Dangerous Logs out on Table Mountain

gminator

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll cleanup what i can when I'm out there. Been pansie'ing out because of the rain...

Says the guy who braved it last night.

What happened to the camera that got setup to catch these fools? There is another thread somewhere about this.

Re. The tire, times are tough & if that was me I would stitch that tire. Find one of those street shoe repair dudes in town, they'll do a decent job & with some sealant you'll get another 4000km from it.

Mmmm never considered that, this rip looks quite bad and the tire its is swollen. With my luck at Jimmying things back to life I'm probably better off buying a new tire, struggling to get hold of the tire and the fact that they cost a price of a small farm isn't helping.

Has anyone got experience with specialized ground control as a front tire? The guy @ revolution cycles says they sought of "similarly specked" to the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs

What happened to the camera that got setup to catch these fools? There is another thread somewhere about this.

Stolen.

Vodacom was able to track the cell sim card to UCT lower campus, Rob was going to follow up with security. This is the world..

Funny how the energy companies are still advertising a brighter future. Are they not on earth?

Seriously?

Edited by Pain or shine

Reminds me of that guy in California who strung ropes and stuff at helmet-neck level...

:eek:

Why not prepare a simple flyer with a pic of the logs on the trails and another picture of say a busted up bike or an injured mtb'er with words such as "Please keep the trails clear. If you see any obstruction on the trails be kind enough to clear it. Bikes are expensive and bones take time to mend."

Chances are slim that the OP was the first guy to come across the obstruction on the trail. Trail runners or other mtb'ers probably all neatly climbed over the obstacle earlier the day. I often dismount at Jonkershoek or Tokai to remove a boulder or branch from the trail where there is clear evidence that many others simply stopped, climbed over the obstacle and carried on.

Why not prepare a simple flyer with a pic of the logs on the trails and another picture of say a busted up bike or an injured mtb'er with words such as "Please keep the trails clear. If you see any obstruction on the trails be kind enough to clear it. Bikes are expensive and bones take time to mend."

Chances are slim that the OP was the first guy to come across the obstruction on the trail. Trail runners or other mtb'ers probably all neatly climbed over the obstacle earlier the day. I often dismount at Jonkershoek or Tokai to remove a boulder or branch from the trail where there is clear evidence that many others simply stopped, climbed over the obstacle and carried on.

The areas where they are blocking up the trails are in sections where you come in at speed or a decent decline and it is not very easy to just stop, dismount and carry on. These trails are intentionally being tampered with and it is not a matter of just "riding the trail" and dismounting should there be a natural obstruction.

I also feel that posters would do no good for a situation like this as the person is intentionally doing this and is not doing something haphazardly without being well aware of the consequences.....huge logs, branches and loose rocks did not walk around at night and decide to place themselves on the trail.

The areas where they are blocking up the trails are in sections where you come in at speed or a decent decline and it is not very easy to just stop, dismount and carry on. These trails are intentionally being tampered with and it is not a matter of just "riding the trail" and dismounting should there be a natural obstruction.

I also feel that posters would do no good for a situation like this as the person is intentionally doing this and is not doing something haphazardly without being well aware of the consequences.....huge logs, branches and loose rocks did not walk around at night and decide to place themselves on the trail.

the point is that if other trail users keep a lookout for these obstructions (and those left there by nature) and clear them the chances of me loosing my front teeth is much less. Is the object to catch the guy or to prevent this from happening again? Orginising a stake-out will do very little to change the culprit's behaviour.

Can this be reported as a criminal case as there is intentional bodily harm intended here? Probably Teenage kids watching from their homes in the area as I can't see an adult doing this.

Can this be reported as a criminal case as there is intentional bodily harm intended here? Probably Teenage kids watching from their homes in the area as I can't see an adult doing this.

You would be surprised at the level of stupid that an alleged adult is capable of.

And at a guess the police won't show any interest unless there is a dead body involved.

I'm a cynic...

the point is that if other trail users keep a lookout for these obstructions (and those left there by nature) and clear them the chances of me loosing my front teeth is much less. Is the object to catch the guy or to prevent this from happening again? Orginising a stake-out will do very little to change the culprit's behaviour.

Thing is it's probably just ONE person doing it. A disgruntled dog walker or some such, irritated that MTBers and hikers are on THEIR mountain when a dog isn't allowed anywhere near the other areas that MTBers and Hikers are.

Catch the criminal, sentence him to 100 hours of community service or some such, and make an example out of him / her/.