The EAI Val de Vie MTB Challenge, presented by Bestmed

ASG

Event Name: The EAI Val de Vie MTB Challenge, presented by Bestmed

When: 24 November 2013

Where: Val de Vie, Western Cape

Category: MTB

C'est la vie for Winelands race

Between ravaging fires and devastating floods, Mother Nature did her best - or worst - to derail this year's Rudy Project Val de Vie Mountain Bike Challenge in September.

But the hardy organisers from ASG Events pressed on and the event will finally roll out across 21 farms in the Cape Winelands on November 24.

"It was a difficult decision to postpone the event but a necessary one" says event director and route planner Darren Herbst. "This is a special race, but to ensure the safety of riders and the quality of the event we had to call it off."

The new date means the event will serve as an ideal curtain raiser for Africa Bike Week, which follows in Stellenbosch.

"The Western Cape will become a cycling mecca for that week; it's going to be an amazing time."

Herbst says the trouble started earlier this year with runaway fires that destroyed the trees and vegetation on the mountainsides. "This affects not only the ecosystems but also water retention capabilities."

Add to that a few hundred millimeters of rain in the two weeks leading up to race day and the scene was set for a disaster of epic proportions.

"We spent months searching and manicuring trails in the area and about 70 per cent of these were washed away or damaged beyond repair. Sections of the route just disappeared under water. It was crazy!"

The intrepid route builders adopted an appropriate c'est la vie attitude and pressed on with the necessary repairs and changes as soon as the ground began to dry out.

"This event has so many special features and we're confident that 99 per cent of them will be ready in time for the event" says Herbst. "This area is like an oil painting"

A special feature is that the race crosses fenced private property, which is not accessible at any other time.

Herbst says both the 30km and 60km routes, which start and finish at the exclusive Val de Vie Polo Club, are aimed at the social rider. "But make no mistake, it isn't easy"

The total elevation for the routes is 300m and 950m respectively. The highlights include some world-class single track and spectacular descents as riders criss-cross more than 30 vineyards and a secured section of a Cape Nature protected area.

"A section of the route also goes through the Drakenstein Prison where Nelson Mandela was held. Cyclists will get to see where he lived and also ride through a working prison"

Herbst says water points will once again be talking points. "We have teams from Virgin Active, Vrede Foundation, Raw Nutrition, Scheckter's Organic Energy, some of the landowners and a host of others en route to make the stops fun. Believe me, there's not just water and energy drinks"

The Val de Vie Market will keep spectators occupied while they wait for the riders to cross the finish line.

More than a thousand cyclists took part in the inaugural event last year and Herbst says the organisers are expecting "significant growth" this year.

The new title sponsor, Rudy Project, which supports some of the top international cycling teams, will be giving away R150 000 worth of prizes including cash, Rudy Project eyewear and helmets, iON action cameras and more.

Riders who signed up for the original date but cannot be on the start line in November are eligible for a refund, says Herbst.

Enter online at www.asgevents.co.za before November 17

Go to Event Page

Edited by ASG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, Don't miss out - this event is going to be awesome this year. Great new route, great prizes, great venue - a fantastic day out for the whole family.

Rudy Project T-shirt to all Val de Vie MTB early bird entrants

With little over a week to go to the Rudy Project Val de Vie Mountain Bike Challenge, event sponsors ASG have put up a nice entry incentive to help Capetonians shake off their wet weather hibernation.

All riders who enter before Friday evening at 23:59 (6 September 2013) will receive a special edition Rudy Project T-Shirt from ASG valued at R180 (limited sizes available).

To enter go to www.asgevents.co.za

Participants in the Rudy Project Val de Vie Mountain Bike Challenge, which takes place in the Paarl wine valley on 15 September, are in for a real treat.

The popular event this year boasts various route improvements and wonderful added features – including a trip past the house where Nelson Mandela was held captive in the Drakenstein prison.

Cyclists will ride through the prison to the Mandela Statue at the entrance where a photographer will be on hand to capture the special moment. From there they will cycle to the house where Mandela was held, through the yard and out the prison’s back gate.

Other changes to the event include a slight shift in the start/finish area. The event will now start and finish in front of the main clubhouse, and not on the back polo field.

At the start of the event the 4x4 track has been cut out to avoid bottlenecks while the drop down at river on Avondale Wine Farm has also been cut out and moved to a safer, easy river crossing lower down, also to avoid last year’s bottleneck there.

Cape Nature has given the race the go-ahead to use vast sections of their land, and this has opened some wonderful terrain, including a stunning viewpoint. From the viewpoint there is a wicked 3km descent which is tricky but awesome.

Cape Nature’s approvals as well as Pearl Valley Estate allowing the event thoroughfare means that there won be any double backing on the way back to Val de Vie.

There were a few contrived sections last year on the way back where cyclists passed each other out and back, but these have now all been circumvented.

The waterpoints at the inaugural Val de Vie MTB Challenge left an indelible impression on riders and this year will be no different.

Partners that have come on board already with the waterpoints include Cipla Nutrition, Vrede Foundation, Freedom Hill Farm, Durr Farm, Raw Nutrition, Val De Vie Estate, Organic Energy, Virgin Active, Drakenstein Prison, Ion Camera (Premium brands).

Entries for the event are open on www.asgevents.co.za.

For further information email eventsupport@asgworld.co.za or phone 076 621 1807

Edited by ASG

Entry reminder - More and more value at Val de Vie MTB!

With a route that is second to none, a wonderful venue and the best waterpoints you’ll find anywhere in the sport, it’s little wonder that the Rudy Project Val de Vie Mountain Bike Challenge already attracted almost 1000 riders in its inaugural year in 2012.

Next Sunday (15 September 2013) all these elements of race organisation will again be in place, but this year new sponsors Rudy Project are adding more than R150 000 in prizes up for grabs, a free Rudy Project T-Shirt (valued at R180) to every pre-entrant (yes, they have extended this to all entrants!!) and a R200 discount voucher on their next Rudy Project Eyewear, Rudy Project helmet, Sidi shoes, Scicon Bike Bag or Ftech ASG kit purchase.

With the Cape starting to dry out after torrential rains, the Val de Vie Classic presents the perfect course and vibe to shake off the cob webs and come out of winter hibernation.

Entries are open on www.asgevents.co.za.

The popular event this year boasts various route improvements and wonderful added features – including a trip past the house where Nelson Mandela was held captive in the Drakenstein prison.

Cyclists will ride through the prison to the Mandela Statue at the entrance where a photographer will be on hand to capture the special moment. From there they will cycle to the house where Mandela was held, through the yard and out the prison’s back gate.

Cape Nature has given the race the go-ahead to use vast sections of their land, and this has opened some wonderful terrain, including a stunning viewpoint. From the viewpoint there is a wicked 3km descent which is tricky but awesome.

Cape Nature’s approvals as well as Pearl Valley Estate allowing the event thoroughfare means that there won be any double backing on the way back to Val de Vie.

There were a few contrived sections last year on the way back where cyclists passed each other out and back, but these have now all been circumvented.

The waterpoints at the inaugural Val de Vie MTB Challenge left an indelible impression on riders and this year will be no different.

Partners that have come on board already with the waterpoints include Cipla Nutrition, Vrede Foundation, Freedom Hill Farm, Durr Farm, Raw Nutrition, Val De Vie Estate, Organic Energy, Virgin Active, Drakenstein Prison, Ion Camera (Premium brands).

Entries for the event are open on www.asgevents.co.za.

For further information email eventsupport@asgworld.co.za or phone 076 621 1807

I see entries close today. I am still not sure if I want to do this race or the road race in Stellenbosch on sunday. If I do decide to do this race later in week will there be late entries available? If so, how much would that be?

I see entries close today. I am still not sure if I want to do this race or the road race in Stellenbosch on sunday. If I do decide to do this race later in week will there be late entries available? If so, how much would that be?

What, they close today, did not see that. I might hold off entering, I just checked the weather and there is another big storm hitting the Cape next weekend. After this weekends Backsberg race I have had enough mud to last me a year. My bike will also agree, not in good shape at all. Needs some love and lube. Edited by schalk1982

The e-mail that was sent out:

Rudy Project Val de Vie MTB Classic postponed due to torrential rains

With more than half of the route of the Rudy Project Val de Vie MTB Challenge still totally waterlogged, and more than 80mm of rain predicted for the weekend, the organisers of the event have been left no option but to postpone the popular race.

The event has been postponed to 17 November.

Riders can carry over their entries to this date, or if you would like to get refunded, kindly contact the race office on eventsupport@asgworld.co.za or phone 076 621 1807.

Well at least I have a cool race to look forward to in November. With the weather forecast it would have been a terrible waste of a good race