Better quality Hubs?

Neg

Which explains why the big S continue to use CnC bearings in their hubs - they last. I have 8 year old XT hubs on 717's that still work fine despite not being maintained that well...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cup and cone bearings should not need the cups replaced unless the hub has been severely abused. I am yet to wear out a set of XT's or XTR's and they've ben through the washing machine a few times. Not sure if Shimano still makes the cups available as a spare part but that was certainly the case for many many years.

I've owned Hope hubs and they do go through bearings. since the bearing cannot be preloaded. Any play in th bearing cannot be adjusted out and its just a downhill spiral of wear from there on.

The reason the DT Swiss 240S and Chris King hubs get good reviews is because of the good labyrinth seals that offer zero drag whilst protecting the bearings from dirt ingress.

A large portion of Shimano dissers also tend to not care for their hubs because they perceive them to be cheap OEM parts. They get jet washed, never get serviced or adjusted and are expected to be sealed for life.

Bling hubs get babied everyday.....

food for thought

Yep. As with everything, maintenance is key.

That's built on Crests... Which the OP will trash in a second. Good wheels, but not at above 90kg.

The picture does says crest, but just to the right of the picture there is a dropdown menu to select all the other nice rims.

Learning plenty here guys... Thank you!! :)

On the noisy issue, i dont mind a bit of a crrrr but definitely not the LOUD one... and if it rules Hope out its ok, dont have the cash for them anyhow....

I have used XT's before and didnt have an issue.... maybe worth me checking these out. although, do they have sealed Bearings like the X9's? Of the two, what would you choose.

Richard has the Tesla's on his DH bike and in France we would ride down the road from Avoriaz. No one overtook him. And the hubs sounded great. it actually sounded as if I had a puncture. they would just make a psssss noise. Going back I would not have bought the Trizoid hubs. Cos they DON'T sound like Chris King and the Tesla hub sounds just as good IMO.

I like the grrrzzzzzzzz sound my Trizoid free hub make :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

I like the grrrzzzzzzzz sound my Trizoid free hub make :ph34r:

I bought Trizoids thinking they were poor mans Chris King. They make a nice noise but I'm afraid nothing tops the bzzzzzzzz. of Chris King. They actually change tone depending on your speed.

If you are going to run CK hubs that sound like killer bees then you need to run these http://www.degrandi.com.au/images/vredestein-killer-bee-1.jpg :whistling:

Cup and cone bearings should not need the cups replaced unless the hub has been severely abused. I am yet to wear out a set of XT's or XTR's and they've ben through the washing machine a few times. Not sure if Shimano still makes the cups available as a spare part but that was certainly the case for many many years.

I've owned Hope hubs and they do go through bearings. since the bearing cannot be preloaded. Any play in th bearing cannot be adjusted out and its just a downhill spiral of wear from there on.

The reason the DT Swiss 240S and Chris King hubs get good reviews is because of the good labyrinth seals that offer zero drag whilst protecting the bearings from dirt ingress.

A large portion of Shimano dissers also tend to not care for their hubs because they perceive them to be cheap OEM parts. They get jet washed, never get serviced or adjusted and are expected to be sealed for life.

Bling hubs get babied everyday.....

food for thought

You are thinking of Campag. Shimano never made the cups available as spares.

CK hubs have labyrinth and contact seals in parallel. Good stuff.

Hope hubs eat (expensive) bearings. I agree.

I love Shimano hubs and like you say, with TLC they last forever. Mine is now going on 16 years.

However, DT is crap. Period. Their seals are made from Swiss cheese and as you know, it has large holes in it.

Nice thing about hopes (and I assume most cartridge bearing type hubs) is you can change them from 9mm qr to 15mm TA and 20mm TA rear from 9x135 to 12x135 of 12x142 by just replacing the end caps. You cant do this with shimano etc cup and cone type hubs.

This is useful when changing frames and forks you are not limited by your wheels.

Nice thing about hopes (and I assume most cartridge bearing type hubs) is you can change them from 9mm qr to 15mm TA and 20mm TA rear from 9x135 to 12x135 of 12x142 by just replacing the end caps. You cant do this with shimano etc cup and cone type hubs.

This is useful when changing frames and forks you are not limited by your wheels.

Yeah. Same with superstar.

You are thinking of Campag. Shimano never made the cups available as spares.

CK hubs have labyrinth and contact seals in parallel. Good stuff.

Hope hubs eat (expensive) bearings. I agree.

I love Shimano hubs and like you say, with TLC they last forever. Mine is now going on 16 years.

However, DT is crap. Period. Their seals are made from Swiss cheese and as you know, it has large holes in it.

I don't think Coolheat even made the cups available but I did buy a set when I was in Europe. But generally I've never needed the cups. They tend to outlast the cones and bearings by a long shot

There's DT and then there's DT. Nothing less than the 240s is worth considering. Maybe I got lucky on two sets but they'v held up well for me. Never tried the 340 because those seals definitely were made in kindergarten and the freehubs........(Spits)

I don't think Coolheat even made the cups available but I did buy a set when I was in Europe. But generally I've never needed the cups. They tend to outlast the cones and bearings by a long shot

Coolheat is not the culprit here. Those cups are just not available. I occasionally harvest some from trashed hubs and transplant them into expensive XTR wheels otherwise ruined, but commercially they're not available. If you got to techdocs.shimano.com where they have the exploded diagrams and spare parts, you can type in any hub model number for any year and you'll see they don't show them as parts. Maybe there is/was a third party that sold those to your not-so-local bike shop. I'd love to know and source some.