Creaking BB

Underachiever

I own a Giant Adv ISP frame with a press fit Campag Record BB. The thing is creaking when I am out of the saddle. My LBS says that is the way it is with press fit BB system.

Really? Please help!!

Yup, it is the way it is.

Myuddy water gets in between the frame and BB and eventually evaporates, leaving the dust behind. This creaks. With conventional screw-in BBs we can take them off, clean and replace. With press-fit BBs the removal process is usually destructive so bike shops are reluctant to offer that they will remove and replace.

Progress is not always progress.

Dude, I would advise to get a second opinion on this..............

Giant wouldnt have designed a bike that would creak or make any noise for that matter.....

I would double check the bearings and fitment of the crank.........

Have you by any chance done some water and mud racing of late ???

Do you clean your bike with a high pressure hose ???

Hope it helps

Dude, I would advise to get a second opinion on this..............

Giant wouldnt have designed a bike that would creak or make any noise for that matter.....

I would double check the bearings and fitment of the crank.........

Have you by any chance done some water and mud racing of late ???

Do you clean your bike with a high pressure hose ???

Hope it helps

On a road bike :eek:

Johan that makes sense - I always wondered why it works to simply remove, clean and refit screw-in BB's.

Once in a while I will open the bearing by prying open the seals to clean and re-grease them, but they are seldom dry.

pull it out, clean it. Check the bearings are all smooth, and without play.

Put it back together.

Johan that makes sense - I always wondered why it works to simply remove, clean and refit screw-in BB's.

Once in a while I will open the bearing by prying open the seals to clean and re-grease them, but they are seldom dry.

It is very seldom that the creak comes from the bearing itself. It usually emanates from the cup/frame interface. Obviously greased bearings are happy bearings, but my post was intended to address the creak, not bearing happiness.

It is very seldom that the creak comes from the bearing itself. It usually emanates from the cup/frame interface. Obviously greased bearings are happy bearings, but my post was intended to address the creak, not bearing happiness.

I concur...that is why I specified that I want a BSA BB rather than the pressfit type in my new frame. Very serviceable with standard tools.

I live in Durban and the sea air is impossible when it comes to mating faces like BB cups against the frame.

I always use Copper slip, its the best for threads, aluminium seat posts, etc.

Every removable part on all my bikes has Copper slip on it. Makes like easy when you have to strip your bike and it helps eliminate creaking.

This is my pride and joy. Only a fair weather bike. And NO HP water near it. The bike creaked from day 1.

Thx for the suggestions!