What would you pay?

BIG C

Hi All,

My bike is going up for sale at the end of the year and I was wondering if you could all help me out and determin its value.

Specs (2012)

Frameset: Cannondale Supersix 58cm (4 months old)

Groupset: Ultegra Di2 electronic parts and Dura-Ace calipers, crankset, chain and cassette (6 months old)

Wheels: Zipp 303 Fire Crest (Beyond Black) 25mm conti competion tubbies (8 months old, tubbies are 2months old)

Saddle: Fizik Areon CX Braided rails (6 months old)

Stem and Seatpost: Easton ea90 and Easton ea50 (6 months old)

Handlebars: 3T Rutondo Team Classic bend (Carbon) 42cm c-c (6 months old)

Di2 Battery charger

The bike will not come with the P2max Rotor cranks. I will put the Dura-Ace cranks back on.

The bike is in excellent condtion and has not been in any crashes.

It only weighs R7.2 with DA crankset

Baring in mind what all the above retails for, What would you pay for this beaut?

Leave your comments below :) thanks for the help

post-15488-0-32013000-1372241119_thumb.jpg

post-15488-0-85956100-1372241131_thumb.jpg

post-15488-0-59527900-1372241146_thumb.jpg

post-15488-0-77586000-1372241223_thumb.jpg

You are not going to get close to what you paid :(

R30k - if you want to sell it today

R35k - Still a great deal

R40k - if you not in a rush ... but then you are competing against new bikes with Di2 Ultegra. Not as well specked as yours but the option is there then.

You are not going to get close to what you paid :(

R30k - if you want to sell it today

R35k - Still a great deal

R40k - if you not in a rush ... but then you are competing against new bikes with Di2 Ultegra. Not as well specked as yours but the option is there then.

This is true, but then again its not standard with the mix of DA and the ZIPP 303 Fire Crest which themselves are worth a lot. You wouldnt be able to go out and by this bike new for 40k. In no rush to sell, I have the whole of next year to sell it.

Thanks for the help though :)

Edited by BIG C

30% below new price and a further 10% off per year is a good starting point for negotiations when buying or selling 2nd hand.

Desirable items (like your bike), negotiate upwards. High end items of high value (like your bike) means there are fewer buyers with ready cash, negotiate downwards.

Also, people with that kind of spare cash lying around, tend to buy new. Remember that the buyer will have no warranty on components or frame and for a bike of this value, that represents a large risk that the second owner will have to take.

Tankman knows his stuff when it comes to the business side. Sorry if the news sound bad, but on expensive bikes, you always lose a lot of money when it is time to sell. Keep it and ride it!

Why would you say that Nimby? I would Think the bike has more overall value with them on?

I just think it's very difficult to realize R40k for a used bike on the hub - regardless of what it or the components are actually worth. It is easier, however, to sometimes sell the high end componentry separately and get closer to full value. I would imagine the Zipps are very sought after on this forum...

Think you are right, I have placed the Zipps up on classifieds as a packaged deal with 3 new topend tubbies and new QR. Asking R15500 but I am open to offers

Best offer I got for my super6 like that was R29k. Build was full Di2 dura ace, zipp bar & stem, hollowgram sisl crank with srm wired power meter included, reynold dv46t wheels, aksium training wheels.

I agree with Tank, R30k to R35k is realistic.

Edited by Christie

The second hand market is just not there for high end components.

We all like to think our bikes are worth millions, well they are when you have to replace them.

But there is quite a difference between replacement value and second hand value.

I have just been through the process of selling a top top end Santa Cruz Full Carbon 29er with carbon lefty with top end specs valued at R75k for ... R35k

And that was in the MTB market, which is 8 to 10 times bigger than the roadie market. Plus naainers are in such high demand in the 2nd hand market it is not even funny.

If you are a buyer is the second hand market for R30k - R40, there are some very decent new bikes available at that price and that is what you compete against as a seller. For sure the buyer will pick up a great bike valued at a lot more in this bracket but the seller needs to cut his losses and move on to his new bike.

If you are a buyer in the second hand market above R50k+ you need to have your head checked because I can build you your dream bike ... new! :thumbup: And these buyers normally have enough cash to splash bit more to get that dream bike they are after.

Yea, a guide for 2nd hand price is to start at 50% of new and take it from there. Buyers of new equipment can keep that in mind before parting with their money - half of what will be spend is gone.