Can you "Bunnyhop" without clipless?

braailegend

169 members have voted

1. 1. Can you bunnyhop without clipless?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know, The Shop assistant told me I need clipless to ride a bike
    • Impossibru, you cannot bunnyhop without clipless
  2. 2. How high can you go, with or without clipless?

• a Pavement
    • 30cm
    • 60cm
    • 90cm
    • 1m+
    • None

Can a "bunnyhop" on clipless be called a bunnyhop or should it be called a "jerk-up"?

More like a jerk-off

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

used to be able to clear it easily... when I was still at school. Had one of these, but Trial fitted handlebars and size 13".

1m is really not that exceptional... If you move in certain circles of mountainbiking (Trails, DJ, Street)

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb1897148/p3pb1897148.jpg

nou weet ek wie jy is. Pla my al vandat jy begin post het. Wou se dis jy.

I remember you bunnyhopping over basically anything you wanted to in school with that bike.

ons moet 'n slag gaan saamry weer.

cheers

Phlippie

This is how you do it.

Never seen a BMXer using cleats either ;)

post-24109-0-82296700-1374696162_thumb.jpg

BMX racers (racers only) use cleats at the top level. But lighties are forced to use flats for skills development. The only reason they use cleats at the top level is 'cos they (along with track riders) are the ONLY ones to FULLY utilise the pedal strokes - they literally PULL on the upstroke 'cos the races are pretty much won at the gate and on the first straight. Power is king.

For any other type of BMX, they use flats. Solely. Cleats on a BMX / / DJ / Trials bike would be suicide.

BMX racers (racers only) use cleats at the top level. But lighties are forced to use flats for skills development. The only reason they use cleats at the top level is 'cos they (along with track riders) are the ONLY ones to FULLY utilise the pedal strokes - they literally PULL on the upstroke 'cos the races are pretty much won at the gate and on the first straight. Power is king.

For any other type of BMX, they use flats. Solely. Cleats on a BMX / / DJ / Trials bike would be suicide.

This is true... It's also because they don't even stop pedalling when they are getting air, those dudes are insane!!

I was of course thinking along the lines of the skate park and DJ crews - try doing a tail whip when you're clipped in :D

I use to bunny hop over car bonnets in my hay day on the BMX Mongoose California. With a bit of practice I would still easily be able to do it again.

This is true... It's also because they don't even stop pedalling when they are getting air, those dudes are insane!!

I was of course thinking along the lines of the skate park and DJ crews - try doing a tail whip when you're clipped in :D

that would be taking it to whole new level, imagine all the respect you would earn.

Having said all of this, it is probably possible to bunny hop just as high when using cleats .... If you're using the proper technique, and not the "jerk off" move, as sir M so eloquently put it... Hahaha

More than that, try LANDING a tailwhip / superman / can-can when you're on clips!

Having said all of this, it is probably possible to bunny hop just as high when using cleats .... If you're using the proper technique, and not the "jerk off" move, as sir M so eloquently put it... Hahaha

Absolutely. But the point is that if you start on clips, you'll never learn the proper technique 'cos you'll never "need to" because you'll be a jerk-off. LOL.

ONLY way to learn how to hop properly is to do it on flats.

that would be taking it to whole new level, imagine all the respect you would earn.

Yea. Ask Greg Minaar what happens when you try do a superman when riding cleated :D

Yea. Ask Greg Minaar what happens when you try do a superman when riding cleated :D

You mean like this, where he's actually on flats?

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2/photos/59725/s1600_minnaar_5960.jpg?1374621734

Many moons ago the SA Trials champ, Dylan Victor, rode with clips. Was nerve wrecking to see him ride. I did it once or twice on clips and it sucked. A LOT!

Flats for ever!

You mean like this, where he's actually on flats?

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2/photos/59725/s1600_minnaar_5960.jpg?1374621734

Yes :)

I heard a story where he attempted it with his clip less pedals and managed to see his ass. Not verified though so I could be talking out my ass.

I could easily see how it could go wrong though, even for someone as talented as GM.

Many moons ago the SA Trials champ, Dylan Victor, rode with clips. Was nerve wrecking to see him ride. I did it once or twice on clips and it sucked. A LOT!

Flats for ever!

But the whole point of trials is not to put your foot down, so maybe clipped in isn't such a bad idea..... If you're one of those aliens like macaskill etc. :D

Akrigg, on a hardtail 29er riding uphill, with flat pedals and 510's:

post-4006-1374694889,1812.jpg

Firstly, Yes Akrigg is amazing on a bike but no, that is not a bunny hop, well only a bunny hop.

he bunny hops off a small kicker which gives him more height.

But the whole point of trials is not to put your foot down, so maybe clipped in isn't such a bad idea..... If you're one of those aliens like macaskill etc. :D

Yes, but sometimes you need to put your foot out to the side to balance. mb thats just me because i suck.

Can do a respectable height with flats (well at least I thought it was untill I read this topic) but when i put cleats on i start bunny hopping like a XC rider, need to practice with cleats.

does a 90cm side hop count :ph34r: