1x10 conversion - Leonardi Racing/ General Lee Adapter

Ysterperd

Flip I'm sooo tempted to do the 1x10 setup with 30 or 32t and 11-36 cassette, but am worried I'm going to regret it. I do the Tygerberg Mountain bike club trails and do a lot of the one day 55-70km races in and around Cape Town. I read your post Jaco-Fiets and think that's it not for me! But then that urge comes again to try it out!

My current setup XT 2x10 Scott Scale 29er weighs 10kgs, my weight is 73kg and I usually finish in the first 25% at races, what approx weight will I save or is it more about the simplicity and cleanup?

Edited by BFScott

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flip I'm sooo tempted to do the 1x10 setup with 30 or 32t and 11-36 cassette, but am worried I'm going to regret it. I do the Tygerberg Mountain bike club trails and do a lot of the one day 55-70km races in and around Cape Town. I read your post Jaco-Fiets and think that's it not for me! But then that urge comes again to try it out!

My current setup XT 2x10 Scott Scale weighs 10kgs, my weight is 73kg and I usually finish in the first 25% at races, what approx weight will I save or is it more about the simplicity and cleanup?

I'm about where you are with regards to the info you mentioned. I am convinced that it is worthwhile doing the conversion. I just don't think 32t front and 11/36 will cut it in a few areas I ride frequently. When Evo gets stock I will make conversion immediately. I will also get a 34t front blade for the odd road type mtb races. As you get stronger you will probably ditch the 32t anyway. But let's not jump the gun. I will see how the 32, 11/42 work for me

Don't think you will spare too much (if any) in terms of weight. The simplicity and lack of potential derailer issues (which I always suffer in wetter conditions) is the selling point for me

Edited by Jaco-fiets

My current setup XT 2x10 Scott Scale 29er weighs 10kgs, my weight is 73kg and I usually finish in the first 25% at races, what approx weight will I save or is it more about the simplicity and cleanup?

Well you lose the FD, Shifter, Cable & 1 Chainring, depending on what you're taking off I recon there's a saving of between 400gms to 700gms, but I think the shift to 1x10 or 1x11 is more about the simplicity and not really the weight, that's added bonus.

The weight saving is about 400g's. I have a 36 on the front but its on a 650b. Not sure how that translates to a 29'r ratio. I started with a 32 but feel the 36 is better. Would love an extra gear on the casette. I think there's a good reason they designed it as a 1x11 and not 1x10.

Well you lose the FD, Shifter, Cable & 1 Chainring, depending on what you're taking off I recon there's a saving of between 400gms to 700gms, but I think the shift to 1x10 or 1x11 is more about the simplicity and not really the weight, that's added bonus.

Cool, I thought so. I'm just trying to make a calculated desicion ito cost vs bebefit. I'll definitely not go for the adapter setup, just feel it costs too much (not comparing with XX1) and my current 38/24 and 11-34 cassette is used in full, so should I fix something that's not broken?! Or will it actually make a sensible difference?

Oh well, guess I'll have to decide before the end of next week when Evobikes gets stock of the Wolfrings!

Edited by BFScott

I was kind of in the same boat as you. Then I did it. Started on a 32 front. Now I am running a 34. My 36 has arrived but will only fit it after W2W Adventure. If you want to look at it or try a ride pm me. I am very close to Tokai. For me it is the simplicity. Sometimes I have to run a few meters but I don't care anymore. It looks great and works very nicely. But on the other hand I understand it is not for everyone. Let me know if you want to check it on my bike.

Thx Copperhead, will pm you when I come out your way again

I'm about where you are with regards to the info you mentioned. I am convinced that it is worthwhile doing the conversion. I just don't think 32t front and 11/36 will cut it in a few areas I ride frequently. When Evo gets stock I will make conversion immediately. I will also get a 34t front blade for the odd road type mtb races. As you get stronger you will probably ditch the 32t anyway. But let's not jump the gun. I will see how the 32, 11/42 work for me

Don't think you will spare too much (if any) in terms of weight. The simplicity and lack of potential derailer issues (which I always suffer in wetter conditions) is the selling point for me

Thx for sharing Jaco-Fiets, it makes sense to maybe get a 30T and 34T

Cool, I thought so. I'm just trying to make a calculated desicion ito cost vs bebefit. I'll definitely not go for the adapter setup, just feel it costs too much (not comparing with XX1) and my current 38/24 and 11-34 cassette is used in full, so should I fix something that's not broken?! Or will it actually make a sensible difference?

Oh well, guess I'll have to decide before the end of next week when Evobikes gets stock of the Wolfrings!

My one mtb is a SS, the other runs 3x9 xtr m970. So I watch this thread with interest, but to be dead honest I feel the effort:benefit ratio is too low currently to consider it. There just doesn't seem to be much bang for buck to justify it yet(early days still?).

The FD is probably the most reliable part of the drivetrain, so I don't think losing it is such a necessity. If you're a weight weenie or trust fund kid, then go for it...otherwise i'd wait till it gets cheaper/reliable or when you need to replace drivetrain anyway.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. Then I did it. Started on a 32 front. Now I am running a 34. My 36 has arrived but will only fit it after W2W Adventure. If you want to look at it or try a ride pm me. I am very close to Tokai. For me it is the simplicity. Sometimes I have to run a few meters but I don't care anymore. It looks great and works very nicely. But on the other hand I understand it is not for everyone. Let me know if you want to check it on my bike.

Did you do the conversion on cassette or are you on 11/36?

I am on a 11-36. It is very seldom that I run out of gears on either side. Tokai is easily do-able on a 34 front. 36 will be my goal for Attakwas so will have it on soon. I understand I will walk a little on that race. I walked with a 3X10 setup on some hills so no change there then. My SS has certainly made me a stronger rider though so it works fo me all round. That has a 36-20 ratio with a 34 sometimes going on for races with hills.

Have you done the trails around Wellington with the 34 and 11/36 setup? Have never been to Tokai so have no reference for it.

Really enjoying the 34 - 11/36 on my hardtail and now recently converted my dual sus to 36- 11/36.

So far no issues with climbing on either bike.

My biggest bugbear with 2x10 is chainsuck in wet conditions. mud/grass fouls the closer spacings of the chainrings easily and messes up the drivetrain. Not having the FD has been a pleasure.

the simplicity of the setup is great too. I have a 32 chainring too, used once, and will probably not use it very much. the 34 on the 29 is an excellent chainring.

Just remember, even with a clutch rear deraileur and a long toothed chainring (wolfring, Absolute Black, Raceface, XX1), you still need to rige a good line. Hectic rocky decents can still flick the chain off, so pay attention

Really enjoying the 34 - 11/36 on my hardtail and now recently converted my dual sus to 36- 11/36.

So far no issues with climbing on either bike.

My biggest bugbear with 2x10 is chainsuck in wet conditions. mud/grass fouls the closer spacings of the chainrings easily and messes up the drivetrain. Not having the FD has been a pleasure.

the simplicity of the setup is great too. I have a 32 chainring too, used once, and will probably not use it very much. the 34 on the 29 is an excellent chainring.

Just remember, even with a clutch rear deraileur and a long toothed chainring (wolfring, Absolute Black, Raceface, XX1), you still need to rige a good line. Hectic rocky decents can still flick the chain off, so pay attention

Hi, are you living in the CT area? And where do you ride?

I was also scared to go single, but I did and it's great. Your legs get stronger quite quickly, and yes, it's very seldom that you run out of gears. It'll make you a better rider.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ridden mtn sabie's mamba with the 32 front and 11-36 at the back? That's the hill im worried about before ditching the 2x10 for 1x10... Any advice except to HTFU? :blink: Oh, i'm on a new scott 910 hardtail...

I am planning on doing that race on my 29HT with a 30 upfront and 11/36 cassette. Lots of climbing so I think my current 32 will get harder as the race goes on. The descents there are short and steepish so I should not lose out much to the other 2x and 3x riders.

I agree with a previous post where the 1x10 actually forces you to ride a certain pace which over the marathon distance does not expire you as much towards the end.

Anyone got some updates on how their General Lee's are doing? Ease of gear changes, cassette wear etc.

The only reason I have not gone that route is I am worried about the delayed changing between the bigger cassette rings. I do XCO as well and am concerned that when a quick change is required due to a gradient change the drivetrain will be left wanting.

Maybe I need a 11/36 cassette for XCO and a General Lee conversion for the longer races. Actually may need 2 bikes.

• 3 weeks later...