Race for Victory 15/9/2013

Speed Racer

That wind was something else! Feel like I just went 12 rounds with Money. Blew at 90km. Limped home. Bit of a crash at the second last (?) water point. Medscheme rider from the front of G decided he should get some water, altered his line sharply and took another rider down. Fantastic organisation. Will be back next year :-)

We must of been riding together he went down about 8 meters in front of me I just managed to miss him

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That wind was something else! Feel like I just went 12 rounds with Money. Blew at 90km. Limped home. Bit of a crash at the second last (?) water point. Medscheme rider from the front of G decided he should get some water, altered his line sharply and took another rider down. Fantastic organisation. Will be back next year :-)

I was in the front group of GL until the reserve - my lack of training, riding, and rule #5 saw to it that I only lasted 40Km in the front group - solo'd until Henley and then caught a mixed bunch (EL, FL, GL, HL and IL's) back to the finish. I remember that Medscheme rider going off the front just after the cheese factory (Drumblade).

There were a number of guys that don't know how to ride in a straight line, in the front group (GL) as well as the subsequent group I found myself in.

That was fun ???

I stayed/started in my "great seeding" of EL. On the top of the first real (only) hill the first 10 or 12 riders got away and I could not stick with them. So I there and then decided to wait for the next group and stay with them as far as possible to shelter from the wind.

My luck , the front end of the Corporate Group ( DL ) was just behind me with 7 riders. Grabbed a wheel and stayed there , worked against the wind a bit , especially the last stretch . . .

Everything felt uphill from 70 km back

Managed a 3:28 and a 7th in group . . . happy with the day out . . and fund to start Later than normal ! :ph34r:

After complaining about my GL seeding (I had 5 consecutive AL group races leading up to this event, all held in 2013), they bumped me up to BL. I must admit that it did cross my mind to sneak into the AL start pen, especially after seeing how many AL riders had decided to drop to BL...but I decided to stay put.

The first 30-40km were slow. Though we managed to catch some spent AL guys this early into the race, we also managed to get caught by a couple of strong CL guys. It's then that I decided that I had warmed up enough, got out of the comfort of someone's back wheel and started stirring things up a little. With the winds "help", the group thinned.

We had quite a good vibe going in our mixed (AL, BL and CL) bunch. There was a guy with an upside down (he started in a slower group) VA number amongst us who hit play on his music player every time we approached a hill. That awesome soundtrack on the climbs might be one of the reasons I managed a 3:10 :thumbup:

All in all a fun event. Just hope next year they get their seeding right.

Lone Rider,

We call him the "Goat", I mean we all ride with our numbers up side down, but he rides BL because he doesn't race anymore, he only ride for fun these days and he prefers long climbs than wind. He doesn't train that much either but usually ride loops in the cradle with us 53-11, no jokes, slowly but he does it. Years back he was riding with VA or A (Can't recall) in the Argus, and he had his iPod on and crashed out and got dissed by the group (rightfully so) so he went for the bluetooth speaker box these days.

Lone Rider,

We call him the "Goat", I mean we all ride with our numbers up side down, but he rides BL because he doesn't race anymore, he only ride for fun these days and he prefers long climbs than wind. He doesn't train that much either but usually ride loops in the cradle with us 53-11, no jokes, slowly but he does it. Years back he was riding with VA or A (Can't recall) in the Argus, and he had his iPod on and crashed out and got dissed by the group (rightfully so) so he went for the bluetooth speaker box these days.

Interesting stuff - thanks DT. Maybe I'll bump into (not literally, I hope) you guys at the cradle sometime. I'll look out for a guy grinding up an incline, at a cadence of 10... :D

Out of interest, anyone else in the low seedings (read gl / hl/ or il) seeing a 6 minute discrepancy between measured vs Racetec - i.e. Racetec showing about 6 minutes slower than actual...? Quite a couple of us tail-enders seeing this...

I started in FL and my time is around 9 minutes slower, but then I was disappointingly slow on the day so it's not like it makes any difference..... :whistling:

Out of interest, anyone else in the low seedings (read gl / hl/ or il) seeing a 6 minute discrepancy between measured vs Racetec - i.e. Racetec showing about 6 minutes slower than actual...? Quite a couple of us tail-enders seeing this...

I noticed the 6 min difference...a bit annoying

We must of been riding together he went down about 8 meters in front of me I just managed to miss him

Might have missed you as a result of the tears in my eyes ;-) What bike/kit were you on?

Notice the 6 minutes too. My garmin and iPhone have a different time to racetec... Thought it was just me!

Might have missed you as a result of the tears in my eyes ;-) What bike/kit were you on?

Scott CR1 and red black white ftech kit

I think mine showed a 3 minute difference - out the GL batch.

Not going to complain - I'm not the race snake I once (hoped I) was.

So that's 15 minutes slower than last year, so I gather I may be a group or two worse off for the 94.7 - again, not going to complain too much, as long as I'm riding and make it to the finish without crashing (or causing a crash), I'm okay.

Edited by geraldm24

That was fun ???

I stayed/started in my "great seeding" of EL. On the top of the first real (only) hill the first 10 or 12 riders got away and I could not stick with them. So I there and then decided to wait for the next group and stay with them as far as possible to shelter from the wind.

My luck , the front end of the Corporate Group ( DL ) was just behind me with 7 riders. Grabbed a wheel and stayed there , worked against the wind a bit , especially the last stretch . . .

Everything felt uphill from 70 km back

Managed a 3:28 and a 7th in group . . . happy with the day out . . and fund to start Later than normal ! :ph34r:

Prozac, you were looking far too relaxed next to me as we followed the Corporate guys around..... :whistling:

Scott CR1 and red black white ftech kit

Yeah, remember seeing somewhere within our constantly changing bunch. How'd you find it?

Prozac, you were looking far too relaxed next to me as we followed the Corporate guys around..... :whistling:

Had a great day out . . . :devil: Wind ? What wind ? (The corporate guys dealt with that !)