2013 Vuelta a España

Butterbean

Great victory V by Konig, Stage 8 winner

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CORVOS_00021838-032.jpg

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched Horner's breakaway win against some of the best climbers in the world...

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Just watched Horner's breakaway win against some of the best climbers in the world...

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

He did it with such ease! Pulling a huge gap!

BMC did it the other day in the Vuelta to slow down the catch

LA threatened individuals and teams in the peloton.Read up on Simeoni

I know about Simeoni, but its a little different I think, its just one guy, it didnt really effect the race, same as BMC thats just standard practice, what I meant was physically stopping racing as he did at the Giro, going to the front putting his arms wide across the peleton and stopping racing, many team managers complained, but the riders said they were intimidated.

Fair enough.... I like him for purely shallow reasons - he looks hot thundering across the cobbles... haha!

Ha, Ha, well, okay, fair enough.

Guys...is it just me or isin't someone like chris horner suppose to beat them that easily... i never had horner in my books for a GC win? I shall not mention that he's 41 also...not joking or implying anything but where did he come from..or are all the rest just tired after the season ?

Pretty well I reckon if his run from a few days ago is anything to go by, he has excellent form.

I hope he takes it for three reasons, 1) I dont like Cancellera. 2) I think he deserves a win. 3) I dont like Cancellera.

You think either of them can win it with a Cat 3 climb in there?

I'm backing Nibali on this one.

Guys...is it just me or isin't someone like chris horner suppose to beat them that easily... i never had horner in my books for a GC win? I shall not mention that he's 41 also...not joking or implying anything but where did he come from..or are all the rest just tired after the season ?

He has pedigree even if he is old.

He is very lean, we'll rested and started the tour claiming he wanted to win. It's just that no one took him seriously.

Maybe he is juiced but its not that easy to get away with these days.

The Vuelta is a long way from over though. Look how relaxed Nibali was at the end of yesterday's stage.

Edited by EZRider

You think either of them can win it with a Cat 3 climb in there?

I'm backing Nibali on this one.

No, I dont, I think the course is quite hard so it will be someone who is able to climb and keep a hard pace, Nibali is the obvious choice but maybe someone like Roche, Basso, Gilbert, Fuglsang could surprise us, even Valverde could be right up there, its the kind of course he likes.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

“Nibali came into this Vuelta at about 75 percent of his full form,” said Astana sport director Alexandr Shefer. “Our goal was simply not to lose time to our main rivals by the first rest day. [Tuesday] is the first rest day, and he is in second place. After that, Nibali is going to be in top form more or less, and if we can get within 15 seconds of the jersey [after the time trial], then we’ll be in the chocolate.”

Velonews

I dont know, its irrational I guess :blush: but he gets under my skin, - I can accept he is a great athlete but I see him as a bit of a "political player" in the peleton, he is quick to stir up protests, slow the peleton down to protest something he is in favor of, get to the front and change the dynamics as he did in the Giro a few years back by telling everyone to stop racing, even LA in his day, with all his faults, didn't do that.

I also think he is a bit of a tool, and he is one of those riders that got their careers "revived" at CSC with Riis. He has great bike handling skills, though.

He has pedigree even if he is old.

He is very lean, we'll rested and started the tour claiming he wanted to win. It's just that no one took him seriously.

Maybe he is juiced but its not that easy to get away with these days.

The Vuelta is a long way from over though. Look how relaxed Nibali was at the end of yesterday's stage.

Yeah he is very lean...and very small..never too worried when a sub 60kg rider goes fast on a climb,it should be normal....its when a sub 60kg rider goes fast in a flat TT that I start to worry....

He did it with such ease! Pulling a huge gap!

I think the "main guys" were not taking him seriously and were more worried about watching each other and most probably thought they will be able to close him down quickly. I dont think they'll make that mistake again.

Yeah he is very lean...and very small..never too worried when a sub 60kg rider goes fast on a climb,it should be normal....its when a sub 60kg rider goes fast in a flat TT that I start to worry....

We will see what tomorrow brings!

We will see what tomorrow brings!

Basso starts to claw his way back up the overall:

Basso was unable to go after Chris Horner (Radioshack-Leopard) or Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) on the climb to Alto de Hazallanas on Monday but looked stronger than other GC contenders Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha) and Alejandro Valverde (Movistar). He lost 1:02 to Horner but actually moved up to seventh overall, 2:20 down on the American.

Basso lost 1:26 to Nibali in the opening team time trial and 1:16 to Horner. He may lose some more in Wednesday's time trial around Tarazona but is confident for the big Pyrenean stages.

"The big days will come next weekend and it's going to hurt…" he joked to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"It was another good performance from me and I'm happy. I tried every way I could to get away but it didn't happen and so when Nibali went, I preferred to stay on the wheels."

Basso seems content to play a long game, knowing the final week and the final mountain stages could dramatically shake up the overall classification.

"I've moved up overall and I'm relaxed for the rest of the Vuelta," he said, analyzing his rivals.

"Vincenzo is very strong but that's nothing new. Then there's Valverde and Rodriguez: they were the three favourites before the race and they're still up there. But I'm there too and will try to get into the fight for the red jersey."