Do I do the deal?

NicoBoshoff

Guys I'm looking to trade my wife's HT in and get her a playful trail bike.

Her current bike is the Merida Big Nine 29'er with Stan's Arch Ex rims and hubs. LBS is offering me R9k trade-in value on the bike.

They also have a Spez XC which they will soop up with Stans Arch Ex rims and some Spez rubber for R13500 (R4500 after trade-in). Deal or No Deal?

Spec sheet for the XC : http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/ImageZoom.aspx?itemid=15868&if=9392-30_FSRXC_comp_red.jpg

Cheers

No deal. The XC is at least 5 years old already- and even for its time it was monstrously heavy, no idea what your bike store thinks they're trying to pull, but not worth it at all.

Guest Omega Man

What ^ said. Looks like they are trying to unload old stock.

Yeah I thought the bike was old. And it is heavy as fek!

I am also looking at the Merida one 20 XT at Cycle Factory for R14 550, but doubt that they'd do a trade, so I'd have to sell the HT.

Trying to sell you a 5 year old bike for the same price as it was sold then is pretty laughable. If I may ask, what is wrong with the Big Nine? Maybe look at just getting a new frame and transferring the old components?

Will have a look at some frame options and also chat to CF. the Big Nine is a size too large (also due to poor shop advice - different shop).