Double Century R6000 per team...your thoughts

Big Mac

7-8 hrs but could also depend on the people who are keen. I would rather go slower with a nice bunch of peeps than get a good time with a bunch of clowns

Good, sounds you have half a team already. :thumbup: You work out the details and keep us up to date.

Edited by Wannabe

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the moan is that the price is jumping up way higher than inflation...therefore it's not a cost based price, but market driven. It's not a new event in any way, but it seems to be getting more corporate/expensive/fency each year.

Two schools of thought here.

1. Most of our purchases are increasing at a rate in excess of "official inflation" and therefore why should this not too given that their input cost may have as well?

2. I'm assuming that, as with most events, there is a limited number of entries available. It therefore boils down to pure economics when taking supply and demand into account?

7-8 hrs but could also depend on the people who are keen. I would rather go slower with a nice bunch of peeps than get a good time with a bunch of clowns

mmm sounds interesting , 7 - 8 hours of riding, with 3- 2 hours for rest and drinking recovery. A 10 hour total trip ....

we might even be able to slip the faster teams for a km or 3 ;) :eek:

Ok then how do other events manage medical, marshals medals on entries that cost a fraction? Beleive me Coro aint doing this for the money

Sponsorship pays for a lot of these things, so possibly they manage the events better than these guys? I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so I could be way wrong.

The bottom line here, imho, is that something is only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it and they have enough people who appear to think that this event is worth R6K per team.

Sponsorship pays for a lot of these things, so possibly they manage the events better than these guys? I'm just playing devil's advocate here, so I could be way wrong.

The bottom line here, imho, is that something is only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it and they have enough people who appear to think that this event is worth R6K per team.

That may be true, if they want to make cycling even more elitist and unaccessable to the masses ..... so much for growing the sport. Imagine the effect on university or development teams that would like to have entered.

Are do you suggesting cycling races should only be for people who are prepared and can afford to pay ridiculous increases?

mmm sounds interesting , 7 - 8 hours of riding, with 3- 2 hours for rest and drinking recovery. A 10 hour total trip ....

we might even be able to slip the faster teams for a km or 3 ;) :eek:

I meant 7-8 hours in total :)

For R500 hope the goody bag is worth it. Our team is entered. Will be my first DC so looking forward to experience. Price caught alot of people offguard. They should have announced prices way more in advance.

I agree, R500 per person for 200km works out to R250 per 100km which is comparible if not cheaper than most other big races which more often than not are around the R300 mark.

Sounds fair to me.

Explain to me why one has to devide the total km's per entry fee to see it is is "reasonable" or not??

what changes over longer distances? More waterpoint? better quality waterpoints? better overall race organization? number of entrants?

To me - 50km or 500km...makes no diffrence...it's the value /experience you get for the entry fee...

The Cape August is what R250??? how do the two events compare from a "value of maoney" point of view?

Ok, maybe they are trying to "avoid" the entries of development teams??? That way all of your bikes will at least be safe at the finishline??? :whistling: :whistling:

hat + coat ==> door...

Here is another thought v- join the Wannabe cycling club in S-west...the club is entering quite a few teams...and from waht I gather - they will sponser most of the entry fee...

The last newsletter said they are still looking to fill some teams...

Club's membership for remainder of year = R150 -00 DC entry fee = R500

Rather join the club, i'd say???

i did the very 1st dc from Charles Milners farm just outside Stellies, it went over Fhoek pass, Bainskloof and then the R45 back to stellies. gale force s-easters all the way to franschoek forced us to ride on the wrong side of the pass and then again all the way to worcester and till the bottom of Bainskloof. then we hit the heat in bains kloof. riders were dropping like flies. then they had 2 out and back dc's over fh pass because of the cheats taking short cuts in the 1st one. then we had the longest one at 228k's in the 4th year which first made a detour thru Paarl and past the VV prison before tackling FH Pass and then Bains kloof.

the ceres route was the toughest and this latest one the easiest imho

just a thought - what do the sponsors sponsor, the entry fees should cover costs if it doesn't then can someone explain why it doesn't.

My manager is going to speak to our group marketing manager if they wil sponsor. Anyone keen to ride under ADCORP?

I want in please!!