Cape Epic turn over R50 million

dillon

What is the premium upgrade?

I guess bike services, massage, etc.z...?

7 nights in hotels, B&B's and guest houses instead of staying in the tented village, daily massages, transport between hotels and the Absa village, merchandise...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 nights in hotels, B&B's and guest houses instead of staying in the tented village, daily massages, transport between hotels and the Absa village, merchandise...

All for an additional +/- R20k extra, over and above your entry.

Totally agree, I paid R11500 for a team for the first Epic I did and done another since, and will never do it again. Plenty better 'value for money' events out there at as much of a challenge and far nicer riding. But it is based on supply and demand and as long as people are willing to pay the price, the price will keep going up, so what is that doing for MTB in South Africa for the general population? Most stage races cost about R1250-R1500/day , but the epic feels it is comfortable charging double that, so you decide if its worth paying that amount to ride rocky jeep track and walk sandy dunes, so be it?

Next year I am going with 6-8 mates to ride across from Germany to Riva del Garda (same route as Trans Alps) and watch the Giro afterwards for less than it would cost for half an Epic entry, flights included, hotels, meals, etc included, go figure?

Are you doing this self guided or assisted?

Sounds like my kinda entry.

(I'm a roadie)

I love riding.

Here, in Europe, in North America - anywhere.

The Epic is quite a spectacle, and the standard-bearer for MTB stage -races.It is not something I want to do, though.

If racing is your thing, great. More power to you.

If you've ridden in Canada, in the Pacific North-West, in Switzerland, France or Italy, you will understand.

The CE is magnificent and Epic in scale and effort required, but for pure unadulterated enjoyment, its the Breck Epic or the BC BIke Race, or Omega's 10 days of free-riding in Morzine, it's riding the Tour Divide or the Feedom Challenge - for me.

We're not comparing apples here - we may as well be comparing two different worlds.

I know that if someone came to me and said I could do, fully sponsored, the Cape Epic or ride for two weeks in Canada or Oregon or Utah or Morzine or NorCal, I'd pick the second choice every single time.

If I were paying, it would be cheaper every single time. Even in the States.

Congrats to Kevin for having his race sell out in 34 seconds - If that justifies hiking the price, great!

It's just not what I want. Not now. Not ever.

I've just re-found the "soul" of riding. I wouldn't want to lose it by aspiring to ride the Epic. It's a great race, the same way the TdF is a great race. I will never ride it. I will watch it, and marvel at the courage of the riders.

It's just not my thing, is all.

Craft caused major upset during registration of 2013 Epic when bags were not ready. Followed by an anouncement in Stellenbosch by Mr Vermaak that he cannot guarantee finishers t- shirts (craft) at Lourensford the next day...

Reading this article about signing a new sponsor in Switzerland i wonder if they (craft) were given the boot? Craft used to do the leaders jersey

Notice quite a few Craft ads on the hub clearing their Epic stock....