Indomitable Schurter claims consecutive World Title

Vetseun

Was there yesterday. What an amazing event. Well done to all the guys and gals that put this together. The SA riders battled but they were up against the best. The Europeans can ride a bike!!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is our SA riders. Outclassed! Living in a dream in SA. You want compete with the best, go to Europe. No other way

Just shows again how good Burry was. The only SA rider that comes away from this with her head held high is Mariska Strauss.

Masters - different story, loads of medals and champions. Well done guys & gals :thumbup:

Bad fall for Mariske when she was in a great position. Flat tyre going over the jump near the finish !!

The difference with Masters, and to take nothing away from the winners, is not sure how many masters travelled here to race, so there I think locals will always have an advantage.

Elites totally different. All the worlds best.

Was there yesterday. What an amazing event. Well done to all the guys and gals that put this together. The SA riders battled but they were up against the best. The Europeans can ride a bike!!!

Not to attack you, but here is my take.

We are all human, the same humans of the same planet.

A Kenyan born rider wins a TDF.

A South African born kid becomes the downhill world champ.

Another S.A. born kid wins the U23 XC title .

Another S.A. kid makes a great name in the world of BMX.

I cannot see why Europeans should ride better than us, but they do.

Reason being that our local "faster" riders get stuck in to a comfort zone, they get oodles of sponsorship thrown at them and live a dream world, they are legends in their own lunch boxes and when the rest of the world steps up to the plate, we look like clowns.

And bogus titles such as SS titles don't account for world class riding.

Many have gone abroad, and many have come back, realising that their lunch box has shrunk and their pool of talent they inherited was in actual fact not that big.

Big thumbs up to guys Like Minnaar, Stander, Hunter, Impey, Augystyn and Nhlapo just to name a few.

Bottom line is, we need to develop the sport properly and if a sponsor wants to throw money at an athlete to get their brand out there, they better damn well make sure it's for an athlete that has the potential.

Look at the Marjoeska saga here on The Hub, appalling to say the least, thank goodnes for the good heartedness of people on this forum she has been able to go out and test her skill against the best instead of sitting here like some do, at home and sucking their sponsors dry.

**Rant off**

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Rude ba$tard me.

Well done Nino, fantastic and super ride from him.

I see Tumbles mentioned somewhere one rider was on the 29'er + format of tyre.

Was nice to watch the races live on tv.

The event looks amazing.

But was not so nice to see our SA riders getting lapped and crashing out!

Rude ba$tard me.

Well done Nino, fantastic and super ride from him.

I see Tumbles mentioned somewhere one rider was on the 29'er + format of tyre.

Hahahahaha! That was so funny. Nino was flustered a bit and still taking in the reality of what he had done! So when he couldn't get his own wheel size right, he made a joke about Hermida's.

I agree with your earlier point about the SA rider experience. But there was also another difference at worlds. During practice laps, many of the other teams had their coaches out riding the course with them, talking strategy and talking lines. I don't think I saw the Saffas having that sort of mentorship or guidance. There is talent, but it's not being molded well.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Geez

Tough crowd this. Nino made a joke about wheel sizes and he came up with that.

Wait, wait, did you know there was a 29er in the DH, and a rider on a single-crown bike came close to winning?

Hahahahaha! That was so funny. Nino was flustered a bit and still taking in the reality of what he had done! So when he couldn't get his own wheel size right, he made a joke about Hermida's.

I agree with your earlier point about the SA rider experience. But there was also another difference at worlds. During practice laps, many of the other teams had their coaches out riding the course with them, talking strategy and talking lines. I don't think I saw the Saffas having that sort of mentorship or guidance. There is talent, but it's not being molded well.

It would have been quite cool if someone was using 29'er plus just for the heck of it.

The course is not suited to plus as all, however it could have been a huge amount of fun and a good talking point.

Reason being that our local "faster" riders get stuck in to a comfort zone, they get oodles of sponsorship thrown at them and live a dream world, they are legends in their own lunch boxes and when the rest of the world steps up to the plate, we look like clowns.

Many have gone abroad, and many have come back, realising that their lunch box has shrunk and their pool of talent they inherited was in actual fact not that big.

Big thumbs up to guys Like Minnaar, Stander, Hunter, Impey, Augystyn and Nhlapo just to name a few.

Bottom line is, we need to develop the sport properly and if a sponsor wants to throw money at an athlete to get their brand out there, they better damn well make sure it's for an athlete that has the potential.

Look at the Marjoeska saga here on The Hub, appalling to say the least, thank goodnes for the good heartedness of people on this forum she has been able to go out and test her skill against the best instead of sitting here like some do, at home and sucking their sponsors dry.

**Rant off**

I could not agree more , we have talanted riders here in SA make no mistake ( Minaar's, Impey ect have prooved it ) , but they need to spend time racing and being developed overseas , we cant expect them to ride at the pace of the Nino's of this world if they have not spent a few good years doing it with them ,learning , building BMT ect . I speak from experiance .

**Rant off**

Also in Europe, Cycling is a religion.

Would love to see the Bokke play the Swiss.

We have a "different" culture.