Knee issue

S Ribic

One morning I went for a 8km run but at a high tempo/quick pace. When I got home felt a very light pain in my left knee. That same day I went for a 40km ride. Next day my knee was feeling sore. Took a day off, then this past Sunday went out for a ride, however this time my knee was really painful so cut the ride short and went home.

Since then I haven't done any exercise, this morning I thought I'd go for a very light and short run (just had to get out). To sum up the run, it was rubbish, reason being I ran for about 2km, and my knee started feeling 'tight' and sore, so called it a day.

What am I doing wrong?

Too be honest never really ran. Played other sports but not actual road running.

Highlighted what you did wrong.

Running needs to be treated with respect if your body is not used to it.

Hopefully its not a serious injury and will respond quickly to some TLC or physio

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully its not a serious injury and will respond quickly to some TLC or physio

Will go see physio either tomorrow or next week, hopefully will be fine. :mellow:

If you do decide to run again, make sure you get the right type of shoes. Have your gait (the way you step / land on your foot) analyzed. Getting the right type of shoe (in my case one for stepping on outside of foot) made a big difference.

Hey folks,

I have been mountain biking for a few months now, was really building up my strength and just have a blast riding 3 - 4 times a week.

However, about 2 weeks ago I came to realise that sometimes I may be a bit too busy to ride, so thought that I would start running in between the days when I am riding. Saturday was my off day.

One morning I went for a 8km run but at a high tempo/quick pace. When I got home felt a very light pain in my left knee. That same day I went for a 40km ride. Next day my knee was feeling sore. Took a day off, then this past Sunday went out for a ride, however this time my knee was really painful so cut the ride short and went home.

Since then I haven't done any exercise, this morning I thought I'd go for a very light and short run (just had to get out). To sum up the run, it was rubbish, reason being I ran for about 2km, and my knee started feeling 'tight' and sore, so called it a day.

The pain is on the inside of my left knee, and it hurts when I lift my knee up and down, otherwise I can walk just fine.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be resting more? Rubbing something onto the knee? Ice?? Any constructive advise would be greatly appreciated.

Really upset at the moment because I started feeling good and fit, and as much as I want to be training, I just cannot because of this pain in my knee. :thumbdown:

See what I highlighted above. I had the exact same scenario. Diagnosed meniscus tear. Better check it out before the tear gets worse. If small it could easily be repaired. Go see an orthopedic surgeon, he will do a scope to confirm whether or not it is a meniscus problem. Edited by Sniffie

+1.

If you have good cardiovascular fitness from cycling it is very easy to overdo running and pick up injuries. It is exactly what happened to me.

See what I highlighted above. I had the exact same scenario. Diagnosed meniscus tear. Better check it out before the tear gets worse. If small it could easily be repaired. Go see an orthopedic surgeon, he will do a scope to confirm whether or not it is a meniscus problem.

How long did it take you to recover? Will have to check it out. Just don't have plenty of spare money laying around for these consulations etc. Was hoping rest would do the trick.

I also got this problem but its gone now, and the cause the first time was the treadmill but I am using OsteoEze Gold pills for it and it stays away.

Nothing else helped not even going to the physio.

The pills started to work after a few weeks and I am still using them it helps with:

Cartilage Degeneration

Pain and inflammation

Swelling and stiffness

I had a similar issue but on my road bike. Went to physio but the niggle would go and then come back the next week. The physio suggested i go for another bike fit as the last fitment I had was two years prior. They made some small changes and now the pain is gone and I can get back to training proper. So was well worth it.

Edited by TheRob

+1.

If you have good cardiovascular fitness from cycling it is very easy to overdo running and pick up injuries. It is exactly what happened to me.

Even experienced runners under estimate the effect running has on your lower limbs especially when they start running after a lay off.

How long did it take you to recover? Will have to check it out. Just don't have plenty of spare money laying around for these consulations etc. Was hoping rest would do the trick.

Joh, how long is a piece of string.... I had meniscus surgery in January this year and after 4 months of no running and cycling I started running for 15 minutes 3 times a week, increasing by 2 or 3 minutes per run per week (very conservative I am...) and even now I still feel something around my knee as soon as I increase the time.

On the other hand some people don't have any issues with meniscus repairs...all depends.

Don't procrastinate and try solve it online, rather get it checked out properly... no one can diagnose your problem without a proper physical examination.

I also got this problem but its gone now, and the cause the first time was the treadmill but I am using OsteoEze Gold pills for it and it stays away.

Nothing else helped not even going to the physio.

The pills started to work after a few weeks and I am still using them it helps with:

Cartilage Degeneration

Pain and inflammation

Swelling and stiffness

Nature also takes a few weeks - co-incidence ? I think not...

Pain in the inside of the knee could mean that your mtb cleats are too far in from the centre line. This means that your shoe is away from your cranks thus your legs are not really working in a straight line. Besides: running is bad for you and that is why bicycles/cars/trains/planes/skat boards/roller skates etc were invented

If you never had a probleme before and it only hapend when you start running go see a dissent sport shop take your shoes with so that thy can look at your wear patern might be in the wrong shoe

Nature also takes a few weeks - co-incidence ? I think not...

Yes maybe you are right but after I stopped the first time the pain was back after a week again started the pills and it was gone in a few days again, so the pills work for me