[Event] Spur MTB Classic

Dirtopia MTB Events

Event Name: Spur MTB Classic
When: 29 September 2013
Where: Somerset West, Western Cape
Category: MTB

MTB Classic offers route option for all ages & abilities.

The Spur MTB Classic taking place at Lourensford this Sunday 29 September, is the oldest funride on the Western Cape MTB calendar and still one of the favourites! The organizers from Dirtopia has again made sure the whole family can enjoy the spring day at this beautiful Estate in Somerset West.

The funride offers four MTB distances plus kids events:

• 15km funride for children & novices.
  • 27km funride for beginner riders
  • 38km challenge for intermediate, but fit riders
  • 57km challenge for advanced riders

And fun events for toddlers: 0.5km, 1.5km & 3km for small children (10 & under). Title sponsor, Spur Steak Ranches will have surprises for the toddlers as well.

The start/finish are will be busy with activities in the kiddies corner, meals from Spur, pancakes, coffee, wine tasting, massages and merchandise like the event T-shirt. All finishers will receive a medal & Coke, while there will be good refreshment stations on the routes.

Don’t miss the lucky draw after the event, as all riders will stand a chance to win great prizes, including dinner & spa vouchers, accommodation at Erinvale Hotel and a Giant Simple Single Bike!

The routes are designed & managed by the local Basin MTB Club:

The 15km route provides an opportunity for the casual rider who wants to enjoy a fun filled ride along orchards and vineyards with family and friends. The event provides parents the opportunity to share an enjoyable ride with their children.

The 27 km route adds a loop to the 15 km route and offers an introduction to mountain biking for newcomers. With roughly double the effort of the 15 km route, a brief ascent takes riders around the Blue gum dam from where you will be rewarded with panoramic views across the valley and False Bay.

For intermediate riders, the 38 km route provides the challenge of real mountain biking that will test your fitness as well as your technical skills. Winding climbs along the slopes of the Helderberg leads riders to the highest point with breathtaking views of the Hottentots Holland basin. A fast and hairy descent on the return guides to a number of awesome single tracks with enough thrills to ensure riders will return for more.

The Classic 57 km route includes all the pleasure of the 38 km route and for the advanced rider, adds a loop to the Vergelegen side of the estate. More climbs, descents and single track add to the excitement and will surely test your skills and abilities to the extreme.

It is important to note that this is a seeding event for Die Burger MTB Challenge 2014.

Late entries will be available for all distances at registration on Friday at Dirtopia Trail Centre on Delvera farm (12h00-18h00), Saturday at Sportsmans Warehouse in Somerset West (10h00 to 15h00) and Saturday morning at Lourensford Estate from 07h00.

Visit www.dirtopia.co.za for more information, phone the Dirtopia Trail Centre at 021-8844752, or e-mail theteam@dirtopia.co.za.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much climbing has the 57km got ?

1700m or thereabout I think. I'm doing the 57km for the first time, did the 38 km last year. A bit nervous to be quite honest.

Yip, around 1650m climbing, the Vergelegen loop is very technical, washed out rocky climb and descent, my 4th time doing the 57km, this one for me bites harder than the 80km Knysna, some of the best single track around!the guys involved with the trails there do a fantastic job! Just hope the one watercrossing isn't head high! I'm gonna try and enjoy this one and not so much focus on racing it...but then that usally changes on the starting line! Enjoy everyone and take care on those technical descents, seen guy come off very badly...

Anyone knows how the trail has held up aftet all the rains? Think last night also rained more rhan expected.

riding the 57 tomorrow...on a single speed!!!

just came from there, rode to the nek and up to top contour to put up extra bush markers and to see how i will manage...

it went ok...

just came from there, rode to the nek and up to top contour to put up extra bush markers and to see how i will manage...

it went ok...

Liewe genugtig meisie, kan ek jou nie n paar cent gee om liewers vir jou nog gears te gaan koop nie..?

it went ok...

Makes 2 of us

Makes 2 of us

Respect guys. Still can't pluck up the courage to do a race on my SS. One day when my ballas are a bit bigger.

Respect guys. Still can't pluck up the courage to do a race on my SS. One day when my ballas are a bit bigger.

This is the first race i did on my SS last year. Edited by Meezo

it went ok...

Me too... As per usual