Carbon vs Alu

GrantK24

Hello to all the clever and 'clever' people on the Hub :whistling: ... I am looking at upgrading my MTB (Currently riding a hardtail Alu 2naaier - 2012 Titan Comp, Suntour front shock, entry Shimano groupset etc etc). I am looking to spend around R20k and was wondering if I should look at carbon vs Alu frames or rather ensure I have the best front shock and groupset etc?

I must say I rode a mate of mines Scott Scale Pro Carbon 29er last week and it felt like I had a turbo attached...

Basically my question is does the frame make 'that big of a difference'?

As with the different grades of aluminum, there is notable variance in the quality of composite and the lay-up structures used in producing carbon-fibre frames.

The inherent strength and dimensional stiffness is inarguable, and yes: as Hennie noted, there should be a pleasant improvement in power transfer; all things considered equal as regards components, between an aluminum and composite bike.

If you have a big off in rocky conditions, your repair liability is substantial.

There is the enviromental issue too: as a mountain biker, do you feel comfortable riding a bike that is is no way at all recyclable? As opposed to an aluminium frame which is recyclable at the end of its lifecycle or in the case of severe damage? A point not often considered but one that I think warrants some pondering.

That said: if the brand you are buying into does support environmental sustainability projects and manufacturing in some other way, thereby offsetting the issue, it is less of a debit.

Get a Chinese carbon frame they great quality and very affordable

I might get flamed right now, but I'd rather buy a commercial/big brand with 'years' of R&D, some form of backup, warranty & service? :ph34r:

Umh, alu vs carbon is interesting. But an Alu bike needs suspension, where a carbon one works best as a hardtail. Consider "thinking out of the box" with steel or titanium. Import directly from the supplier and cut out the middleman, for R20k you could have a great bike.

Carbon allows designers more freedom to make the frame strong in places it needs to be strong, and light where it doesn't need to be. This is purely a function of the manufacturing process. Then over and above that designers can design flex into certain sections as well, or additional stiffness.

It is important to consider what your needs are, and what you're looking for. I'm a big guy and wanted a more comfy ride than my old alu HT, so looked at some "more flexible" carbon HTs and alu full sussers. Went with the full sussers, But do find that most of the carbon HTs I've ridden are very responsive. That said the most responsive bike I've ridden was my old Kona Kula made from Easton Ultralight Race aluminum.

Carbon allows designers more freedom to make the frame strong in places it needs to be strong, and light where it doesn't need to be. This is purely a function of the manufacturing process. Then over and above that designers can design flex into certain sections as well, or additional stiffness.

It is important to consider what your needs are, and what you're looking for. I'm a big guy and wanted a more comfy ride than my old alu HT, so looked at some "more flexible" carbon HTs and alu full sussers. Went with the full sussers, But do find that most of the carbon HTs I've ridden are very responsive. That said the most responsive bike I've ridden was my old Kona Kula made from Easton Ultralight Race aluminum.

Kona bikes are something else......

My thinking is this,

If you plan on buying a bike and not upgrading.

I would go for the best components.

If in the near future I was going to upgrade I would get a carbon frame with the best fork and wheels I could.

Carbon is better for power transfer ect ect but only in quality built frames.

At the end of the day its comfort and fit that is most important.

My thinking is this,

If you plan on buying a bike and not upgrading.

I would go for the best components.

If in the near future I was going to upgrade I would get a carbon frame with the best fork and wheels I could.

Carbon is better for power transfer ect ect but only in quality built frames.

At the end of the day its comfort and fit that is most important.

I started riding in February this year and went with a 'cheapie', I ride every opportunity I can (4 days a week) and im already ready to upgrade... Don't want to do lots of little upgrades, I want something that I can ride for a while, feel comfortable on and have fun with (it wouldn't hurt to be able to compete with the top 15% of the field at races?)

I like the advice on the carbon frame with the best possible fork & wheels, BUT obviously there is carbon and then there is CARBON (I have no idea)?

I might get flamed right now, but I'd rather buy a commercial/big brand with 'years' of R&D, some form of backup, warranty & service? :ph34r:

You will be surprised when you find our who makes some of these commercial/big brand's frames for them. And many of these Chinese companies offer warranties on frames. On top of that you can buy yourself 3 frames for the price of one commercial brand AND if you really want to you can have your carbon frame and very good components and still be in your budget.

Wait wait wait, it sounds like I'm advertising here....... :whistling:

As with the different grades of aluminum, there is notable variance in the quality of composite and the lay-up structures used in producing carbon-fibre frames.

The inherent strength and dimensional stiffness is inarguable, and yes: as Hennie noted, there should be a pleasant improvement in power transfer; all things considered equal as regards components, between an aluminum and composite bike.

If you have a big off in rocky conditions, your repair liability is substantial.

There is the enviromental issue too: as a mountain biker, do you feel comfortable riding a bike that is is no way at all recyclable? As opposed to an aluminium frame which is recyclable at the end of its lifecycle or in the case of severe damage? A point not often considered but one that I think warrants some pondering.

That said: if the brand you are buying into does support environmental sustainability projects and manufacturing in some other way, thereby offsetting the issue, it is less of a debit.

Never thought of the environmental issues of Carbon and recycling etc... Definitely food for thought. Great point :thumbup:

Never thought of the environmental issues of Carbon and recycling etc... Definitely food for thought. Great point :thumbup:

Just get a carbon. You want it. Look at momsen they have some specials

SL629 R14,995.00 ON SPECIAL 17" ONLY SL729 R 2012 SRAM R20,750.00 ON SPECIAL 17" , 21" ONLY SL729 2013 R22,950.00 ON SPECIAL 15",17",21" ONLY

Edited by flat29

You will be surprised when you find our who makes some of these commercial/big brand's frames for them. And many of these Chinese companies offer warranties on frames. On top of that you can buy yourself 3 frames for the price of one commercial brand AND if you really want to you can have your carbon frame and very good components and still be in your budget.

Wait wait wait, it sounds like I'm advertising here....... :whistling:

Haha, advertise away :clap:

Surely the big brands put a lot of money & time into the R&D of their Carbon Frames and even though I know they are all made in a factory in the east, they can't be the same can they? (or am I missing something HUGE here?)

To recycle a alu frame does one not need to melt the frame? And as far as I know these melting things use a lot of power to heat up the furnace. This will mean that its not more green to recycle a frame. Not even to mention the poisonous gas/fumes that goes along with the recycling process.