MotoGP

SeaBee

Exactly like this one. With the yellow trim on the tail, thats the 1995 model, the more common green trim is the 1996 model.

Incredible to think that this bike is 20 years old already.

Its been standing in the garage with the motor out for about 7 years now. It had some gasket issues (from standing), and I dropped the motor, but never put it back. Hasnt been ridden in 10 years!

Actually a project that I need to get done, and one that I need to get done before I buy a new bicycle..... :(

http://www.stevecarthymotorcycles.com/images/D/SN208186.JPG

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly like this one. With the yellow trim on the tail, thats the 1995 model, the more common green trim is the 1996 model.

Incredible to think that this bike is 20 years old already.

Its been standing in the garage with the motor out for about 7 years now. It had some gasket issues (from standing), and I dropped the motor, but never put it back. Hasnt been ridden in 10 years!

Actually a project that I need to get done, and one that I need to get done before I buy a new bicycle..... :(

http://www.stevecarthymotorcycles.com/images/D/SN208186.JPG

Nothing gives more pleasure than wringing a 2 strokes throttle, you had to have very little mechanical sympathy.

That Aprilia used the Suzuki RGV bottom ends with the Aprilia barrels and heads if I recall correctly.

Big improvement as theSuzuki runs a variable port slide thingie which slid up and down a sloping opening diagonally above the piston which open and closed the exhaust ports (I'd have to draw a picture to get that across better, but if you've opened these motors you'll know what I am trying to say) 

Short of it is these "sliding blanks "were cable driven and when the servo unit failed, which was inevitable as the gears were made of a soft swiss cheese I believe, they would snap the cables and drop these "slides" into the barrel to be pounded by the piston and a spectacular failure ensued. The Aprilia is similar I believe, never opened one, but has a insert to stop the "slides" falling through.

I had the 125 version which we turned solid blanks and ported accordingly, never had a great bottom end but once up and revving pulled like a beast!!!

The Yamaha's of the time, think YPVS, has the rotating "blanks, which varied the exhaust ports.

Ouch, my brain hurts now......

Oh, I'll gladly take that off your hands and get it done btw.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Hehe no ways, that bike will never get sold... increases in value every day.

You are very correct about the motor, it was an Aprilia stamped Suzuki VJ22 motor, you could swop parts as you pleased. Actually happy about this, as parts are easier to come by.

Their power valve was called AETC I think. I had a RG125 too that also used it, when my 125s servo failed, we locked the valves in an open position so that you still got the high end power. Would rather clutch the crap out of it than lose a dice ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rossi on pole for ASSEN!! He has always been quick there.

Qualifying 2:
1. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.627s [Lap 8/9] 313km/h (Top Speed)
2. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 32.858s +0.231s [6/8] 301km/h
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.886s +0.259s [8/8] 315km/h
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.987s +0.360s [8/9] 314km/h
5. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.013s +0.386s [7/8] 311km/h
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.016s +0.389s [7/8] 316km/h
7. Cal Crutchlow GBR CWM LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 33.028s +0.401s [7/8] 312km/h
8. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 33.042s +0.415s [7/8] 308km/h
9. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR)* 1m 33.076s +0.449s [6/7] 304km/h
10. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.112s +0.485s [5/7] 318km/h
11. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP14.1) 1m 33.126s +0.499s [5/7] 309km/h
12. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.236s +0.609s [6/8] 312km/h

Rossi Rossi Rossi ....bring on tmw

He continues to entertain me long after I thought he was done and dusted. Fantastic race, VR at his very best. Classic no holds barred final corner. Bravo.

Did you see the guy in one of the earlier events that was flung off, but held on next to his bike and eventually crossed the line on his knees? Unbelievable...

Absolute Legend!!...Rossi has no equal...but i take my hat off to Marquez for having the balls to give it a go.

Once again, Marquez has shown he is not ready yet.

Even my wife called it:

Marc to catch Rossi, pass Rossi, Rossi to size him up, make his move, pull a gap like the old days, Marc to make a dive and cause a crash....

Kudos to Rossi for congratulating Marc afterwards.

Almost like Rossi is handing the torch over.....

Once again, Marquez has shown he is not ready yet.

Even my wife called it:

Marc to catch Rossi, pass Rossi, Rossi to size him up, make his move, pull a gap like the old days, Marc to make a dive and cause a crash....

Kudos to Rossi for congratulating Marc afterwards.

Almost like Rossi is handing the torch over.....

Yep.

That pass, though! Jeepers that was good.

Did you see the guy in one of the earlier events that was flung off, but held on next to his bike and eventually crossed the line on his knees? Unbelievable...

yea I think it was Niklas ajo...was classic . Had a really good laugh. How he held on was unbelievable . I thought he was gonna bail when he was heading for the wall.

Rossi is still the master. Can't believe mm has half an attempt at implying that he was already in the corner,bollocks he was only half way in as he bumped Rossi round about footpeg level. For someone who's rides as aggressive as he does,never took him for a whinner.

Wonder where the guys are now that wrote Vale off at the start of the season? :whistling: :ph34r:

That guy has got class by the bucket loads.

Exactly. Always backed Vale, and.thought he was just having a rough patch... truly showing what he can do when he's on form