Garmin - Cape Town office

American Flyers

I was shocked when I went to Garmin office at Capricorn and they told me that they are moving to Joburg Head office.

We need to contact Sportsware House or Cape union Market and they will help us, otherwise they will send it to Joburg. Those guys waste my time and they actually don't know how to work with Garmin...

While I was there, 3 people came and they were upset..

I understand why do they want to move to Joburg to cut overheads costs, but can't they have small office and a technical guy in Cape Town to help us and also make our life easier..

Now I must wait for 3 days for it come back to us....

What do you think?

Durban branch is also closing down at the end of the month.

I thought the coastal areas had more options with shipping etc. and a Branch could be justified.

dont know what to do wrt parts etc but have found that henk at cwc knows the garmins as well as a girl at cape union mart in tygervalley centre.as for repairs i will hold thumbs that mine does not break.

Only thing I've had issues with is the Garmin HR monitor. Sent to HO and they sent me back a brand new and improved strap with sensor.

dont know what to do wrt parts etc but have found that henk at cwc knows the garmins as well as a girl at cape union mart in tygervalley centre.as for repairs i will hold thumbs that mine does not break.

Thanks for that!

I have now moved on & up to Flandria Cycles in Stellenbosch but still know, love & use Garmin.

Will still help where I can.

Chreers

Henk

Oh even bike shops send the units to JHB for repairs. Their quoted turnaround time is 21 days (excluding shipping)

Edited by Tankman

Only thing I've had issues with is the Garmin HR monitor. Sent to HO and they sent me back a brand new and improved strap with sensor.

Hi Sentinel - I have the same problem - is the "new & Improved" strap availble to buy - do you know? I should just send mine in to be replaced. Where did you sent it to?

Hi Sentinel - I have the same problem - is the "new & Improved" strap availble to buy - do you know? I should just send mine in to be replaced. Where did you sent it to?

Howsit pal,

I sent it to Garmin head office in JHB. Took about a week or two but they replaced it. Not sure if you can buy it but the new strap is plastic on the chest area and elastic around the back. This also helps keep wind vibration to minimum so you don't get those huge spikes in HR. Will take a pic of it tonight and post it up.

Thanks, that could be the one I got with my 510... I still however had problems, Sprortmans replaced it once. It just seems to lose HR every now and again. Very frustrating. I did found that the tighter I have it, the better is seems to work, but one can only have it so tight...

This is a pic of the new version....

http://bicyclesnyc.c...rap-54800-1.htm

The strap I got with my Edge 800 is pretty much elasticated with two pins that clip into the sensor, so this was a huge upgrade for me.

By the sound of it, your HR sensor is faulty or the battery is going flat.

Edited by Sentinel

Yip this is new - not same as mine. Not the battery - been replaced - not the sensor as the Garmin indicates that it picks it up just fine. Like the look of this strap... Thanks