Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

Is anybody on here currently running the Race Face narrow wide chainring and if so could you provide real life feedback?

I'm in two minds about purchasing one as I would like to loose the chainguide on my bike but not at the cost of shedding the chain.

The setup will include a type 2 Sram x9 rear deraileur

post-18902-0-24652100-1380099481_thumb.jpg

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running one for a total of 5 or so rides. The chainring has been brilliant TBH :thumbup:

Running 1 x 10 (11-36t cassette), X9 (type 2) RD and a 36t N/W chainring up front.

I haven't changed my riding at all and still haven't dropped a chain. The only spot i'm a bit conservative is cranking hard on really rough downhills, so I tend to hover over my seat while cranking so IF the chain drops, I'll 'fall' onto my seat. Like I said I haven't dropped a chain to date so I'm well pleased. We'll see how it holds up at the KZN enduro...

Mine arrived today :D

post-10758-1380099839,5261.jpg

So I can't give real life feedback yet... but super_mil can. And from what he's said, he is very impressed with his.

Did you get two sizes with your order?

It's looks like anodized ali though so don't see it lasting very long.

Is this to use instead of a chain guide?

Lifespan shouldn't be too bad. All my current chainrings are alu and haven't had any issues with premature wear.

Yup, this is basically XX1 for poor people. So it replaces a chainguide

Did you get two sizes with your order?

Nope... both the same size (34T).

One for me, and One for HayleyEarth

I've been running one for a total of 5 or so rides. The chainring has been brilliant TBH :thumbup:

Running 1 x 10 (11-36t cassette), X9 (type 2) RD and a 36t N/W chainring up front.

I haven't changed my riding at all and still haven't dropped a chain. The only spot i'm a bit conservative is cranking hard on really rough downhills, so I tend to hover over my seat while cranking so IF the chain drops, I'll 'fall' onto my seat. Like I said I haven't dropped a chain to date so I'm well pleased. We'll see how it holds up at the KZN enduro...

Glad to hear you have had good results so far. Keep us updated

Got my 34t on Monday and fitted it to my Reign immediatley. Running an 11-36 ten speed out back and was able to lose the chain guide (MRP x2) and was happy to do so. The x2 does a very poor job of retaining the chain unless the clutch is on - my chain managed to come off twice despite the guide. Bonus is my dropper post lever doesnt have a shifter pod to worry about and is easier to actuate in the revised position.

I have done one test ride so far and rode the bumpiest lines I could find - clutch on and absloutley no issues at all - except for my legs which didnt enjoy the uphills as much as the 26 tooth granny I had before.

Time will tell whether my legs can grow into the revised gearing...

post-14003-0-63309600-1380102275_thumb.jpg

I have a normal X7 RD, would this setup with a narrow wide work with this or does it have to accompany a clutched rear derailleur?

@ Patches and Headshot, where did you get the rings from and what was the pricing on them if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by sk27

Buycycle got their pricing wrong and only realised after they had sold a few - they came in at under R500 incl courier...The US price is about $45.

I have a normal X7 RD, would this setup with a narrow wide work with this or does it have to accompany a clutched rear derailleur?

@ Patches and Headshot, where did you get the rings from and what was the pricing on them if you don't mind sharing?

yup, normal RD's work with the Narrow-Wide rings. Doesn't have to be a clutch RD, but clutch is optimal.

As for where and how much...

I got mine from BuyCycle for R409 (which was a steal), but I don't think they have them anymore. There seemed to be some confusion as to product descriptions and those of us that picked up on it scored.

otherwise, anywhere retail agents for Hullabaloo (the SA Race Face importers), should be able to order you one.

CRC also has them. I think they're approx R580 before VAT etc.

yup, normal RD's work with the Narrow-Wide rings. Doesn't have to be a clutch RD, but clutch is optimal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxdEuu3GM5Y

As for where and how much...

I got mine from BuyCycle for R409 (which was a steal), but I don't think they have them anymore. There seemed to be some confusion as to product descriptions and those of us that picked up on it scored.

otherwise, anywhere retail agents for Hullabaloo (the SA Race Face importers), should be able to order you one.

CRC also has them. I think they're approx R580 before VAT etc.

What would be different running a clutch over my normal RD? Sorry probably a noob question but I've been using only my 32T ring for a month now and so i think i am ready to change now and this seems like a good option.

Also do I just strip the 3 chainrings in front and bolt on this 1 ring?