• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ITTprofile.jpg

I suddenly have a craving for pancakes.

Edited by igknot

Preview for inring

The Contenders

What can stop Tony Martin? A puncture, an off-day? He won the worlds in 2011 and 2012 and if he’s technically proficient for a varied course, his main strength is pure power, the ability to turn a huge gear at high speed. The bookmakers have him as the first choice with his odds near even. He’s the riding machine, nicknamed Der Panzerwagen for his ability to crush the competition. He’ll be deploying a 58T chainring today although note this is all about technical efficiency because using, say, 53×11 means the chain runs at a slight diagonal angle and therefore costs watts, use 58×12 and the chain is less bent; also the act of curling the chain over a smaller chainring is again a tiny extra energy cost.

Bradley Wiggins will find the course to his liking. Some were wowing at his skills in the Tour of Britain but look again at the video and you can see the Sojasun ride he passed gain ground on him in the corners and for all the relief at the win, it was only a 2.1 stage race against modest opponents. Now there will be no wet roads, yet alone pesky corners but a rainbow jersey and a gold medal awaits if he can beat the world’s best. Plus Wiggins has been training specifically for the effort and distance, telling L’Equipe he’s been training for 65 minute efforts and that he’s in the form of his life for the time trial. He’s got the better of Tony Martin in the Olympics but that was with the German’s cracked wrist. Still if I had to pick between Martin and Wiggins, maybe I’d go for the latter and Wiggo offers more value to those betting.

Fabian Cancellara used to be the king of time trials but he’s been deposed by Martin in recent years. Yet he’s abdicated the throne by choice too, after all once you’ve won the title four times plus won Olympic gold you look for new goals. He’s reputedly been losing weight to he can win the road race this Sunday. I don’t know what his weight is but visibly he is looking very lean. A lack of brute power might cost him but he got the better of Tony Martin in the Vuelta’s time trial recently – finally breaking a run of losses against Martin that had lasted since 2010 – although this was on a hilly course where his reported leaner build was a greater advantage. When everything is going right he’s superb technically but this course doesn’t give him the chance to put those skills to work.

Taylor Phinney is probably the fourth of the main contenders. He’s local as he’s adopted Tuscany as his European home in the season and the course is a popular motorpacing route. But local knowledge doesn’t count for much on a course like this as it avoids the hills and twisting secondary roads; plus he’s probably not embedded enough to get roared on by the locals. But he’s been knocking on the door for some time and this race has been a major goal. A medal prospect more than a world champion.

I can use my logic, andydude

Please explain your reasoning process with this post.

It's in an article I read once where they looked at all the junior and u/23 TT champs and you'll see the guys winning and top 10s from 5 - 10 years ago are the ones at the top end of the sport.

Basically it boils down to if you can ride at that physical level for an hour you're made.

It's in an article I read once where they looked at all the junior and u/23 TT champs and you'll see the guys winning and top 10s from 5 - 10 years ago are the ones at the top end of the sport.

Basically it boils down to if you can ride at that physical level for an hour you're made.

Hmmm

Got it!

Dankie.

Tranquillo

Even the Brad can find it

http://d4nuk0dd6nrma.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Kramon_TOB13_stage3_DSC1429-Version-2.jpg

Wiggo was not in TTT. Fabian might be aiming for road title. Strange that Dowset from Sky borrowed a TT machine from Movistar.

Wiggo was not in TTT. Fabian might be aiming for road title. Strange that Dowset from Sky borrowed a TT machine from Movistar.

Wasn't Dowsett with Sky in 2012? Rides for Movistar in 2013...

Wasn't Dowsett with Sky in 2012? Rides for Movistar in 2013...

Blerrie commentators. You are right, I got confused with Sky sponsorship of British team.