What to eat while riding?

Add jam... and butter :)

Easier to eat than any commercial bar.

Eating on a bike does take a bit of planning on what the route is in front of you - eating when the peleton is about to go hard is not easy, and off road, upcoming technical sections and fast downhills are a problem - but SOMETIMES you have to eat - so chipmunk cheeks are useful - as is the technique of throwing away whatever is in your hand... :)

With proper prep - there is not much requirement to eat food unless the ride/race is going to be over 3 hours, and you can get away with just using carb based drinks with no performance degradation - the picture changes when riding/racing more than 3 hours, or when it is a multi day event - then you have to eat.

A casual 3 hour ride around the park does not classify as needing you to eat at all - riding at race pace for 3 hours or more does.

Never thought it be a simple as my all time favourite peanut butter and jam sarmie! This is cool. I'll just pack a picnic basket on Saturday for my 90km ride to try all the options. :)!

Thanks guys. Really useful info. I feel hopeful!

Edited by Daniel Rossouw

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Christmas Tree and I have (on more than one occasion) stopped at KFC mid-ride for a twister meal.

The result...

...we felt like sloths on sleeping pills for the 2nd half of our ride.

Who remembers the Hubster JoLo who stopped at McD during Tour D'urban????

Edited by Big H*

Guest Latent Blue

My recipe:

Below 3h:

- Only water

- Maybe a snack solids (very few): like a banana or some jelly babies

Above 3h

- Pre-hydrate

- Water

- 1 Carb drink - I use cyto-power HP (it just works well with me)

- Banana, Jelly babies, Vooma, Dates (this is basically all that I'm used to)

- Glutamine after workout

- Good meal after workout

In the end just use someting that feels comfortable and stick with it...

racing: banana and gel after 1.5 hours (too intense for anything else)

training: bananas or dried dates and almonds (mixed in a sandwich bag)

I try to steer clear of processed stuff and banana peels can be ditched in the bush which is useful.

Banana and baby potatoes. With a few gels along the way. I find that when I ride for more than 2 hours I start getting hungry and after a while it is all I can think of. The potatoes really takes the edge off the hunger.

And it is easy to prep and eat in the ride. I also need something to break the sweet of the gels and powerade

Don't the peanut butter sarmies get all squashed up in your back pockets? How does the hot sun during summer affect your sarmie?

On training rides, the Jungle Oats energy bars work a charm and vary that off with banana or gels.

During a race it's a different story, as i struggle to chew then. I make use of Ensure or LifeGain as a shake together with gels every so often.

Never had a case of nausea or hunger pains

I cant eat or drink sweet things when I ride. (So no GU's or chocolates or so)

Banana is a sweet as I can go.

And then there was this one time I did that 'big' race down in tha Cape in March and sister made me penut butter samies.

Shame she was so stressed that I'll drop the whole thing (cut into 4 squares) so she packed all of them seperately.

Sweet sister that one.

post-24697-0-14930900-1375789761_thumb.jpg

hehehe

Date Balls

White bread sarmies spread with mixture of powdered biltong,marmite and butter

Oh and with the crusts cut off

Don't the peanut butter sarmies get all squashed up in your back pockets? How does the hot sun during summer affect your sarmie?

Yes for sure! Squashed is good. Lovely

Date Balls

White bread sarmies spread with mixture of powdered biltong,marmite and butter

Oh and with the crusts cut off

Food from heaven.