Scalpel frame separation :(

SeanScalpel

Howdy hubbers!

I need some advice from you guys about this unfortunate situation I've ended up in.

Bike in question:

2010 Cannondale Scalpel 1 (carbon)

Background:

I bought the bike 2nd hand in February; read, no more 1st owner warranty on the frame (which I think is absolute BS, but anyway).

The problem:

After the last ride I did, while cleaning the bike, I noticed the left chainstay seems to be separating from the frame. After closer inspection, also noticed the support brace pulled loose from the right chainsay.

post-5540-0-05637600-1375255129_thumb.jpg

Now trust me when I say I've pretty much explored every option there is, including these:

- Tried a warranty claim from Cannondale, but I'm not the 1st owner :(

- Tried an insurance claim, but CycleSure reckons this is "wear and tear" damage :(

So the only option I haven't explored yet, and where I'd like you guys input is, if this is repairable or not?

Cannondale and Epic Cycles reckons it can't be fixed. Or at least that fixing it will only be a temporary thing. Is there anyone here with some advice? Maybe even someone that owned a 2010 Scalpel which the same thing happened with?

Any input will be appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be repaired. Your problem is getting the glue into the join effectively. This will require complete disassembly of the chainstays from the BB shell and then glueing it back with a high strength industrial epoxy.

There are a few composites guys who can help you. You may wan tto call around and maybe try NCS Resins and ask if they can out you onto people who do composite repairs

It can be repaired. Your problem is getting the glue into the join effectively. This will require complete disassembly of the chainstays from the BB shell and then glueing it back with a high strength industrial epoxy.

There are a few composites guys who can help you. You may wan tto call around and maybe try NCS Resins and ask if they can out you onto people who do composite repairs

Thanks man! If I end up buying a new frame, I'd have to do a complete disassembly in any case, so don't mind doing that. I'm just not sure how exactly I'll get the chainstays off nicely? Also, how would you propose to fix the support brace?

That may need to be machined off and a new one inserted or just have it gluedback as well. THe tech support guys at NCS resins would be able to assist with suitable adhesives

The only thing Omnico could do is write a letter on your behalf to your insurer that the problem with the frame is a known defect and that you unfortunately are the 2nd owner.

Otherwise repair it.

Thanks man! If I end up buying a new frame, I'd have to do a complete disassembly in any case, so don't mind doing that. I'm just not sure how exactly I'll get the chainstays off nicely? Also, how would you propose to fix the support brace?

Hi

Both the chainstays and support brace look to be glued on. I suspect there is also a pin that goes through the chainstay, locking it in place. It seems to have broken or fallen out of the left chainstay, but its difficult to see from the picture supplied.

If there is a pin in the right hand chainstay, remove it by drilling it out. You might be able to pull the chainstays out of their housing, since the left one is loose, but if not their could be a few ways of using a jack between the BB and a bolt through the droputs possibly.

If you need to go the jack route, clobber the righthand chainstay housing with a rubber mallet at the same time and even consider heating it up slowly, but not quite hot enough to burn the paint, unless you are prepared to repiant. Heat will make epoxy glues a bit softer and expand the alumumium BB so the fit is looser.

Once out, the fix is easy. Simply glue the bracket back onto the chainstay. It only cracked because of the shear forces applied when the left chainstay started to move. Sand the inside of the BB tubing and the ends of the chainstay. Apply glue push back in and pin with a stainless steel bolt. Use glue on the bolt and file the ends off so its pretty once the glue has set.

Best glue is probably epidermix 372 from ABE. Can get it from builders warehouse or most hardware stores. Its an epoxy glue and is bulletproof for most similar applications.

Edited by stratus5

Speak to the guys at Trail and Tar, they have connection with a carbon guru who can make that brand new all over again. I've seen his work and it's insane!

Hi Sean,

It may be even simpler than mentioned above. If the bracket has separated from the right chainstay, then you only need to pull out the left chainstay, which is already loose, so thats a simple job.

Clean up the glued areas and put it back together as mentioned in my original post with a pin and epidermix glue.

Speak to the guys at Trail and Tar, they have connection with a carbon guru who can make that brand new all over again. I've seen his work and it's insane!

Were they making hybrid Al / Carbon up to 2010? dont think so .... might be older. I have one, Scalpel 2000 which is 2004 model also Carbon / Al but the chainstays are more square in section.

2010 Cannondale Scalpel 1 is full carbon.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-suspensio/cannondale/scalpel-1/prd_414998_1526crx.aspx

Where is the shock? Post a pic of the complete rear end of the frame with seat stays so the fram can be ID'ed.

If you are going to rebond it (which is all that needs to be done), best consult a pro who does carbon repairs, they are arround.

ride it until it breaks and then claim?

Technically going this route will secure a claim, but then I might break something as well. Besides, I figured, no damage has yet been done and if a repair is possible, now will be the best time.

I see they're in Boksburg? Thanks, I'll contact them!

Hi Sean,

It may be even simpler than mentioned above. If the bracket has separated from the right chainstay, then you only need to pull out the left chainstay, which is already loose, so thats a simple job.

Clean up the glued areas and put it back together as mentioned in my original post with a pin and epidermix glue.

Good point! I can only pull out and fix the left chainstay. However, if it was you, would you only do one and risk the other one pulling out a couple of months later, or just to both?

Were they making hybrid Al / Carbon up to 2010? dont think so .... might be older. I have one, Scalpel 2000 which is 2004 model also Carbon / Al but the chainstays are more square in section.

2010 Cannondale Scalpel 1 is full carbon.

http://www.mtbr.com/...98_1526crx.aspx

Where is the shock? Post a pic of the complete rear end of the frame with seat stays so the fram can be ID'ed.

If you are going to rebond it (which is all that needs to be done), best consult a pro who does carbon repairs, they are arround.

The link you posted is to the 2011 Scalpel, not the 2010.

I don't have a pic of my actual bike here, but this is what my bike looks like:

http://bikereviews.com/mountain-bikes/cannondale/2010-cannondale/cannondale-scalpel-carbon-1-mountain-bike/

I had the same problem on my 2010 Team Scalpel.

This was a manufacturing issue later sortel out with 2011 frames.

The problem: Stays were coated with paint(clear laquer) before the resin was paled on the stay, and subsequently pushe into the frame. Thus a lot of resin was not effectively bonding between the BB shell and the stay(I can suggest you look at your stays bonding to the rear drop outs as well?)

If you deside to stick them in again. make sure you clean both stays an the internal of the BBshell... the ad resin to both sides to be bonded, heat it up to get tacky then insert, and keep it tight...

If all else fails..... Buy a flash29er... similar travel(he hee)...but a lot less hasle....