Are you part of a club?? Absolute FLAMING

Guest Heino

I disagree with that. Went along on a ride and for majority of the ride the pace was great. Then we got near the end and it was increased. I managed to hang on no problem, but got split when at a robot. They didn't bother to wait !!! Carried on at their pace and left people behind with no way of catching up (There were a few more people that had got left behind at the previous robot). Had no idea where to go so ended up waiting for the other stragglers. It was my first and last ride with the Outriders.

Maybe I'm too used to mtbing, where if you ride in a group, people wait at certain points to make sure everyone stays together and doesn't get left on their own.

Very interesting we sit with the same problem in Joburg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

It is a club very different to most others.

To the OP.

No need to start a new club. Just get a bunch of like minded riders together. Create a WA group on your iPhail/Crapberry/Android phone and Bob's your Auntie.

Exactly what we did. Got a nice WhatsApp group going, and then there is the Durbanville threads.

I disagree with that. Went along on a ride and for majority of the ride the pace was great. Then we got near the end and it was increased. I managed to hang on no problem, but got split when at a robot. They didn't bother to wait !!! Carried on at their pace and left people behind with no way of catching up (There were a few more people that had got left behind at the previous robot). Had no idea where to go so ended up waiting for the other stragglers. It was my first and last ride with the Outriders.

Maybe I'm too used to mtbing, where if you ride in a group, people wait at certain points to make sure everyone stays together and doesn't get left on their own.

I think you might be being a bit unfair. The Outriders have multiple groups (up to 5) of different strengths on a Saturday ride. The "baby" groups nurture new riders and nobody gets left behind.

If you join one of the "fast groups", on the standard Saturday route, then yes, the pace does pick up for the last five km from Melkbos (where they regrouped) to the first robot at the Blaauwberg netcare (no robots in between that). After that everybody cools down and chills back to Driftwood where we all have coffee.

I really cant see why you would expect the group to wait when the ride is essentially finished and people are either going home or heading for coffee?

If you did not know the way, then your frustration is understandable, but not everybody wants to ride the beginner route, when this perhaps this would have been a better option for the first ride if you were struggling to hang on.

Its also quite difficult to know when somebody has fallen off the back of the group without looking around all the time, which is why there are sweeper riders on the Sunday rides, to make sure everybody is catered for.

The Saturday ride in the faster groups do not have sweepers and its really unfair to the faster riders to be expected to wait on the final sprint home?

If you joined in one of the middle groups, then there would always be slower groups behind you on your way to the finish. You could just regroup with one of those by waiting, just like you expect the faster riders to do.

I have to agree with Stratus5 on this point. I also joined the Outriders essentially because I was tired of cycling by myself all the time, and in order to become a better cyclist by getting experience riding with 'better cyclists'. The Outriders website does give the information on how the different rides are categorised by speed but I think it can take more than 'one go' to find your level where you are comfortable.

When i joined I considered myself sort of fit, but I soon realised that I maybe wasn't as fit as I thought I was. But, I took it as a challenge and have got myself to the level where I can now ride with the faster guys, but on bad days even I can get dropped when the legs just aren't up to it. I don't take it as an insult and I don't expect them to wait for me as it's me that wasn't up to scratch.

However, once you know the club and the ride that you are in, then you will soon realise that there are certain points where the group will slow down and it's up to you to get back in there otherwise you go with a slower group behind you if there is one. On Sunday club rides no-one gets left behind.

What i have noticed a couple of times is when new people come along to the club they tend to go with a group where they are maybe slower than the majority of the group. It's probably better to start lower down the order and if you find it easy then move up a group next week. I've also seen people turn up on Mtb bikes for club road rides and unless you're quite a strong Mtb'er then the chances are you will get dropped by the road bikes.

As an actual club though I think the Outriders deserve some praise. Rodney and the committee do a fantastic job of running the club. You get weekly newsletters, race reports written by the guys who take part, club kit at cost, loads of experience to draw upon, workshops for bike maintenance, organised rides with a ride captain, a gazebo with drinks at the major races (Die Burger, Medallion, etc etc), it's financially strong, runs a great Tiletoria West Coast Express, supports it's athletes who do the DC, League etc.

It's also very informal, if you want to ride, then ride, if you don't, then it's no problem. There's no cliques, you come along, take part and join in. The club is only as strong as the members who are in it and with over 200 members I think the Outriders must be doing something right.

I'm proud to be a member and I'll be proudly wearing the club kit at Knysna this weekend.

Life is full of "Clicks" Be it in the schoolyard, university, workplace, local pub, the waves, the hills, the roads and certainly any clubs!! Just as roadies don't agree with mtb'ers. Surfers don't dig kiteboarders, rollerbladers think skateboarders are woosies etc, You will always have a conflict of interest and more importantly a conflict of personalities. Hell we see it everyday on the hub and this is an "anonymous" forum.

Trick is, don't let it get under your skin, If you don't like it and you cant change it move! Cycling is supposed to be fun and exciting, it should be an escape from the everyday grind. If you aint having fun, time for a change!

Yes, I am. Best MTB club out there.

Woof muthafcukers Woof

Don't give away the secret bark now.

I think you might be being a bit unfair. The Outriders have multiple groups (up to 5) of different strengths on a Saturday ride. The "baby" groups nurture new riders and nobody gets left behind.

If you join one of the "fast groups", on the standard Saturday route, then yes, the pace does pick up for the last five km from Melkbos (where they regrouped) to the first robot at the Blaauwberg netcare (no robots in between that). After that everybody cools down and chills back to Driftwood where we all have coffee.

I really cant see why you would expect the group to wait when the ride is essentially finished and people are either going home or heading for coffee?

If you did not know the way, then your frustration is understandable, but not everybody wants to ride the beginner route, when this perhaps this would have been a better option for the first ride if you were struggling to hang on.

Its also quite difficult to know when somebody has fallen off the back of the group without looking around all the time, which is why there are sweeper riders on the Sunday rides, to make sure everybody is catered for.

The Saturday ride in the faster groups do not have sweepers and its really unfair to the faster riders to be expected to wait on the final sprint home?

If you joined in one of the middle groups, then there would always be slower groups behind you on your way to the finish. You could just regroup with one of those by waiting, just like you expect the faster riders to do.

Description of the ride was that is was a leg loosener, think they said avg 24-26km's per hour which I know I can do on my own. Wasn't on the big ride! The avg clocked was 29 and that was with slowing down for the last few km's.

We got left at the Tryall road robots. Rode back to where we started and found no one there. They knew it was my first time (ask if there were newbies) but no one thought to explain that it finished at Driftwood (which I would'nt have known how to get to anyway).

I have to agree with Stratus5 on this point. I also joined the Outriders essentially because I was tired of cycling by myself all the time, and in order to become a better cyclist by getting experience riding with 'better cyclists'. The Outriders website does give the information on how the different rides are categorised by speed but I think it can take more than 'one go' to find your level where you are comfortable.

When i joined I considered myself sort of fit, but I soon realised that I maybe wasn't as fit as I thought I was. But, I took it as a challenge and have got myself to the level where I can now ride with the faster guys, but on bad days even I can get dropped when the legs just aren't up to it. I don't take it as an insult and I don't expect them to wait for me as it's me that wasn't up to scratch.

However, once you know the club and the ride that you are in, then you will soon realise that there are certain points where the group will slow down and it's up to you to get back in there otherwise you go with a slower group behind you if there is one. On Sunday club rides no-one gets left behind.

What i have noticed a couple of times is when new people come along to the club they tend to go with a group where they are maybe slower than the majority of the group. It's probably better to start lower down the order and if you find it easy then move up a group next week. I've also seen people turn up on Mtb bikes for club road rides and unless you're quite a strong Mtb'er then the chances are you will get dropped by the road bikes.

As an actual club though I think the Outriders deserve some praise. Rodney and the committee do a fantastic job of running the club. You get weekly newsletters, race reports written by the guys who take part, club kit at cost, loads of experience to draw upon, workshops for bike maintenance, organised rides with a ride captain, a gazebo with drinks at the major races (Die Burger, Medallion, etc etc), it's financially strong, runs a great Tiletoria West Coast Express, supports it's athletes who do the DC, League etc.

It's also very informal, if you want to ride, then ride, if you don't, then it's no problem. There's no cliques, you come along, take part and join in. The club is only as strong as the members who are in it and with over 200 members I think the Outriders must be doing something right.

I'm proud to be a member and I'll be proudly wearing the club kit at Knysna this weekend.

If it was safe I'd happily ride by myself. The reason I want to ride in a group is purely for safety. I know two people who have been bike-jacked near the N7.

As a female, I have to be even more careful. I can't take the risk of just being dropped and left on my own.

Hi Ratty,

I am sorry you had a negative experience. I dont think it is the Norm. If You Ever Want To Try Again, PM Me And I Will Make Sure You Are Properly Introduced To The Right Club members Who Will Make Sure You are Properly Looked After Until You Are familiar With How The rides Work.

There Is Sweet and Easy Ride, But Does Not Always Run As Riders Outgrow It Quite Quickly. It Quite Big Just Before The Argus Though.

Apologies For The Upper case Letters. I Have no Idea Why My Keyboard Does This In The Hub Conversations.

Edited by stratus5

Kinda know what you mean Heino. Tried to do a small informal club thing for something else here and everyone was eager beavers in the beginning but ended up having to do everything myself and once I started asking other to do some stuff or help out due to time constraint and work commitment from my side everyone quickly lost interest.

I get your frustration and that is also part of the reasons why I would not consider joining a club anytime soon. I would much rather just ride alone or hook up with some random fellow riders and enjoy myself rather than commit to something that would bitter my experience in the long run.