Crime on the up in Cape Town

sharkysa

Don't know about everyone else but crime has picked up dramatically in the Newlands area. Guys crow barring front doors open, beating up families and going wild.

Just beefed up security with alarm locks and security gates but still worried.

Would feel far safer with a firearm under my bed but the wife hates the idea. My Labrador is also useless....

What are the options?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Alarm + security doors I think it's alright. They're gonna need some time to get through proper burglar bars and if you have a good alarm system they won't be able to get to the bars without tripping it. And the Security company takes max 10 mins to get to you :)

Idea of having a firearm in my house scares me!!

Keep the Lab in the house at night ,that should give you warning if there is movement outside & don't feed him at night.Stay safe

Haha really?? No good :P

My folks had to get electric fence in their house in newlands. It's rough. Also have friends in complex in newlands with guys that break in regularly. I am in security complex in Thornton so small community and everyone knows everyone and at end of cul de sac. Every where you look there is more electric fences

Hi

Yes I agree having a firearm is scary and there are many reasons not to have one, the people who participate in these activities like burglary are armed and there are too many stories of people being hurt despite giving them what thieves want without any resistance my approach is simple yes protect your perimeter fence and home but if they Breach that through my German Shepard they will have to go through me and my Glock. Better to have a Glock and not need it than need it and not have it.

Would feel far safer with a firearm under my bed but the wife hates the idea.

What are the options?

I feel there is nothing wrong with having/ owning a firearm as long as one has done the proper training on how to use it, when I say that not just a course on firearm safety but also courses how to use it and in which situations

Don't know about everyone else but crime has picked up dramatically in the Newlands area. Guys crow barring front doors open, beating up families and going wild.

Would feel far safer with a firearm under my bed but the wife hates the idea. My Labrador is also useless....

What are the options?

Welcome to the 2 floor of the RSA Titanic

Do as much as you can to deter them, but at the same time also realise that it is just a deterrent.

Somebody really wanting to get in is probably going to get in.

Most one can hope for is not to be there at the time.

There seems to be an increase in incidents where residents are on the premises because we let our guards down when we think we're in the safety of home.

Don't believe in the gun thing at all, test the reaction time of ur security company. 10 min is to long... Doesn't matter what u put in there way with enough time they will get trough it. Place panic buttons in proper locations.

I think Sharkeysa crime is on the up everywhere, not just CT or JHB or Durbs or wherever, its a general trend in my opinion.

I also stay in a gated community, guards at the gate, security booms, 24 hour patrols by resident security company, access control for everyone, voice and photo recording for visitors, perimeter electric fence, you name it we have invested in it, ...........last night was our AGM and this year alone we have had 17 reported break ins, mostly small stuff and according to records mostly due to the owners poor security precautions like leaving windows open at night when you are out, leaving doors ajar and so on, but we had two break ins where the trellidoor was broken down in one and in another the back door was levered open.

So yeah, mostly opportunistic theft I agree, but if someone wants to come in, they gonna come in, thats the end of it.

I feel there is nothing wrong with having/ owning a firearm as long as one has done the proper training on how to use it, when I say that not just a course on firearm safety but also courses how to use it and in which situations

+1

Responsible firearm ownership. Reason why we handed in our firearm as neither my wife or I would be able to use it in a situation.

Living and commuting between the two cities I can tell you I am still more weary when in JHB. CT alarm reaction times are poor and from what I gather intruders are more likely armed with knives than firearms - especially in Newlands/Rondebosch...? Still unpleasant, friends that live right next door (border it) to the Rondebosch police station above the church got burgled 2 or 3 times last year!

Also the contrast is quite stark, in JHB you see companies like Core, CSS, SWAT with guards carrying automatic weapons whereas down here it is helmets? Maybe time to launch something similar down here, but I doubt people would pay the R600 odd per month...

Problem I see with a firearm is that when you need it you are probably unlikely to have it with you and then it is +1 for the tossers.

Edited by prox

What are the options?

I fitted these rolling spikes to my perimeter wall this last week as my new house had 22 break-ins in the last 6 months before I moved in last week. Just the day before my move they stole two outside brass taps and a basin from the maids toilet.

Only had the house for a week but no more incidents. Now my neighbours also want to fit them. They cost R100 pm (ex VAT, delivery is R250 per order). Very easy DIY project and can be fitted on flat surfaces and precast walls.

This should never be your only defence but it works very well as a deterrent. Nothing will stop a criminal who has targeted your house but it will stop crimes of opportunity.

http://www.starwalls.co.za

http://www.starwalls.co.za/resources/graphics/jpeg/photo/DSC01417.jpg

where I stay in our road about 8 of the more or less twenty houses are occupied all the time next door to me 2 houses are used as small run from home bushinesses nothing obtrusive or irritating. A man from our armed response company stays accoss the road .. our armed response company headquarters are 2 minutes away. They get to our property before they get their call to us about 2 min. then there are the people watching from the mountain that I didn't even know about and only found when one of their guys sent a warning that there was a group of guys looking into cars outside my house ..added to all this it is not an affluent area or I don't quite know how to put it ..for example if they broke into our house they would be very disapointed as we don't have all fancy stuff I think my bike might be the most valuable thing in the house and that is only worth about R3g second hand the laptops are ancient and 2 are infested with viruses the tv is so old it should be in a museum the DVD player is one of those R200 jobs but about 8 years old our HI Fi now thats a good joke I doubt they would get much for that maybe R50 lol and thats it no jewelry no no satelites etc . When I've had guys come to do work here I can hear them thinking wtf theres nothing to steal.... of course now that I've said this all I'd better touch wood theres some demented tikoppe out there that'll literally kill you for 20c...