HannesBasson

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Power2Max (crank) for around R12k

Powertap (hub) price reduced recently but not sure of exact number

Read the reviews by DC Rainmaker before deciding.

Good Evening Hubbers

I'm in the market for a power meter.

What's the best value for money out their?

a few things to keep in mind with PM's.

1. as PM's are pretty advanced pieces of kit they can and do go wrong from time to time, who offers the best after sales support and the quickest turn around time??? Bicycle Power are a fully qualified service centre and generally get units fixed within 24h with no need to return to the supplier.

2. road or MTB systems, to date there only 2 or 3 systems that can really claim they work on the MTB.

3. demo programs, only 1 PM has a demo where you can load before you buy as far as we are aware.

the PowerTap hubs have dropped to below R10 000 (R9 995) for most of their hubs, the road wheelsets sell for R13 000 front and rear into 32H rims

the G3 hub is considered the lightest, most durable and most cost effective system out on the market to date.

thus far only PowerTap and SRM are third part verified to be within 1,5% and 2% accuracy respectively.

@PowerTap...is there a service center in Cape Town ?

Thanks

Unfortunitally not as the international distribution agreement bicycle power has with America only allows for 1 service station per country. We are trying for a second for our clients in CPT though, but for our clients who send wheels up to us in jhb we try for same day turn around depending on time of arrival.

Unfortunitally not as the international distribution agreement bicycle power has with America only allows for 1 service station per country. We are trying for a second for our clients in CPT though, but for our clients who send wheels up to us in jhb we try for same day turn around depending on time of arrival.

Only 1 service ctr per country Huh!!!! why's that. Sounds kind of stupid if you ask me

Only 1 service ctr per country Huh!!!! why's that. Sounds kind of stupid if you ask me

no not stupid, 1 service centre/international distributor allows for a quick and efficient service as a client would deal with 1 representative from Bicycle Power from start to finish this also allows BPT to have a complete history of all the units it sells through its serial number database.

not to mention that is it strongly advised that only a service station serviced a PowerTap hub as after replacing bearings a hub should be re-calibrated and only service stations have to tooling to do this. it is not suggested that a LBS service PT hubs as this may affect warranty.

the 1 service station/international distributor set up would be exactly the same as any other PM available in SA and I would think would be the same as most bicycle part distributors in SA where if there is a service required on an advise piece of kit it should be sent to the service centre, MTB shocks are a perfect example of this.

training and a detailed product knowledge is required when it comes to supporting some of the more advanced cycling accessories out on the market.

I hope this helps??

Best value is a second hand one... :)

Cheapest one available probably is the stages power meters - I am planning on getting one for my MTB soon - more for interest than for training.

I currently use a Cyclops wheel that was originally a wired one, but has been upgraded to Ant+ wireless by bicyclepower trading (and no issues dealing with them either) - I get much better information from it using it on the trainer than riding on the road - where you basically just go at the speed of the bunch - come what may.... or in my case - try to stay with them...

• 9 months later...

Hi Hubbers,

I came across Bicycle Power on this thread a few weeks ago, contacted Dave and took delivery of a demo G3 laced into my road bike wheel earlier today.

Great service deserves acknowledgement and he has exceed all of my expectations.

I have no reservations in terms of recommending either this product or this delivery channel!

Thanks Dave!

FC

Power2Max (crank) for around R12k Powertap (hub) price reduced recently but not sure of exact number Read the reviews by DC Rainmaker before deciding.

crank based would be my option. Will never use a hub based PM again. Way too many wheel failures due to spokes breaking. Ended up costing a lot more than the sticker price.

i don't think any power meters are value for money... simple ride and keep an eye your heart rate etc

mmmm...do you have one, ever owned one, trained with one, raced with one?

If not how would you know they are not value for money?

If you do / did, please elaborate....

PowerTap/DangerDave didn't mention the PowerCal but I believe it's still an option, albeit that it isn't a "geniune power meter".

Powertap hubs/wheels and Power2Max cranks are probably the closest in terms of price (R10k - R15k).

2nd powertaps regularly available on the Hub @ R5k-R7k.

That 2nd Powertap service station in CTN would be great. :thumbup: