[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

Tried a late online entry this evening but they had closed. Site says midnight tonight they close......does anyone know if they have reached capacity?

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That section is ridable, and there was two lines last time I was there, both are a bit technical but not the most challenging I have experienced there. Not too many loose rocks and there are lines.

If you are not confident/skilled rather walk it, and please move out the way if you see someone belting down because to stop and loose your momentum means it's tough to get going again especially on a descent. Thanks in advance.

This will be my 4th race at VG, so I'm not exactly a total noob when it comes to technical routes, nor do I proclaim to be Greg Minaar :D The section I'm referring to is after the bit where there are two lines, they both merge to one path and there are a few steep, rocky descents with switchbacks, so you can't exactly cruise down!

Last year I went straight over my handlebars, overcooked one of the turns and went into a boulder that shot me off my bike into a thorn tree. Still have one stuck in my arm :eek:

I will happily move aside and let other people ride past if I get off, which might be the case, not too confident on my new 29er :thumbup:

On a side note, 3 years ago when they ran out of water was one of the worst races of my life, rode the last 25 kms with absolutely nothing to drink. :thumbdown:

Going to be my 4th Nissan Trial Seeker, if memory serves me correctly.

2010 was that extremely hot year, and the route down from that same ridge was a different one, more to the East, a vertical descent on some very loose rocks, where I did a body plant and cracked some ribs... even b!tched about here on the hub, calling for warning signs, but you learn to know your limits, most of which are headspace issues,

But that track now down to Daggapad you describe is do-able, to me at least. Just keep some speed up, and choose your lines of course. You need confidence, and commitment.

Is this Daggapad that everyone is talking about on the half marathon?

Not that I can see - you take the gulley route out the hidden valley.

Hey guys, so it looks like you are all excited for this weekend.

I am sure most of you have seen to new floating bridge for the Marathon, but if you haven't, then this is what you can expect on Saturday:

1240217_573894466004156_1729334736_n.jpg

1237594_573955052664764_1153324214_n.jpg

Hey guys, so it looks like you are all excited for this weekend.

I am sure most of you have seen to new floating bridge for the Marathon, but if you haven't, then this is what you can expect on Saturday:

1240217_573894466004156_1729334736_n.jpg

1237594_573955052664764_1153324214_n.jpg

I'll pose the question for a 2nd time. How many bikes can that bridge handle at once ?

I'll pose the question for a 2nd time. How many bikes can that bridge handle at once ?

Good question, plus not sure if that one point is entrance or exit. I see lots of walkers if wall end is the entrance especially if you come down that steep rocky section onto the bridge (when u zoom in) if it is the exit at the wall and up that section again walking up. So how many people can stand on the bridge

Route profiles

Fun Race - 17km | 202m

1185265_573964492663820_1009807019_n.jpg

Half Marathon - 36km | 457m

1208604_573964515997151_759040845_n.jpg

Marathon - 68km | 1190m

*NOTE: Please ensure that you hydrate at the last WP (48km) as it is a long haul to the finish.

1236335_573964512663818_2088842676_n.jpg

Good question, plus not sure if that one point is entrance or exit. I see lots of walkers if wall end is the entrance especially if you come down that steep rocky section onto the bridge (when u zoom in) if it is the exit at the wall and up that section again walking up. So how many people can stand on the bridge

The wall end is the exit of the bridge - you will be able to ride onto the bridge with sufficient speed to keep a good momentum.

I do not know how many riders the bridge can take at one time, but being situated about 35km into the race, the riders should be well spread out by this point.

There will be a marshal to control the flow of riders if we see that it is being weighed under.

There is also a chicken run/portage section as a plan B or for riders that do not feel confident enough to try the bridge.

The wall end is the exit of the bridge - you will be able to ride onto the bridge with sufficient speed to keep a good momentum.

I do not know how many riders the bridge can take at one time, but being situated about 35km into the race, the riders should be well spread out by this point.

There will be a marshal to control the flow of riders if we see that it is being weighed under.

There is also a chicken run/portage section as a plan B or for riders that do not feel confident enough to try the bridge.

Thanx for the response Tim, hopefully the photographers are gonna be positioned there as well, they should get some awesome shots of us swimmers :blush:

A make-shift bridge like that is always fun....if you are out for some fun. Hope there are no serious or agro riders on the day because this is going to give some riders problems. Go look on youtube at the Rosemary Hill bridge and what happens with three riders following each other closely. Poor riders at the back with ten riders on the bridge.....they will have a sinking feeling. This coincidently happend to me at a RH night race with six riders on the bridge....all I can say is that it was deep and difficult to swim with a bike in one hand. You then just hang onto the bridge....another possible problem with some riders losing their tempers.

Excellent stuff can't wait. Still think the mid pack may be walking a bit. Any prizes for a full length wheelie (won't be me i can't do 10m wheelies)

It seems as if that bridge might be 95m......time to dam-duik (with cell-phone in ziplock sakkie). They should have a stationary videocamera there for dam-duik of the year competition.