Johan Borman leaving us?

Dubber88

The Hub and SA Cycling will be poorer for his departure.

I don't think religion should be discussed on the hub. Impossible for people to remain civil.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think religion should be discussed on the hub. Impossible for people to remain civil.

Quite ironic that this statement can be extrapolated to the world as a whole.

On the hub, people get banned. In the world, people get killed.

:( I will never get to attend a wheel building class.

But on the bright side at least I own a Johan built wheel..

Snap. It's a small consolation. :(

Having known Johantjie for a number of years (as a student, customer, sponsored rider, failed business partner, workshop lurker), all I can say is that people who have had altercations with him on the interwebs have in all likelihood never met him in person. Although we have different views on a number of things, this never got in the way of numerous *** praat sessions in his workshop. Even with his immense knowledge and experience of all things cycling, he’d approach every problem from scratch by understanding the physics and root cause of the problem. He was always eager to learn, to understand, to ask questions, to listen to answers, to share his knowledge and to reassess his understanding. He was a man of conviction and played the ball and not the man. So if you waltz into his workshop spewing crap like the contact area of a 29er is bigger than a 26er then you’d better have the facts top back your claims, or get chewed up for the toffie that you are.

What always amazed me is his patience with customers and the immense effort he put into getting jobs done. I think very few people appreciates the length he went to, driving for days around town, sourcing some stupid washer the OEM left out of a build kit, solving problems that were never his to start with. Or fighting with suppliers to supply him with spares because he did not toe the industry line of just replacing it with new components.

Ja, not just cycling, but service in SA will be much poorer for his departure.

Johan, geniet Skotlandtjie!

Johan, in a kilt??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sjoe boet - waaay to draughty...(i.e. cold wind reaching where only warm hand should go!!)

Our loss = their gain!!

Keep up the chit chat once your'e over there.....the world is a small village nowadays.

actually I think he will rather fit in quite well in Scotland. the saying "nothing tighter than a highander" does not refer to anything to do with kilts or whats under them.

I suspect he will find mor people receptive to his "i can fix it attitude"

Will Cycle Lab have the Marzocchi Agency as well????

Very complex issue. Maybe he'll sign it over then report it to the Competition Commission. This topic is dripping with irony, don't you think?

Very complex issue. Maybe he'll sign it over then report it to the Competition Commission. This topic is dripping with irony, don't you think?

I know of 2 people who would personally love to take that agency off him.

I know of 2 people who would personally love to take that agency off him.

Who were the guys in Sun Valley who had the agency ?

Would there be minutes available????