The EAI Val de Vie MTB Challenge, presented by Bestmed

ASG

Anyone collected race packs/numbers today or yesterday.Reason for asking is that I am not sure how ASG does their timing, but I thought there would be some kind of transponder chip or tape stuck to back of raceboard.

I have nothing taped to mine, so suppose no timing for me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh for gods sake. you should all try racing in a british summer in the cold and wet. that will teach you to appreciate the heat!

....Hmmmmm....moving on swiflty

Any results? Sorry guys but not a great route. But everything else was great.

Results are up: www.great-time.mobi

Thanks to everyone who came out!!! Was a really hot day (36 degrees in some sections)...and despite Pearl Valley not allowing us to go through the estate last minute (ending up in another beach section right next to the gravel road on the other side of the fence!!) seems most people had a great time!

The floods last week played havoc with some sections of the route...but thanks to the entire crew and local farmers who worked endlessly this week to still find a way through some sections.

We'll definitely be able to start a lot earlier next year now that the new November date is confirmed.

We have already received great ideas and feedback on how to improve the route for next year - please keep those suggestions coming and hope to see you guys next year!

Rgds

ag

I owe someone a bomb and 29er tube.... If you are listening. Drop me a pm. Hot as hell (plenty of waterpoints though) and 5 flats later, i made it to the finish.

I owe someone a bomb and 29er tube.... If you are listening. Drop me a pm. Hot as hell (plenty of waterpoints though) and 5 flats later, i made it to the finish.

Great effort :) !!

The Argus MTB always had my vote for the shi $#@est least imaginative route, going around field after field and around dam after dam just to make up distance. (The only upside was making it your last day of the Grape Escape)

Can never understand that Murant not embarrassed by that route.

But, this VAL DE VIE route, combined with the start times, in Paarl, in summer is in my opinion an epic fail and now top of my list for the k@kest route ever, with sand sand sand and no aah moments or views. Sure it's tough and we all enjoy that, but boy, this was so boring. Last time I will do this. The sales talk made me look forward to the route: what a disappointment ! We were constantly overtaking riders (actually walkers) bitching about too many un-ridable sections, then contious soft sand, followed by too much tar and pavement. It was obvious that a lot of work had gone into clearing parts of the route and making track, but oh boy, this was so misguided and uninspired ! The low entry numbers indicated the lack of thought, of rescheduling this to the Ezelfontein and DC weekend and starting at 8. (These event organisers have taken over from the 94.7 for being too lazy to get setup for earlier start times. Even the Argus road race, with the nightmare logistics can get ready to start in the dark) We were already sweating in the start chute!

Full marks to the (too many?) water tabels with enthusiastic helpers and for the ice cold drinks, the sunscreen ladies for spraying everyone, and the great start venue. (we left after the finishing, but hear there were 3, three ! Lucky draw prizes he he he, so glad I never stay for those)

Copperhead - was that you I was riding with most of yesterday?

With Val de Vie one of the main sponsors and the start/finish venue, a certain amount of sand is inevitable and I felt the route a vast improvement from the previous year. I've assisted with organising mtb events and it is an extremely complicated affair and land owners do sometimes deny access at the last minute.

The waterpoints were fantastic - we stopped at most of them as rehydrating was a real challenge in the heat. Trail markings were excellently done and the washed out descent was very rideable and washaways were cordoned off.

Regarding start times - November could dish up any weather in the cape and moving the start time earlier (especially on a Sunday event) must surely make arrangements for volunteers, paramedics, marshals, .... very difficult. Well done AG and the sponsors :thumbup:

Some good and bad from yesterday.

The Good:

More than enough waterpoints

Friendly staff

The Bad:

Terrible, boring route (30km)

Too much tarmac

Late start times

No tents or shade at the venue. My wife & kids came with to enjoy the day there, but had to go home as they were frying in the sun.

Waited almost an hour at the wash to get my bike and myself hosed off.

Hate to say it, but this was a first and last for me.

anyone got a final route kml for the 60km?

how much did it differ from this, still go through zachariashoek/cape nature loop?

post-1830-0-72806100-1385373847_thumb.png

The Argus MTB always had my vote for the shi $#@est least imaginative route, going around field after field and around dam after dam just to make up distance. (The only upside was making it your last day of the Grape Escape)

Can never understand that Murant not embarrassed by that route.

But, this VAL DE VIE route, combined with the start times, in Paarl, in summer is in my opinion an epic fail and now top of my list for the k@kest route ever, with sand sand sand and no aah moments or views. Sure it's tough and we all enjoy that, but boy, this was so boring. Last time I will do this. The sales talk made me look forward to the route: what a disappointment ! We were constantly overtaking riders (actually walkers) bitching about too many un-ridable sections, then contious soft sand, followed by too much tar and pavement. It was obvious that a lot of work had gone into clearing parts of the route and making track, but oh boy, this was so misguided and uninspired ! The low entry numbers indicated the lack of thought, of rescheduling this to the Ezelfontein and DC weekend and starting at 8. (These event organisers have taken over from the 94.7 for being too lazy to get setup for earlier start times. Even the Argus road race, with the nightmare logistics can get ready to start in the dark) We were already sweating in the start chute!

Full marks to the (too many?) water tabels with enthusiastic helpers and for the ice cold drinks, the sunscreen ladies for spraying everyone, and the great start venue. (we left after the finishing, but hear there were 3, three ! Lucky draw prizes he he he, so glad I never stay for those)

Just a heads up regarding that...when I started MTBing about 3 years ago I thought Argus MTB route was awesome, gravel roads, between farms and getting the "out of town" feeling. The more you go out on your MTB and explore new routes and different venues, the following year you come back to Argus MTB and realize that the route is boring and waste of time.

My point is that there is a lot people who will enjoy this route as first timers or weekend warriors that does not go out every weekend to go and ride MTB. It will be difficult to cater for every person and to find a route that will suite all riders.

I avoided this race. Because of the ridiculous start times, and ASG involvement. I unfortunately think twice before participating in anything they organise. We all went to the Dirtopia event at Delheim, km and km of single track, just amazing. All of us loved it.

Edited by schalk1982

Where can we find event photos?

I just checked on Jetline action photos, I thought I recognised the bibs they wear at events... So there you will find, although they say they are still sorting photos out...... It shouldn't take to long given the lack of cyclist out there ... The highlight for me was the T-Shirt ....