Bicycle Lights too Bright?

Caerus

Capricorn, relax, we're not in disagreement with you.

Merely saying that a decent visible brightness light (say 500 or 100 lumens?) is far better than being overlooked by a motorist and getting killed. The chances of a properly adjusted bicycle light causing a car accident because it is too bright, must be much smaller than a motorist driving over a cyclist he overlooked. The most quoted reason for motorists knocking cyclists off their bikes is the "I didn't see him" one. In my opinion, a good light is equally helpful in bright daylight conditions, in traffic and on the open road. A lot of the front and rear lights cyclists use are so dim they are of virtually no use. The too-bright-brigade is small by comparison, but I agree they can be a menace.

I'll 'relax' once i'm not blinded every day by inconsiderates. Small doesn't mean inconsequential.

I agree with you on the too dim lights. I've seen a few of them on the cycle lane as well, and honestly, I wish they knew how dim it was. It's not like the dim lighting is offset by nicely bright and reflective clothing. and i refuse to relax about their safety too dammit!

:P

For those with rear light brightness issues, there's one guy on the cycle lane that has an ultra bright red light. But he is always cycling backward, surely :P, because the light is facing forward, bout halfway down the fork. I think it's teh same guy that normally cycles with a bandana over his mouth. All kinds for sure.

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Capricorn, relax, we're not in disagreement with you.

Merely saying that a decent visible brightness light (say 500 or 100 lumens?) is far better than being overlooked by a motorist and getting killed. The chances of a properly adjusted bicycle light causing a car accident because it is too bright, must be much smaller than a motorist driving over a cyclist he overlooked. The most quoted reason for motorists knocking cyclists off their bikes is the "I didn't see him" one. In my opinion, a good light is equally helpful in bright daylight conditions, in traffic and on the open road. A lot of the front and rear lights cyclists use are so dim they are of virtually no use. The too-bright-brigade is small by comparison, but I agree they can be a menace.

Idiots not seeing you is just that, they are idiots. A guy came out of a side street and I hit him on my superbike - I had my high beam on and it was dark and a superbike lights are very bright. He got out his car and asked where I came from because he never saw me - it was a straight road - he didn't see me because he skipped the stop street because he is an idiot. Then he said the accident was my fault and I drove into him for no reason- WTF?

Then he said the accident was my fault and I drove into him for no reason- WTF?

Bwahaha! "Dammit, I'm bored. What shall I do? Wait! There! Just what I need - a car! I think I'll ride into it!"

Agreed Chris.

Guys do it in my road all the time, they come out of side streets with no intention of stopping and pull out in front of you so they don't have to stop and wait for you to pass. FFS it is a stop street!!!

Bwahaha! "Dammit, I'm bored. What shall I do? Wait! There! Just what I need - a car! I think I'll ride into it!"

Yes, a lady in my complex complained about me the other day, she said I almost rode into her car on my bike - I often ride into cars because it is such fun :eek:

R180K damage on my R90K bike - Maybe I just wanted a new bike - oh, wait a second, that one was only 3 months old

R180K damage on my R90K bike - Maybe I just wanted a new bike - oh, wait a second, that one was only 3 months old

Maybe you should just stick to bicycles :whistling:

I need to get new rear lights this weekend, I need another two at least, currently running two at the moment. I wanna be a Xmas tree on the road

Serfas Tunderbolt

Serfas Tunderbolt

Those are pretty sweet, are they available locally? Yip I see Sportsmans Warehouse has them for R420. Damn and I was at the shops for hours yesterday. Edited by SkinnySweatyMan

Those are pretty sweet, are they available locally? Yip I see Sportsmans Warehouse has them for R420. Damn and I was at the shops for hours yesterday.

Well so much for that, the Sportsmans Warehouse website say they stock the product, when I asked at the store they had never heard of the brand even :thumbdown:

Well so much for that, the Sportsmans Warehouse website say they stock the product, when I asked at the store they had never heard of the brand even :thumbdown:

Don't take the guy in the stores advice as gospel ... I asked a guy two weeks ago if they have any seatposts and he showed me saddles!

Don't take the guy in the stores advice as gospel ... I asked a guy two weeks ago if they have any seatposts and he showed me saddles!

I did call beforehand, they said yes they have them, then when I got there, they said sorry never heard of it :eek: I love to waste my time, especially when I'm ill. :cursing:

On that point, can anyone recommend a good red tail light. I would like to upgrade mine.

Serfas thunderbolt - NO question about it, for me it is the best light around.

Serfas thunderbolt - NO question about it, for me it is the best light around.

Do you think I can actually even get the agents for Serfas to return an email, message via facebook or get through via a phone call? Two Wheels Trading seem to spend to much time on their bikes and not enough time looking at their customers needs.