Upgrade - fork or groupset

Wimmas

Hi peeps

Unfortunately for my finances I'm one of those guys who always wants to upgrade whatever I have, it's like a disease :ph34r:

Here's the deal - I don't care about winning any races etc, my main focus is comfort, durability etc. I want to get on my bike and be a proud owner, I must enjoy it and feel as though it's perfect for me. I (like any other individual) prefer components work as effective as possible and do what they are supposed to do (Groupset - provide fast, smooth and efficient shifting/braking and fork provide a smooth ride, absorbing bumps and relieving your arms from a lot of strain).

My current setup

Groupset: (3x10)

Shifters: SRAM X5

Crankset: SRAM S800

FD: SRAM X5

RD: SRAM X7

Brakes: Avid Elixir 1

Fork:

Rock Shox XC 32 TK air (2133g)

I must say I do like the fork thus far, except for the fact that it has chrome upper tubes which is difficult to keep clean, but it is a soft fork and really provides a smooth ride up front. The down side is it's heavy, and like I said the chrome upper tubes. A fork upgrade will save me about 500-600g overall.

The groupset does provide smooth shifting, thus far, but the brakes are junk. I would also like for all components to be the same, as in one groupset. I know that different parts work the same but it's a psychological thing for me, it's as if XT was made to be grouped with XT components etc and another groupset has the added benefits of better brakes.

So what I have to choose between is:

SLX groupset - 2x10 or 3x10?

Rock Shox Reba

Your inputs will be appreciated :clap:

Edited by Wimmas

REBA. Finish & klaar. Rest you can upgrade over time, but the fork will make the most amount of difference to your ride, without a doubt. At the same time, punk up the cash for a fully enclosed gear cable housing. It makes a huge difference to shifting.

Oh - and get some aftermarket rotors to start fixing the brakes.

Stalking your profile i worked it out....

Sizes Small, Medium, Large, X-Large

Frame Race Tech 2 - Alloy 6061 Butted Tubeset

Fork RockShox XC30 Turnkey Lockout 100mm

Chainwheel SRAM S800 44/32/22T

Bottom Bracket SRAM PowerSpline

F. Derailleur SRAM X5

R. Derailleur SRAM X7 10 Speed

Shifter SRAM X5 Trigger

Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1

Brakes 160 Fr / 160 Rr

Cassette SRAM PG1030 - 11-36T

Rims Sun Ringle Inferno - 32H

Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph Folding Bead 29 x 2.10

Pedals Wellgo Platform Alloy

Handlebar Alloy Riser - 640mm x 15mm Rise - 31.8mm Oversize

Stem Alloy Forged - 31.8mm Oversize

Seatpost Alloy Micro-Adjust

Seat Momsen Race

Headset Alloy Taper

Colors Matte Black w/Blue Details

Chain KMC 10 Speed

Hubset SRAM 406H - 32h

Spokes Stainless Butted with Alloy Nipples

Grips Silicone Race

Extras

Weight 12.80kg ( Medium, without pedals )

post-36974-0-23756000-1373310482_thumb.jpg

SamL I have the Momsen R type, with ZTR rims and XC32 air fork, not the standard version. Here's a pic:

post-43973-0-20096800-1373312534_thumb.jpg

Anyway, could you explain to me why the REBA be a better upgrade than the groupset?

I'm a student in my final year of a honors degree and do some work for the varsity, so at the end of the year I get some cash for an upgrade, no loans etc. First need to pay off student loans :thumbdown:

The merida I had, had a manitou minute expert fork on it and it was much stiffer and the ride was much bumpier than the fork I currently have on the 29er, it's much smoother. Maybe it's just cause it's a 29er? Is the REBA also smooth/soft?

Edited by Wimmas

buy the Reba. it will make a discernable difference to ride quality if set up properly. The groupset, not so much. In the overall grand scheme of things the Reba will bring you more joy.

fix the avids first before ditching them.

New rotors will work wonders, and get someone who is a decent mechanic to bleed them. and then eventually upgrade to the 2x10 groupset.

Lastly, the people in Shimano's marketing department will be really happy if you buy the same family of components.

Ditch the small ring on the crank, then set your front derailleur to only work for the middle and big ring.

get some new brakes not going to beat these Shimano Deore http://www.easybike....r-m596-set.html

Then get the Fork.

Care to give a brief explanation as to how you remove the ring and setup the derailleur.

Also just remember the 2 rings left will always be a disadvantaged setup. I have tried riding my bike using only the 2 bigger rings and on the steeper hills have almost always fell back to the smallest ring. Also dropping the small ring will save maybe 100grams which to me is not enough to warrent losing 10 gears basically.

Get the fork, it will have the most impact on your riding, I did a similar upgrade and was very glad that I did the fork rather than brakes or groupset. The reba can be dialled really nicely to your weight and riding style. Your current fork has some pretty poor reviews when it comes to damping.

Reba without a doubt. Next brakes, rd, fd, shifters, crankset, chain, cassette. In that order.

Also dropping the small ring will save maybe 100grams which to me is not enough to warrent losing 10 gears basically.

You should never use all 10 cogs when in your small ring up front. At most 7, preferably the 4-5 biggest ones. Cross-chaining is a bad thing.

You should never use all 10 cogs when in your small ring up front. At most 7, preferably the 4-5 biggest ones. Cross-chaining is a bad thing.

I do know that thankfully. But I'm sure you get the idea of what I was trying to say.

I did the research a few months ago as I had a bee in my bonnet to go 2x10. Unless you have a minimum of R3000 for a decent upgrade it's just not worth it really.