Berg & Bush on Singlespeed

TucknRoll

Hi

I am planning to ride the Berg & Bush Descent on my rigid SS, any recommedations for gearing ?

I did Spring Classic (18x34), Nissan Trailseeker Cullinan 70km (16x34) and Van Gaalen 70km (18x34). Also the USN cup, but they were flat.

Edited by TucknRoll

Hi

I am planning to ride the Berg & Bush Descent on my rigid SS, any recommedations for gearing ?

I did Spring Classic (18x34), Nissan Trailseeker Cullinan 70km (16x34) and Van Gaalen 70km (18x24). Also the USN cup, but they were flat.

Just go with the van Gaalens setup... 18 x 24.... if you can make that work at VG. you can use it at B&B... :ph34r:

TucknRoll, you did a different 70k at van Gaalen to me if that was flat - especially the downhill in the rocks and dust!!

I did it last year on using 32x18 and was able to ride everything.

The hands and arms took more gas then the legs on the rigid.

I would normally do the flatter GP races on 32x15 to give you an idea of where I am.

Just go with the van Gaalens setup... 18 x 24.... if you can make that work at VG. you can use it at B&B... :ph34r:

Thanks, but that should read 18x34 not 18x24. Thought I had correted it.

TucknRoll, you did a different 70k at van Gaalen to me if that was flat - especially the downhill in the rocks and dust!!

USN Cup races were flat, VG definately wasn't :-)

I would normally do the flatter GP races on 32x15 to give you an idea of where I am.

Thanks Edgar, I normally ride 16x34 - Northerns, Modders, B'sorah etc.

Difficult question for others to answer. My suggestion would be to compare the distances and profiles of the BnB days to the relevant races you've done. Bring into account the fact that you'll be doing this for 2 or 3 days in a row. Personally I'd stick to the 34/18 as that seems to be your preference and what your comfortable on. Making it easier may help a little on the hills but you'll get frustrating spinning out earlier than normal. My 2c.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

If you ride up Spioenkop you deserve more than a sticker...

Was going to mention that on a rigid you may feel it a bit. Lots of looong downhill sections to build up some arm pump ;)

ok, so I have a different spin on things.

I would go 34 - 19.

Don't kill me but it just makes the last 40km on the last day a bit less of a grind if you get tired.

I am not doubting your prowess on a bike, just suggesting that you choose an easier gear than normal in case you get a bit knackered.

I ride all sorts of ratios but like today at Jonkers I rode 32/20.... hills are a bitch and spinning the back wheel sucks ass. Im not macho, just practical.

Oh, all you single speeders out there.......... I have a big surprise if I can get 7 entrants confirmed into the bridge cape Pioneer 2014...... Please please please lets get 7 of us together and enter and confirm.......

I would go 34 - 19.

Don't kill me but it just makes the last 40km on the last day a bit less of a grind if you get tired.

I am not doubting your prowess on a bike, just suggesting that you choose an easier gear than normal in case you get a bit knackered.

I ride all sorts of ratios but like today at Jonkers I rode 32/20.... hills are a bitch and spinning the back wheel sucks ass. Im not macho, just practical.

Oh, all you single speeders out there.......... I have a big surprise if I can get 7 entrants confirmed into the bridge cape Pioneer 2014...... Please please please lets get 7 of us together and enter and confirm.......

Thanks, noted. But I'm going to stick with 18 for day 1, think its technical enough to stay with the geared riders. Plus my partners on a geared bike, so I'm going to have to do my share of the work.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish on my SS, mostly probably due to the heat, lack of training & wrong gear selection for the altered route on day 2. Managed day 1 fine with 18x34 and decided to stick with that for day 2. Wasn't feeling strong after day 2 & after looking at day 3 profile (hilly start & flat finish) I opted to put gears on my bike and finish the race. :-( maybe next year

I would go 34 - 19.

Hate to say it but...............

Well done for attempting it though. Its a learning experience which you can only gain from.

Ok, so does anyone here have any interest in riding the most beautiful multi day race in Southern Africa on a rigid SS?

PM me..... And if you have any friends who might be game tell them to PM me....

hay im thinking of doing it with a 32/18. how was Spionkop? did you make it all the way up?

to give you an idea i ride mostly on a 32/17 (29er rigid)