Who said 15% to 20% price increases for 2014

Swift01

Yah, the Sunday Times had an article on income required for a four person family to maintain a basic living standard, no frills, kids to public schools, 1.2 mil bond repayment, private medical, insurance, etc, have two small cars and maybe save a small amount monthly for a rainy day, and it was estimated 30k per month income was the minimum.

It's scary! And then you haven't even spent anything on "entertainment" yet, in our case cycling. And I'm not even talking about buying new bikes, just maintaining your current one and getting away for a weekend with a couple of friends to go ride.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, the Sunday Times had an article on income required for a four person family to maintain a basic living standard, no frills, kids to public schools, 1.2 mil bond repayment, private medical, insurance, etc, have two small cars and maybe save a small amount monthly for a rainy day, and it was estimated 30k per month income was the minimum.

In reality your talking more like R40K after tax as they are assuming the family only eats pap all day long.

Wife and I got a shock to see how much money we actually earned while working out our budget (she is self employed and salary depends on business). This was during the time that I started that thread about my frustrations of not being able to buy a house even though we could afford it.

I have a lot of empathy for lower income earners as life is about to get a whole lot tougher for them as I've never forgotten what its like to be really poor.

cheaper to spend money on telecom infrastructure then road infrastructure - the current rate petrol increases people will have to think out the box - I don't mind cycling to work as long as there is a shower

I'm currently being head-hunted and the first thing I tell everybody is that there are 2 requirements:

* The company must be on the public transport route I use

* I must be allowed to work 3 days a week from home.

More and more people are now telecommuting and its the practical solution.

It's got to do with the exchange rate (US $ vs SA Rand) ..... guys are not selling at cost + mark-up. They are selling at replacement costs. It's all good IF when the Rand does strengthen against the US Dollar they give you decreased prices imported on improved exchange rate.

Any-thing you import is based on the above principles.

The "old boring story" that SA exports it's best quality fruit, veg, fish and meat is true .... and the exporters benefit from this - BIG TIME.

I have calculated $1.00 = R8-50 is nice in the middle ...... then every-one benefits.

Was looking at 1 of our eskom bills of 2007 (can't remember month now) the other day & I was shocked to see an increase of nearly 400% !!!

In reality your talking more like R40K after tax as they are assuming the family only eats pap all day long.

Wife and I got a shock to see how much money we actually earned while working out our budget (she is self employed and salary depends on business). This was during the time that I started that thread about my frustrations of not being able to buy a house even though we could afford it.

I have a lot of empathy for lower income earners as life is about to get a whole lot tougher for them as I've never forgotten what its like to be really poor.

Oh yeah, I agree.

My daughter has long ago finished school and varsity so I have sort of fallen out of touch of the price of education today, but just listening to some folk at a dinner the other day it seems you would not get too much change from your 30k per month salary sending two kids to private school in Jhb these day either. Its quite shocking really.

tyres have gone through the roof.

we try and absorb some things or dont put as much markup on, but still got to put the price up sometime and then thats when you see a big jump i guess...

the low end market has seen the biggest jumps. there no more R2000 cheapy anymore.

its now a R3000 cheapy!

Oh yeah, I agree.

My daughter has long ago finished school and varsity so I have sort of fallen out of touch of the price of education today, but just listening to some folk at a dinner the other day it seems you would not get too much change from your 30k per month salary sending two kids to private school in Jhb these day either. Its quite shocking really.

A good public school in my area is R1K per child per month. We are lucky not to need private schools where I live (they are more for bragging rights and kids that cannot get admitted to public school).

But then again a good nanny to look after the kids is R4K pm else after care is about R3K for two kids.

Then we need to factor in extra lessons or speech therapy for my son which ads another R1K to the budget.

Just providing a good education and a child minder is costing us at least R7K per month. Without considering inflation, this figure will shoot up to R10K in the next few years as we start factoring in sport and extra tutoring like Master Maths / Master Science.