Which Shock Pump?

Guest Hollow Man

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hollow Man

McGyver would manufacture a shock pump from a diet coke and mentos. Baziilion PSI in the blink of an eye. Sag? What's that?

Personally I prefer using this method for providing added rocket boost power on the uphills; just strap the diet coke to the top tube and face the cap backwards. The spray also refreshes those left in your wake as you speed past. Win Win...

I use the SKS one.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/05/27/1306493156789-8v0wvz3bnqlo-670-70.jpg

Guest Hollow Man

I use the SKS one.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/05/27/1306493156789-8v0wvz3bnqlo-670-70.jpg

Thanks Sheriff,

Being in the trade and all, You must have good reasons for settling on that one.That is a fancy looking pump; obviously well made by someone who is proud of their work. How much of monies can one like to pay for that?

Are there any decent combo tyre/shock pumps that you know of ? I managed to further complicate matters by murdering my common garden variety tyre pump(don't ask; it was really dumb) so killing two birds with one stone is now an option. :blush: Saw this one: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/63959-specialized-air-shock-pump/ here on the Hub and a Giant equivalent in a bike shop. I'm guessing that any crossover device will be a compromise in one way or the other....

Thanks Sheriff,

Being in the trade and all, You must have good reasons for settling on that one.That is a fancy looking pump; obviously well made by someone who is proud of their work. How much of monies can one like to pay for that?

Are there any decent combo tyre/shock pumps that you know of ? I managed to further complicate matters by murdering my common garden variety tyre pump(don't ask; it was really dumb) so killing two birds with one stone is now an option. :blush: Saw this one: http://www.thehubsa....ock-pump/��here on the Hub and a Giant equivalent in a bike shop. I'm guessing that any crossover device will be a compromise in one way or the other....

Yeah, the SKS one is around R 800.00.

There is a pump that does both, I have one at home, just can't recall the name, will check for you tonight.

Guest Hollow Man

Yeah, the SKS one is around R 800.00.

There is a pump that does both, I have one at home, just can't recall the name, will check for you tonight.

Thanks; appreciate it.

• 6 months later...

Forgive me for reviving an old thread but I figured better than creating a new one. Is a shock pump an essential tool to have? My OH needs to adjust the shocks on a second hand bike he just bought. I understand it's something you don't really do that often, it it worth foking out R400- R600 to get one, or will a bike shop do it for you and at what cost?

Tx.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for reviving an old thread but I figured better than creating a new one. Is a shock pump an essential tool to have? My OH needs to adjust the shocks on a second hand bike he just bought. I understand it's something you don't really do that often, it it worth foking out R400- R600 to get one, or will a bike shop do it for you and at what cost?

Tx.

For me it's been worth it having one. I have a full suss bike and I don't adjust it that often, but the convenience of not having to take it in to the lbs makes it worth it. I can also adjust the shocks for the terrain whenever I feel like it. I know the guys at my lbs, so they might even do it for free, but it really shouldn't cost you more than a few rand if they do it.

I purchased a Rockshox Reba 2 years ago and it came with a shock pump. My first Dual susser ( Giant XTC) also came with a pump. Is this still standard?

I purchased a Rockshox Reba 2 years ago and it came with a shock pump. My first Dual susser ( Giant XTC) also came with a pump. Is this still standard?

Those standard pumps dont last, they are generally ***

Guest Hollow Man

Tx.

Hi Uni,

My LBS was and is happy to pump the shocks free of charge whenever I need it done, but I find lugging the bike to the LBS is a pain in the rear shock. I grudgingly forked out the R's for a shock pump; I must say that it has been worthwhile. It's lekker to to be able to adjust/check the pressure yourself if You decide at short notice to go for a ride. My Ryder shock pump has proven to be quite adequate.

contrary to me telling him it's a waste of money - after the sale of his other bike he went and bought one. I suppose you can never have too much biking paraphernalia right - i mean i could squeeze a bit more stuff into the cupboard. Now i guess i best learn how to use it as well.

Next on his WANT list is a Garmin ....

• 6 months later...

I recently bought a new mtb with a different rear shock than the previous one and it needs a lot more pressure (about 200psi) to get the correct sag. I have the Rockshox pump and It's rated to 300 psi, but it gets really difficult to go past 150 psi, taking more and more effort. I assume this is normal and I should just keep going? I don't want to force it and break it.

Definitely worth buying a shock pump, especially if you own a Dual Suss. Forget the "recommended pressures", do a bit of internet research, play around on the trails for a day and you'll quickly have a different beast on your hands once you've dialled in your own suspension settings. It seems daunting. PSI, rebound, compression etc, but youll quickly get a feel for it.

My Lezyne packed up on me a week back, and i could only find a Giant pump locally at short notice. Paid 450 for it, and its a solid piece of kit.

I recently bought a new mtb with a different rear shock than the previous one and it needs a lot more pressure (about 200psi) to get the correct sag. I have the Rockshox pump and It's rated to 300 psi, but it gets really difficult to go past 150 psi, taking more and more effort. I assume this is normal and I should just keep going? I don't want to force it and break it.

Those RS pumps do 300psi without too much trouble, they've got about the thinnest barrel of any of the pumps I've seen.

The pump will be fine, they last me about 6 months of daily use in the shop, and get taken to 300psi at least once a day.

1 x cup cement prescribed  :whistling:

Archived