Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

Has anybody heard if Shimano got anything in the pipeline to compete ?

Did I read somewhere that last Int. cross country race the podium finishers where all on XX1 ?

Surely if you sponsored by Shimano you going to be looking at the guys getting podiums and going wtf Shimano ?

I'm in 2 minds on General Lee, it aluminium unlike the XX1 and XX0 which involve a much harder substrate ?

At R2k if it only lasts half as long one would be better of just biting the bullet and going with XX1 or 0 in first place maybe ?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

I managed to throw the chain off my RF N/W ring running the clutch off and no guide. Clutch on its been bomb proof.

Anyone have any ideas on chain length - I havent shortened mine. Would it help make the chain even more secure?

Do you switch the clutch on and off? I only put mine off when taking the wheel out. Is that wrong?

Did I read somewhere that last Int. cross country race the podium finishers where all on XX1 ?

Surely if you sponsored by Shimano you going to be looking at the guys getting podiums and going wtf Shimano ?

I'm in 2 minds on General Lee, it aluminium unlike the XX1 and XX0 which involve a much harder substrate ?

At R2k if it only lasts half as long one would be better of just biting the bullet and going with XX1 or 0 in first place maybe ?

Any thoughts?

Most of the Shimano riders in PMB were running a Saint crank with a chain guide to make a 1x10 system (11-34 or 11-36 cassette). All of the SRAM riders were on xx1 of course.

Who is on the podium is determined by the rider not the groupset.

The rumour mill is buzzing with 2014 Shimano 1x11 systems but nothing officially confirmed yet (as far as I know).

I managed to throw the chain off my RF N/W ring running the clutch off and no guide. Clutch on its been bomb proof.

Anyone have any ideas on chain length - I havent shortened mine. Would it help make the chain even more secure?

Can someone please explain why anyone would turn the clutch off? I really don't understand this...you might as well just stick to your original RD.

Most of the Shimano riders in PMB were running a Saint crank with a chain guide to make a 1x10 system (11-34 or 11-36 cassette). All of the SRAM riders were on xx1 of course.

The rumour mill is buzzing with 2014 Shimano 1x11 systems but nothing officially confirmed yet (as far as I know).

oooo, cant wait for bikerumour to put up some pics

Do you switch the clutch on and off? I only put mine off when taking the wheel out. Is that wrong?

I think it is suppose to be that way.

@headshot - if the chain is too long it will of course have more slack and have more room to 'slip'. There are too many variables to say your chain should be x-length/x-amount or links.

Variables like:

- 26 vs 650b vs 29"

- Cassette ratios and chainring size of course

- RD cage length

- frame design

- etc

I do the 'put chain in biggest cog and see how far it pulls the hanger forward and make chain almost tight', then after a few rides I either take out a few more or leave as is.

Guest Omega Man

I think it is suppose to be that way.

Ok sweet thanks.

I'm thinking of running one of those Wolftooth rings with just a top guide on my DH bike. Me likey quiet bike. Could be a very expensive experiment that turns into a waste of money tho. Or maybe I'll just get a straitline silent guide.

Edited by Omega Man

4 link over lap hard tail and two for dual suss remember big ring front and big ring back and not through the derailer

Any thoughts?

Serious? I wonder why XC riders would use Saint over a 1x10 setup with XTR?

hmmm... interesting

Nope, that sounds like the sensible approach. The shifting on my SLX rear derailleur is not as snappy with clutch on which is the only reason I like running it clutch off.

Serious? I wonder why XC riders would use Saint over a 1x10 setup with XTR?

hmmm... interesting

My guess would be cos the Saint is designed as single speed crank - the XTR in single mode is a "fix".

Can someone please explain why anyone would turn the clutch off? I really don't understand this...you might as well just stick to your original RD.

See my answer above...

Guest Omega Man

Nope, that sounds like the sensible approach. The shifting on my SLX rear derailleur is not as snappy with clutch on which is the only reason I like running it clutch off.

Oooh. ok. Understood. Look I've got other speed issues to consider rather than shifting TBH.