Stage Races: When, Where and How Much

Dubber

Not sure if it counts as a stage race, but i'm doing this one later this year, primarily because for a Gautenger this a pretty cheap way to do a multi-day (2 day) race (due to not having to travel far) and pricing did not seem too bad:

http://www.magaliesadventure.co.za/

Edited by silvertemplar

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaah the Garden Route 300. What a value for money stage race. Brilliant event and cant wait to do my next one. Great info !

Say, you want to arrange a three to 5 day mtb tour for yourself and a few friends:

How much trouble will it be?

You'll spend endless hours on the phone and send endless e-mails arranging accommodation, back up transport, meals and still will have to leave a lot up to luck. Assuming nobody will fall ill or get hurt? Are you going to arrange for medical back up? Are you going to arrange land access to some awesome places nobody else can ride, special single track? You'll face a nightmare of negotiations and end up running into many brick walls. Or are you just going to stick to the district dirt roads?

How much will it cost?

I reckon you can bargain on about R1000 - R1500 per rider per day if you go for bed & breakfast type accommodation. Back up vehicle and driver? Fuel? Food on the road? Back up mechanic? Spares? Camping to save money? Who is going to break and pitch camp for you, transport your belongings? At what cost? You plan to do it yourself? It is a PAIN in the butt and cut into your riding time. Cooking for yourself also after a 6 hour ride? Or eat out of cans for a few days? What about the essential espresso first thing in the morning? Shuttle from the finish to the starting point?

Still think stage races are too expensive?

Not really, not if you take into account what you get at races like Sani and Wines2Whales. Firstly they take care of 95 % of the arrangements, and that is worth a LOT. All you have to do is to train, get your bike ready and show up. Then there are also lots of hidden things you get that are really valuable. Like knowing there is a chopper minutes away to casevac you if you get seriously injured and having a friendly medic to disinfect your roasties. Did I mention the physios and the massage girls? You often get access to places nobody else can ride. You get specially built single track. Umkumaas Valley anyone? That super jacket, t-shirt, beanie, water bottle, duffel you found in your goody bag? It's worth more than you think. The Red Bull girls dancing and cheering you on the meanest climb? Priceless!

I'm just watching the highlights of Joburg2c....

Just yesterday I said I still want to go do it, now I'm convinced it is going to be one of my 30th birthday gifts to myself. :)

It's really a special ride...ride the beloved country sums it up nicely.

Guest Omega Man

Say, you want to arrange a three to 5 day mtb tour for yourself and a few friends:

How much trouble will it be?

You'll spend endless hours on the phone and send endless e-mails arranging accommodation, back up transport, meals and still will have to leave a lot up to luck. Assuming nobody will fall ill or get hurt? Are you going to arrange for medical back up? Are you going to arrange land access to some awesome places nobody else can ride, special single track? You'll face a nightmare of negotiations and end up running into many brick walls. Or are you just going to stick to the district dirt roads?

How much will it cost?

I reckon you can bargain on about R1000 - R1500 per rider per day if you go for bed & breakfast type accommodation. Back up vehicle and driver? Fuel? Food on the road? Back up mechanic? Spares? Camping to save money? Who is going to break and pitch camp for you, transport your belongings? At what cost? You plan to do it yourself? It is a PAIN in the butt and cut into your riding time. Cooking for yourself also after a 6 hour ride? Or eat out of cans for a few days? What about the essential espresso first thing in the morning? Shuttle from the finish to the starting point?

Still think stage races are too expensive?

Not really, not if you take into account what you get at races like Sani and Wines2Whales. Firstly they take care of 95 % of the arrangements, and that is worth a LOT. All you have to do is to train, get your bike ready and show up. Then there are also lots of hidden things you get that are really valuable. Like knowing there is a chopper minutes away to casevac you if you get seriously injured and having a friendly medic to disinfect your roasties. Did I mention the physios and the massage girls? You often get access to places nobody else can ride. You get specially built single track. Umkumaas Valley anyone? That super jacket, t-shirt, beanie, water bottle, duffel you found in your goody bag? It's worth more than you think. The Red Bull girls dancing and cheering you on the meanest climb? Priceless!

I'm organizing a 13 night fully catered trip to France. Lift passes, Airport shuttles and FLIGHTS INCLUDED for 22k.

Yes I think Stage races are too expensive!

Edited by Omega Man

I'm organizing a 13 night fully catered trip to France. Lift passes, Airport shuttles and FLIGHTS INCLUDED for 22k.

All depends what you perceive as value, I wouldn't pay that to go to france to be honest.

Guest Omega Man

All depends what you perceive as value, I wouldn't pay that to go to france to be honest.

Ok I know you are taking the p!$$. Or you are insane. You are a funny guy tho that's for sure. I do get your point on perceived value tho.

Edited by Omega Man

But do you give medals?

It's all about the medals!

Guest Omega Man

But do you give medals?

It's all about the medals!

Haha. I'm giving a t shirt. A Long sleeve one too. Does that count? No stickers tho.

Edited by Omega Man

Ok I know you are taking the p!$$. Or you are insane. You are a funny guy tho that's for sure. I do get your point on perceived value tho.

Seriaas as cancer...rythm is a dancer.

Did joberg2c this year, was awesome, I put value on the fact that I can ride across the country with someone doing all the admin and logistics behind the scenes(feeding me, clothing me, transporting my GHD and sleeping bag and setting up camp at a comfortable spot each day making sure I can have a ****, shave and shampoo). Chill zones with free beer and wifi was a nice touch, bike bays to wash and scrub the bikes the list goes on and on but I suspect you will just snigger at these not knowing how important they are when you are on your own in a remote spot

PS which ones have you done that have made you realize they are bad value?

Guest Omega Man

Did joberg2c this year, was awesome, I put value on the fact that I can ride across the country with someone doing all the admin and logistics behind the scenes(feeding me, clothing me, transporting my GHD and sleeping bag and setting up camp at a comfortable spot each day making sure I can have a ****, shave and shampoo). Chill zones with free beer and wifi was a nice touch, bike bays to wash and scrub the bikes the list goes on and on but I suspect you will just snigger at these not knowing how important they are when you are on your own in a remote spot

Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm just watching the highlights of Joburg2c....

Just yesterday I said I still want to go do it, now I'm convinced it is going to be one of my 30th birthday gifts to myself. :)

On my list to do as well. Come to think of it, I also have a birthday next yeat :thumbup:

I'm with you on this one, I prefer going to Europe in winter...to ski. I'm not blessed with mad skillz and long travel so I'll pack my fat skis rather.

J2C was absolutely awesome and I'll do it again without any hesitation.