Advice for Enduro/AM riding

dimsum

Hey guys, I live in Cape Town and have been riding MTB for a couple years.

I still can't:

- do jumps

- ride downhill that well

- drop offs

So advice on how and where to practise this? I am building an AM Intese 5.5 right now so I will have the bike for it :D

Any links to tips/tutorials etc would help or if there is a company that can teach these techniques needed for AM riding that would also help.

Thanks fellow hubbers

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look up i-ride africa - Dan Dobinson runs it. He is fast and skillful and woulde be able to help you learn and improve all those skills.

Look at Fab Barels AM riding skills vdeos on the net - he covers everything and the videos are excellent.

Edited by Headshot

Guest Omega Man

Hey guys, I live in Cape Town and have been riding MTB for a couple years.

I still can't:

- do jumps

- ride downhill that well

- drop offs

So advice on how and where to practise this? I am building an AM Intese 5.5 right now so I will have the bike for it :D

Any links to tips/tutorials etc would help or if there is a company that can teach these techniques needed for AM riding that would also help.

Thanks fellow hubbers

Rule #1.

Don't take riding tips from anyone on here.

Dropper post

Flat pedals

Five Tens

The rest comes naturally :whistling:

Seriously though, these changes and just being aggressive and confident on the bike when approaching technical bits really make a massive difference.

A bit of child-like naivety also helps. Don't over think these things - it's actually all very logical and natural.

And something like G-Spot is perfect because you can just overdose on these obstacles and will see improvement in a few hours of rinse and repeat.

I found that even having watched all the videos in the end you have to develop your own natural style to be comfortable and confident. Unfortunately this entails some falling, which is the best way of learning.

Unfortunately this entails some falling, which is the best way of learning.

:eek: Maybe when you're 12!! Us old people don't like falling.

A bit of child-like naivety also helps. Don't over think these things - it's actually all very logical and natural.

This. My youngster goes over obstacles to sounds like "woo, yeah, woohoo", this is followed by the sounds as I go over "Oh sh..." Crunch, bang, scrape. "Ouch". He sees the fun in the obstacle and I see the danger. It makes a big difference.

ride with someone more experienced. Best way to learn.

Always a bunch of us out at Tokai. Cpt Mayhem/ Omega Man/ Pain or Shine will be a good goto, so contact them and they'll get you in touch with others.

where are you at btw? if u want some nice easy2ride velvet, go ride majik. Very nice loop for you to do adnauseum with a little bit of everything on teh descents: flat corners for cornering practice, little jumps and drops and you can go as fast you can handle. Rinse repeat.

Tokai has more variety and fit for all skill levels, but can intimidating for some. Majik is as sedate as it gets.

Edited by Capricorn

Okay thanks for the info guys.

-Where is G-Spot?

-I been to Tokai and quite like it. Been to Majik and it's not as fun...

-Im in Milnerton.

I've also been up table Mountain with the Table Mountain Bikers but they just want to race up hill haha :( I got left behind half way up!

Okay thanks for the info guys.

-Where is G-Spot?

-I been to Tokai and quite like it. Been to Majik and it's not as fun...

-Im in Milnerton.

I've also been up table Mountain with the Table Mountain Bikers but they just want to race up hill haha :( I got left behind half way up!

I'll bet you didnt go FSA on Majik. Lets meet up and I can see what's going on there ;P