Unique MOMSEN SL929 stolen in Stellenbosch

WorcesterWheelers

Morning Hubbers.

Especially Stellenbosch and surrounds.

Please be on the look out for my stolen Momsen SL929. Couple of unique features to make it very easy to stand out.

1. Powertap oversized rear hub. (Thru axle).

- Very few mtb's riding around with these. Even fewer on 142+ thru axle bikes. Built on ZTR Crest rim.

2. ZTR Crest front wheel with tied & soldered spokes. Stickers quite faded from the sun and washing.

- Again something you don't see very often.

3. Carbon Fizik Antares saddle with red details and carbon rails.

(Some scuff marks on the sides).

4. Very narrow and well worn Easton EA90 carbon h/bar.

5. 2013 Sani2C bracelet on h/bar.

Bike is not insured so offering a R5000 reward if complete bike is returned.

Thanks Francois

Two others bikes also taken:

26" Silverback Mercury dual sus

- Set of Mavic Crosstrail rims

Scwinn Mesa (White with black & yellow details)

What the hell is going on in Stellenbosch? This is reaching endemic proportions.

@WorcesterWheelers hope you get your bikes back soon. Would you mind sharing with us how and where it happened so that we as a cycling community can be more vigilant? I always lock my bikes to my rack and thread a cable lock through the bikes, but it seems that isn't good enough anymore.

When, where, how?

Hoop jy kry jou fiets terug Francois, 'n custom is net soveel meer spesiaal as 'n standard.

What the hell is going on in Stellenbosch? This is reaching endemic proportions.

@WorcesterWheelers hope you get your bikes back soon. Would you mind sharing with us how and where it happened so that we as a cycling community can be more vigilant? I always lock my bikes to my rack and thread a cable lock through the bikes, but it seems that isn't good enough anymore.

Hi Flymango, sorry for the late reply, been running around trying to find my bike......

I was guilty of being too trusting of my fellow man.

We were busy helping school kids at last Saturday's SPUR Schools XC mtb event at Paul Roos.

Bike was parked next to my bus all day. During the day there was constant movement with people and bikes around the parking lot. I would ride my bike to help kids, then leave it parked next to bus while watching the next event.

Bike disappeared during price giving, while we were celebrating our schools victory in the mixed category.

Obviously somebody disguised as a fellow cyclist walking around the parking lot, loaded the 3 unattended bikes and left.

Lesson, never leave your bikes unattended, even in a crowd. There are people amongst us that look like you and me, helping themselves at events to others bikes. VERY VERY expensive lesson learnt, as bikes were not insured. R100k out of my pocket.

When, where, how?

Hoop jy kry jou fiets terug Francois, 'n custom is net soveel meer spesiaal as 'n standard.

When: Saturday afternoon around 14h00

Where: PArking lot in the school grounds at Paul Roos Gymnasium, during the last Spur Schools mtb event

How: Very easy, bikes were parked next to my bus while we were attending prize giving.

Really sorry to hear man, losing a bike no doubt meticulously customized to yourself is more than just a material loss. Sad when our trust in our fellow man is vaporized.

I lock my bike up even if I just walk round the corner, it sucks.

But sucks less than the feeling of walking back round the corner and having your heart explode in your chest when you see your bike missing.... forever, unless a smallish miracle happens.

Eeish but bikes not insured, R100k of liability on wheels is risky in SA to say the least but lesson learnt I suppose, just wish it wasn't so damn expensive!

I'd make up wanted posters and stick them up all around the area of the theft , and local trails , also email that to all bike shops and police stations, the thief may very well be someone who frequents the area and now finds themselves with some very hot bikes on their hands becuase the pics are up all over. Print them big, maybe A3 size and brightly coloured as possible.