upgrading to 29er?

MischaB

Thanks for all the advise guys.

A friend suggested I ask on the hub if I wanted informed opinins from other cyclist.

I am new on the hub, although I've been cycling for 17 years.

Actually wanted to hear opinions specifically on the Scott and my specific small buildt.Thats why I started new thread, sorry if I irritated anyone

.Maybe just dont read and reply to post if you're irritated by the topic?

Can never understand why people get so defensive and rude about something so trivial.must be slow day at work : )

But at least I spiced up your Friday!

Have a godd weekend.

The hub has pms on fridays...you will soon see. But yes...it was a good *** praat thread.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend suggested I ask on the hub if I wanted informed opinins from other cyclist.

Actually wanted to hear opinions specifically on the Scott and my specific small buildt.Thats why I started new thread, sorry if I irritated anyone

Can never understand why people get so defensive and rude about something so trivial.must be slow day at work : )

Have a godd weekend.

I know nothing about Scott bikes so I can't comment on that.

Think carefully re a jump to a 29r. I say this based on your height. MTB Marinio made a lot of sense in his previous post.

If you really want bigger wheels, 650B may be the way to go - though they are not much bigger than 26r wheels. Some folks will tell you just to get bigger tyres on your 26r wheels.

Best suggestion is to ride a 29r (in the appropriate size) and if possible a 650B...

Have a godd weekend.

Hi Mischa. Sorry for the useless comments.

You can't go wrong with any Scott. Just remember that frame size is very import when selecting your bike. You can't go wrong in buying a 29er. Just make sure the thing does not weigh a TON and think it's a good bike just because it has bigger wheels. For your size a not so heavy bike (not heavier than 12kg) will also make a huge difference with handling and climbing.

upgrading to 29er?

Correction - Changing to 29er!!

Ya, some might say it's a downgrade... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

ok so I have a question that may or may not have been asked before (and I am not going to search just because it is Friday :ph34r: )

why do "they" say that short people struggle on 29ers? is the geo to cramped due to the bigger wheels whilst still allowing the rider to reach the bars? Back in the old days 29ers had issues with turning. That has long since been resolved with the off-set forks etc. Perhaps the issue for shorter riders was, in them old days, that the 29ers struggled to turn, and that plus a short legged resulted in the issue. Perhaps the whole 29er-is-not-for-short-people thing has long since been resolved? rumors will always go on, like when people tell me 29ers cant take a turn, and I end up laughing in their faces at the next race about that statement.

ok so I have a question that may or may not have been asked before (and I am not going to search just because it is Friday :ph34r: )

why do "they" say that short people struggle on 29ers? is the geo to cramped due to the bigger wheels whilst still allowing the rider to reach the bars? Back in the old days 29ers had issues with turning. That has long since been resolved with the off-set forks etc. Perhaps the issue for shorter riders was, in them old days, that the 29ers struggled to turn, and that plus a short legged resulted in the issue. Perhaps the whole 29er-is-not-for-short-people thing has long since been resolved? rumors will always go on, like when people tell me 29ers cant take a turn, and I end up laughing in their faces at the next race about that statement.

Maybe you made one turn but they still can't turn !

Good Q, lots of short people in our group changed from 26" to 29" and their handling actually improved on the twisty single track sections. Not saying the bigger wheel is better but thats just what I noticed.

Maybe you made one turn but they still can't turn !

the question is, gave you been on a 29er with propper geo? If they can't turn, then you are doing it wrong.

Some of the 29er bikes on the market have shyte geo and I can understand why poeple think 29ers can't turn after riding said bikes

Edited by Mr SingleTrack

And you held your tongue for four pages... Was waiting for this statement ;) .

Only just saw this thread now. Sorry for my tardy posting habits... :blush: :blush: :blush:

Edited by Jigghead

Better geometries have greatly improved handling and sizing options. Most manufacturers are getting chain stays to 440mm or less, improving handling.

I know one of the issues with shorter riders on 29rs is getting the handle bars down lower then the seat. The small frames slope quite a bit often resulting in the stem (top of the head tube) being quite high, requiring a very negative degree stem to get the bars back down.

I don't have any actual experience with this sizing issue - just what I've read.

Most probably true , therefor the 26" is more forgiving as far a geometry goes . And also make sure you got very good wheels , the flex on cheaper wheels are huge and scary .

Don't think it's so much a geo thing as a weight and cost thing.

On 29ers under R15000 you usually get a bike that weighs much more than a 26er worth 10k. And when you are 1.6m tall you are going to waste your money trying to hop on the 29er bandwagon and think you will enjoy your bike more, or it will be faster. Unless you are Emily Batty with a moer expensive 29er I would much rather capitalize on the cheap components of the 26er market.

EDIT: sorry, ryan, no idea why I quoted your reply.

Edited by MTB Marinio

Better geometries have greatly improved handling and sizing options. Most manufacturers are getting chain stays to 440mm or less, improving handling.

I know one of the issues with shorter riders on 29rs is getting the handle bars down lower then the seat. The small frames slope quite a bit often resulting in the stem (top of the head tube) being quite high, requiring a very negative degree stem to get the bars back down.

I don't have any actual experience with this sizing issue - just what I've read.

+1, also read that issue.

There was a cool emd XS build in mtbr with this issue.

Edited by MTB Marinio

+1, also read that issue.

There was a cool emd XS build in mtbr with this issue.

Yip - I've experienced it on my medium EMD. The top cup of my headset is fairly wide though so that makes things worse. Neg 25deg stem solved the problem.

Yip - I've experienced it on my medium EMD. The top cup of my headset is fairly wide though so that makes things worse. Neg 25deg stem solved the problem.

You saw the carbon air 9 in the classifieds? As ek maar net geld gehad het :unsure: