Tokai that I know of. Will need to buy a 'permit' and carry with you. Looks like I will be doing that myself in the next few days once I know who to contact and pay.

We ride to the Blockhouse every Thursday at 6:45pm. Start is on the corner of Kloof & Ivy Street. Finish at Van Hunks in Kloof Street where we have regular table booked.

It is a privilege , totally agree with you. I think Pappa Bear missed my point earlier on when I said that a lack of consistency on the part of San Parks has perpetuated the current situation. If you make a law, enforce it and do it consistently. That's the only way we learn. I think it's not a uniquely South African trait, but we are more prone to breaking the law, because we have so many of them which are simply not enforced. We like to take the gap and then plead ignorance when caught, or condemn the authorities when we get issued a fine.

Over the 2 years that I have tried to get something going on Table Mountain, I quickly realised that nothing happens overnight with San Parks and there is a very methodical, slow approach to anything out of the box. Everything needs to be tackled in small steps, otherwise you "scare them off", if you know what I mean. For some mountain bikers this approach is too slow and the results are not always immediate and visible.

At least now we have the ear of San Parks and they are open to suggestions.

If we get a new piece of trail to ride , but in return need to put up "No Cycling" signs elsewhere, there is always someone who feels aggrieved, because their regular trail is now marked illegal (but it always was anyway).

There is no pleasing everyone, that's reality.

An illegal night ride through Cecilia that has been going on for years won't derail the process (because it was there well before we started our crusade), but it may be helpful if the guys stopped. San Parks could have shut them down easily with a focused effort over a period of a month or two, fining and confiscating bikes. The law is theirs to enforce (they set the rules). If they choose not to clamp down on this group, then that is their choice.

When San Parks come and ask me to please tell cyclists to stop riding on Signal Hill, my response is always the same.

Who am I to tell cyclists to stop riding on Signal Hill? What authority do I have? Instead of trying to get me to do their job, I tell San Parks this:

Manage the situation, rather than try to ban riding. Your history of enforcement is proof that you will never get it done.

Rather, manage the flow of cyclists and get them to belong to some sort of grouping which you have an agreement with.

Give the group privileges and take those away if there are too many transgressions.

Allow cycling in one direction only.

Allow cyclists access during certain times only.

Set the rules for shared trail usage (reduce speed,stop and give right of way to anyone not on a bicycle)

That's at least a realistic way of dealing with illegal riding , if you want to control it.

The Cecilia night ride. Make it a once a month event and charge each cyclist R 30 to join. Put a San Parks vehicle and some staff on the route to control matters (perhaps a medic on standby). At least this way you are in control.

Very true post this Kandui (I missed it then)

Only Tokai that I know of. Will need to buy a 'permit' and carry with you. Looks like I will be doing that myself in the next few days once I know who to contact and pay.

There is an agreement that was negotiated quite a few years ago to allow night riding in Tokai at night.

The conditions are (as I know them):

• Only Tuesday to Thursday

• Every person riding must have a permit or day pass.

• sign in at the gate

• a group of at least 3 people for safety

I assume you're referring to the Activity card?

Hi, I'm new to Tokai

With whom do you sign in? Or is there a register there? I've yet to see anybody there?

The hut in the carpark.

Hi, I'm new to Tokai

With whom do you sign in? Or is there a register there? I've yet to see anybody there?

Get your activity card from SANPark office. It's the last building on your right about 50m before the T-junction in front of the Tokai manor house. Cost R400 & something per year. Take your ID or passport, a utility bill and 2 ID pictures with you. They do accept credit cards. Fill in the form and they'll print & laminate your card there and then, it takes about 15 minutes. They open normal business hours, with a lunch break somewhere in the middle.

Show your card at the hut in the Arboretum parking and fill in the register. There is a ranger on duty during business hours. If you are early or late, keep your activity card with you because you might bump into a ranger that wants to see it, especially if you cross into Silvermine.

If you don't ride there often enough to justify an activity card, then you buy a day permit for R45 from the hut at the picnic area. It is on your right, but about 300m before the abovementioned T-junction. You then show your day slip and sign in as described above and ride.

While staying at one of the Hoerikwaggo cottages, I was informed by SANParks that it is illegal to be on TMNP after dark - riding, running, driving or walking (unless in the confines of the cottages) If this is actually true then the 6.45pm rides to the blockhouse, and the night runs up to the dams are also illegal. Personally I think group night rides and runs should be encouraged as there will be huge benefits for TMNP, CPT tourism and MTB in general. More bikes on the mountain will also decrease the amount of muggings happening. You probably find that the only reason why SANparks have started fining riders in Cecilia Forest is because some sad person has been complaining.