Which is your favourite value for money bib? (Poll)

M L

Cycling Bibs  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite value for money bib

• Assos Uno - R1900
    • Assos Mille - R2400
    • First ascent domestiq - R500
    • First ascent endurance - R700
    • First ascent revolution - R900
    • First ascent pro elite - R1300
    • CWC team - R550
    • Santini max core - R875
    • Santini max tempo - R1200
    • Santini gara- R1500
    • Santini carbon - R1700
    • Santini sleek - R2100
    • 2XU comp - R2100
    • Cape Storm storm rider - R380
    • Cape Storm Nitros - 925
    • Vermarc relax - R1250
    • Vermarc FRC - R1650
    • Nalini chiolite - R800
    • Nalini chiolite - R800
    • My favourite is in a different section.
  2. 2. Your favourite value for money bib

• Nalini spino - R900
    • Nalini lambro - R1300
    • Nalini MOA - R1400
    • Newline mens 8 - R900
    • Castelli presto - R885
    • Castelli T3 - R1000
    • Castelli valocissimo - R1100
    • Castelli inferno - R1450
    • Giordana trade - R775
    • Giordana sport- R750
    • Giordana classic - R830
    • Anatomic 100 miler
    • Anatomic Classic - R500
    • Anatomic racer - R700
    • Anatomic ergonomic - R1050
    • Craft performance - R1000
    • Craft active - R750
    • Craft elite - R2000
  3. 3. Your favourite value for money bib

• Pearl Izumi quest - R700
    • Pearl Izumi attack - R1000
    • Pearl Izumi elite - R1350
    • Pearl Izumi pro - R1700

I'm also tempted to get a pair of Pearl Izumi's now. Who stocks them in the Durbanville, Stellenbosch, Paarl area?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also tempted to get a pair of Pearl Izumi's now. Who stocks them in the Durbanville, Stellenbosch, Paarl area?

Geco Cycles, Cape Gate Lifestyle Centre

Geco Cycles, Cape Gate Lifestyle Centre

How much do they retail for dale?

I haven't seen anyone using the Nalini's, so here goes:

I personally don't have much experience with high-end bibs like Assos or Castelli or Santini or Craft etc, so take this with a pinch of salt. I used to ride with Cape Storm and First Accent because they were cheap. I found the Cape Storm to be really comfortable, But not for extremely long rides. I found that the next day I was very uncomfrtable on the bike, even when wearing the same shorts. So I then moved over to First Accent and for the first couple of short rides it wasn't bad, but I was immediately disappointed on the first long ride. It's almost like the top half/straps of the bib are too short and then the shorts part REALLY ride up... They caused massive discomfort to my gentlemen's area. My training partner has mentioned the same thing about First Accent bibs. As mentioned above, I also only use them for really short trail rides, NEVER on my long road rides anymore.

I also own a CWC kit, but the rubber around the legs is pretty useless.. After 5mins of riding, it looks like I'm riding in a pair of undies. But relatively comfortable for the price I suppose.

I also own a Merrel bib purchased at Due South. Overall a comfortable bib and in my opinion, a very nice looking kit. Slight issues are: Pad is a little too big, so if you shift around too much, it gets a bit uncomfortable. The elastic around the legs are a bit too tight, but they are survivable.

Anyway, on to the Nalini's. In the middle of last year I bought a pair of Nalini Corniola bib shorts on recommendation from a friend. It was just around the time Evobikes opened I think. I was immediately impressed. Even though it's the entry level of their higher quality bibs, it's still a great fit. It fits snug around your legs, but not too tight. The pad is the right sizes and not big and bulky. The cut is a bit odd (meaning the top half I guess), but I soon got used to it.

My training partner has 2 or 3 pairs of the Nalini Lambro bibs and he cannot stop raving about them.

My next purchase is a couple of pairs of the Nalini Chiolite bibs. I definitely also want to try the Pearl Izumi's, as I've read very positive comments about them in this thread.

I personally think for the prices of the Nalini bibs at Evobikes and given that I am only 22 years old and my ass can handle a bit more than all the old men here, I am sticking to my Nalini's and not even thinking twice a bout paying ridiculous money for Assos or something similar. Having said that, if I am fortunate enough to still be cycling another 20 years down the line, and earn a massive salary, I'll give them a go.

If any one is interested to have a look at the bibs I talked about, here are some links:

Nalini Chiolite

(very nice looking shorts in my opinion)

Nalini Corniola

Nalini Lambro

I haven't seen anyone using the Nalini's, so here goes:

I personally don't have much experience with high-end bibs like Assos or Castelli or Santini or Craft etc, so take this with a pinch of salt. I used to ride with Cape Storm and First Accent because they were cheap. I found the Cape Storm to be really comfortable, But not for extremely long rides. I found that the next day I was very uncomfrtable on the bike, even when wearing the same shorts. So I then moved over to First Accent and for the first couple of short rides it wasn't bad, but I was immediately disappointed on the first long ride. It's almost like the top half/straps of the bib are too short and then the shorts part REALLY ride up... They caused massive discomfort to my gentlemen's area. My training partner has mentioned the same thing about First Accent bibs. As mentioned above, I also only use them for really short trail rides, NEVER on my long road rides anymore.

I also own a CWC kit, but the rubber around the legs is pretty useless.. After 5mins of riding, it looks like I'm riding in a pair of undies. But relatively comfortable for the price I suppose.

I also own a Merrel bib purchased at Due South. Overall a comfortable bib and in my opinion, a very nice looking kit. Slight issues are: Pad is a little too big, so if you shift around too much, it gets a bit uncomfortable. The elastic around the legs are a bit too tight, but they are survivable.

Anyway, on to the Nalini's. In the middle of last year I bought a pair of Nalini Corniola bib shorts on recommendation from a friend. It was just around the time Evobikes opened I think. I was immediately impressed. Even though it's the entry level of their higher quality bibs, it's still a great fit. It fits snug around your legs, but not too tight. The pad is the right sizes and not big and bulky. The cut is a bit odd (meaning the top half I guess), but I soon got used to it.

My training partner has 2 or 3 pairs of the Nalini Lambro bibs and he cannot stop raving about them.

My next purchase is a couple of pairs of the Nalini Chiolite bibs. I definitely also want to try the Pearl Izumi's, as I've read very positive comments about them in this thread.

I personally think for the prices of the Nalini bibs at Evobikes and given that I am only 22 years old and my ass can handle a bit more than all the old men here, I am sticking to my Nalini's and not even thinking twice a bout paying ridiculous money for Assos or something similar. Having said that, if I am fortunate enough to still be cycling another 20 years down the line, and earn a massive salary, I'll give them a go.

If any one is interested to have a look at the bibs I talked about, here are some links:

Nalini Chiolite

(very nice looking shorts in my opinion)

Nalini Corniola

Nalini Lambro

Good read.

Am I the only one who finds the assos mille chamois to be very big? When it sits in a certain way it causes chaffing on the gentlemens area.

Still want to give the santini and izumi bibs a try. Money money money!

How much do they retail for dale?

At Gecko the cheap one are R670 and the better ones R1200 to R1700. I don't know where in the Izumi range they feature though. Personally don't like the feel of the Izumi's I saw there

At Gecko the cheap one are R670 and the better ones R1200 to R1700. I don't know where in the Izumi range they feature though. Personally don't like the feel of the Izumi's I saw there

didn't you like the feel of any in their range? Why so?

The term "value for money" is the kicker here... I've worn a R900 pair of Craft that were pretty comfortable but by no means R2,500 Assos Mille. Does that mean they are still value for money though?

I can't bring myself to buy Assos, as good as the brand is, 2 sets of shorts = a wheelset?

Loved my Pearl Izumi's, have a old set of Giordana's i struggle to throw away. I'd definitely look at both again!

The Cape Storm's and First ascent i use for short rides, 1-1.5 hrs.

Recently been using Craft, Panda, they haven't been bad either but haven't used them over long rides (4+ hrs).

Got a set of custom fitted Rockets Bib Shorts, for less than R800 you get a bib that fits you, especially good for odd shaped people, let's face it, there's some big guys with skinny guns and some little guys with big guns, the norm doesn't cater for that. A really good option considering they do different chamois' and so far, enjoying mine, done a 6hr in them no issues, really happy with the purchase. They'll even tailor them for you if you grow or shrink.

Interesting how no body has mentioned F-tech. I'm assuming we got the entry level stuff. First feel, they were great, fitted well & were comfy (did 200km road ride 1st time out in them). Over time, the material has stretched quite noticeably.

Lucky for me I am not a brand whore. I get my bibs made by a lady in Durban that uses the same imported pad as Fox. Price R280. Never had issues. Use them under board shorts riding my MTB. Used them on a road bike as well.

def look at importing through china(kidding kidding) I used to use giordana, I tried specialized(too low for my gut)

I am really impressed with the crafts, we got them for joberg2c and I got unused specialized and gios and the craft still gets pulled out the cupboard, not sure which model they are, put the padding is red