D2D

Speedster Scott

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good. See you at the line.

Speed, was good meeting you on Maropeng hill. Apologies for not saying much, was riding pretty close to my limit and needed all the air I could suck in.

By the way you came steaming past I thought you were well on track for a sub 3 but seems you missed it by a few minutes?

This was my first D2D but it seems this year was harder than last year. The winning time this year is 10min longer than last year. The number of sub 3's in the D batch also came down from 21 to 6 this year.

The wind

This was my first D2D but it seems this year was harder than last year. The winning time this year is 10min longer than last year. The number of sub 3's in the D batch also came down from 21 to 6 this year.

The wind

I found the marshalling far better than most of the other races this year. The lead group in D had a bike marshal most of the way. It was the race with the least traffic on the route.

Great race, also need to get better legs for the last 6 kms.

A stupid jump to the next group up the Valverde climb, burned me out, and eventually was caught by the lead D group. I think this broke me and hence my sub 3, I limped home from there, and got dropped by the lead D riders on the turn up the N14 at the end. Still managed a 3.06.

I found the marshalling far better than most of the other races this year. The lead group in D had a bike marshal most of the way. It was the race with the least traffic on the route.

Great race, also need to get better legs for the last 6 kms.

A stupid jump to the next group up the Valverde climb, burned me out, and eventually was caught by the lead D group. I think this broke me and hence my sub 3, I limped home from there, and got dropped by the lead D riders on the turn up the N14 at the end. Still managed a 3.06.

I was in the same mix but managed to hold on after jumping to the faster group on that climb. What kit did you ride in?

Speed, was good meeting you on Maropeng hill. Apologies for not saying much, was riding pretty close to my limit and needed all the air I could suck in.

By the way you came steaming past I thought you were well on track for a sub 3 but seems you missed it by a few minutes?

Hey Ossie, likewise a pleasure to meet you yesterday. Tough ride for me!

Stayed with the bunch until the climb past Toadbury Hall/Valverde. Got debunched in a flash, and couldn't get back on. TTed to the end, but sub 3 was not on the cards. I see my bunch also came up a minute or two short, but put 5 minutes into me in the last 20 clicks!

I see you were just a bit behind. How'd your ride go?

not sure if this deserves a place on this topic, from reading the last 2 pages...

anyways, was my first race ever :clap: managed to finish before the cut off, did a 4:15 with 2 stops.

really really battled the last 5 km. but made it...

also nearly missed the medal, went thru the finish and put the bike down on the grass, then noticed everyone riding past me further up, got on again, and then got a medal.

my first and toughest race, I need a better training route :eek:

and to the guys that gave out the advice, thanks man, I saw those bottles at the Tarlton rumble strips, and after Lion and Rhino park, I was expecting the "rolling hills". but after that, uphill, after uphill, after uphill.... eish

is 94.7 tougher than this race ?

It's either my imagination, or the cold snap over the weekend kept D2D numbers down this year.

I was training in the Cradle, opposite direction to the race, and it looked to me like there were maybe 1000 riders in total. I'm pretty sure its normally about 1500 for the long distance.

It was interesting to watch the race from the "other side", looked like some of the guys were suffering badly.

not sure if this deserves a place on this topic, from reading the last 2 pages...

anyways, was my first race ever :clap: managed to finish before the cut off, did a 4:15 with 2 stops.

also nearly missed the medal, went thru the finish and put the bike down on the grass, then noticed everyone riding past me further up, got on again, and then got a medal.

and to the guys that gave out the advice, thanks man, I saw those bottles at the Tarlton rumble strips, and after Lion and Rhino park, I was expecting the "rolling hills". but after that, uphill, after uphill, after uphill.... eish

Well done on finishing. 4.15 is respectable time for D2D.

94.7 is a bit longer with a little more climbing but it is not as concentrated towards the finish. Makes it a little easier for me

In my opinion, no.

My 94.7 time has always been between 5 and 10 minutes faster than my D2D time.

Didn't do D2D this year, but conditions looked tough.

well done! Not bad for a first race.

IMO, the 94.7 is harder. The climbs is more spread out through the race so you start working early on. D2D seemed easier for the first half of the race so your legs stay fresh for longer

In my opinion, no.

My 94.7 time has always been between 5 and 10 minutes faster than my D2D time.

Didn't do D2D this year, but conditions looked tough.

D2D was done in 2:10 last year (I think). Also D2D is much earlier so most guys are not at their peaks yet.

I guess it depends on each person's own strengths. Some are stronger climbers than others etc

It was my first D2D and did not know what to expect...as I have never trained the Lion loop (as some Hubbers call it) before...got away in group FL only and did about 60 to 70% of the route alone / between bunches and in the mercy of the WIND :eek: eina!!!

Did a 3:28 :whistling: and very happy about it...the end was REALLY tough, but managed not to stop (from all the cramping!!!) hopefully next year will have done more training up to now to get a more respectable time :clap:

Just had an issue at one of the round-abouts where NO marshalls were and had to rely on another racer to help me not to take the wrong route (thanx again buddy!!!) :thumbup: but in all was a great race and with about total 900mtrs of climbing.

Got my medal at the end (just after the finish)...great parking...thanx, will be BACK again next year!!!

Hey Ossie, likewise a pleasure to meet you yesterday. Tough ride for me!

Stayed with the bunch until the climb past Toadbury Hall/Valverde. Got debunched in a flash, and couldn't get back on. TTed to the end, but sub 3 was not on the cards. I see my bunch also came up a minute or two short, but put 5 minutes into me in the last 20 clicks!

I see you were just a bit behind. How'd your ride go?

Dropped off the first bunch at top of Maropeng, rode with a small group to cradle and picked a faster group just past the lion park. Managed to stick with them till the little hill after Valverde. There the bunch got split up multiple times and in the end I rode on my one from the last traffic circle onwards.

Managed not to cramp but only just. Legs were twitching badly on the two bumps in Protea Rif. Ended at 3.13 (beating the wife by a full 50s!!!) which is pretty much the same time as last year. Given comments above around this year being a little harder, I am not unhappy.

Next one up for me is Race for Victory. Never ridden that one but seems much flatter so more my style

This was my first D2D so cannot comment on the past ones. I found it tough because of the cold weather.

I struggled on the last uphills but managed a 3:30

I would like to comment on the goodie bag.

I believe this was a waste of money and many peoples time.

Is there actually a criterium into what goes into a CYCLISTS goodie bag.

I found NONE of the goodies usefull. :cursing: