Ultra Poormans XX1

Flowta

This is my version of a Poormans XX1.

I would have loved to have gotten the real XX1 but 2 things are standing in my way,

1. Cost

&

2. My current hubs don’t have XX1 compatible freehub.

Maybe when I’m bigger.

Already have a Wolfs tooth chainring and Shadow + derailleur, so just needed to sort out the cassette.

I had the idea (and obviously others too) that maybe one could put a bigger sprocket at the back.

The other option is the General Lee conversion which is lighter and a lot neater.

While looking online for somebody to cut me a sprocket I came across somebody already supplying a 41 tooth one. Ordered it and picked it up on Friday.

post-3441-0-81157800-1379273876_thumb.jpg

The original idea is that you put the sprocket on the back and remove one of the smaller sprockets (i.e. 13 tooth), but this results is a jump from 11 to 15 teeth between the smallest and second sprocket. This can be fixed using a 12 or 13 tooth lockring sprocket, but you lose the top end ratios.

I decided to use a HG-62 11-36 10 speed cassette as this makes it a reasonable jump from 36 to 41

Another way to get a past the 11-15 jump is to replace the 15 & 17 with a 16 tooth sprocket, while searching for this sprocket I realised I have a new HG-61 12-36 9 speed cassette on my other bike and if I mix the sprockets around I will end up with an 11-41 10 speed cassette and an 12-36 9 speed cassette both with acceptable gear spreads and an extra 17 tooth sprocket.

11-41 cassette: 11,13,15,18,21,24,28,32,36,41

12-36 cassette: 12,14,16,19,21,24,28,32,36

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here’s how the build went

Firstly, take the cassettes apart.

Grind the back of the pins that holds the cassettes together

post-3441-0-84980700-1379274044_thumb.jpg

Pull the pins out

post-3441-0-15065400-1379274077_thumb.jpg

And you’ll be left with a whole bunch of spockets.

post-3441-0-60074800-1379274128_thumb.jpg

Mix and match till you get your desired cassettes.

Assemble and install.

Still going to thread pins and tap large sprocket to hold the cassette together.

post-3441-0-86719400-1379274175_thumb.jpg

Awesome job.

Does the Shadow Plus make it over the 41t cog. I have a long cage XT Shadow+ and this conversion is an interesting one. Where did you source the 41t and how much?

Top quality. What are your initial impressions like?

Awesome job.

Does the Shadow Plus make it over the 41t cog. I have a long cage XT Shadow+ and this conversion is an interesting one. Where did you source the 41t and how much?

Top quality. What are your initial impressions like?

Yes, makes it over just fine, just gotta play with the b-tension screw.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, will hopefully get a chance during over lunch tomorrow

Seen a few 40 and 41 rings bending a bit.

Quite possible, will be permanently fixing it to the spider when I get a chance

nice work flowta and thanks for sharing

came across this exact conversion last week during some research!

to the rest of you'll check out mtbtools on ebay!

(Edit: as link posted above)

That is so brilliant, nice one. I was thinking this morning that there is no way I am going to manage with a 36 tooth on the back, this might work for me. Ta Flowta.

I like what you've done!!

My question is- I currently ride a 1x10 setup with an 11-36 & 34t up front.

What would the main reason be for putting in the effort for an extra cog at the back?

I like what you've done!!

My question is- I currently ride a 1x10 setup with an 11-36 & 34t up front.

What would the main reason be for putting in the effort for an extra cog at the back?

Steeper hills, and longer rides with more uphills

I've been looking into conveting my hartail to 1x10 so this is very informative. Was toying with the idea of

going 30 tooth up front, what are you running ? I was thinking that with an 11-36 cassette that should be adequate for the trails down here.

Archived