Epic tyre choices

wynandvdmerwe

I need some help, currently riding Racing Ralph's Snake skin on my 29er Scalpel. Had no issue with tyres thus far, except for front wheel that slips every now and then. Should I put on something stronger like Geax or WTB for Epic, or just change front tyre to something with slightly more grip?

I recently fitted Specialized Ground Control to the front wheel and the grip has been very impressive. Not sure if it's necessarily an improvement on Racing Ralph though....

I you want more grip with the same weight as racing ralph , try the Rocket Ron's ( snakeskin ) up front . I've been riding with them in the front since Joberg2C without any issues .Really nice rubber they use that gives it lekke grip .

I need some help, currently riding Racing Ralph's Snake skin on my 29er Scalpel. Had no issue with tyres thus far, except for front wheel that slips every now and then. Should I put on something stronger like Geax or WTB for Epic, or just change front tyre to something with slightly more grip?

What pressure are you riding up front?

Schwalbe Racing Ralph SnakeSkin remains the most popular choice for Epic.

Very versatile tire, great all-rounder. Offers bigger volume and good middle ground between strong and light.

I have personally never had a problem with them slipping, ride the front at 1.8ish bar normally;

The knobblies have a softer compound and can wear of on tarmac fast but you should not be on tarmac anyway! ;)

During training I use Maxxis Crossmark or the rear and Ardent on the front.

They are strong, bombproof and you can get a million miles out of them but they are k@k heavy.

The Crossmark isnt great in the mud but the Ardent is lekka aggressive and offers more than enough grip up front!

It's October - you've got 6 months to figure out what tyres you like before Epic.

I've ridden everything from Maxis Crossmarks, to Geax Mezcals, to Conti Mountain Kings/Race Kings at the Epic and I've never had a problem. Find a tyre you like and trust, and go with it.

I've got Geax on my bike and found no issues regards grip however on the MTB review forum a number of users have complained about it particularly in wet conditions.

I recently fitted Specialized Ground Control to the front wheel and the grip has been very impressive. Not sure if it's necessarily an improvement on Racing Ralph though....

those Ground Controls have got lekker grip, but the side wall are a bit thin. Mine at the back has got plugs sticking out all over the place.