Mtb rider dies after being impaled by bike in Witfontein George

Skylark

RIP

The area where this actually happened was just above Witfontein as you pas the dam on your left.

We use this rode for hill training, 3km to tower and you climb 300m.

I'm not sure if he was coming all the way from the top but if you come down your normally get about 50-60km a hour

When i rode it recently i saw that the gravel road was grated freshly but for the first time they didnt make small speed bumps

(that easy to get over when you flying downhill) for the rain water to run off the road, they actually made small ditches over the road.

These are not as smooth as the bump to go over and i think he might have come down with speed and he came of his bike

Another story that i hear( note:heard)

was that he actually broke his femur in the fall and after moving it the broken femur actually punctured the artery.

Sad to see a youngster go that just got into his riding

RIP

Femoral artery, if it is severed high in the thigh, there is virtually nothing that you can do to stop the bleeding. Very sad.

Condolences to all concerned.

Unfortunately true - if you are involved in trying to help someone with a major arterial bleed and without a theatre/equipment, your chances are small - you best tools are your hands and fingers and a makeshift tourniquet. Stick them into the wound and try to hold the torn end of the artery closed tight - going to take BIG balls to do for the uninitiated and you have to be QUICK.

And best you start shouting for extra help too - hopefully you will not be alone, and with luck someone will have a belt/ziptie/rope you can use as a tourniquet to help as well - but don't let go the artery to apply it, and don't let go till they are in theatre or someone who knows what they are doing takes over.

Always going to be a big ask - especially if you don't know the HIV status of the injured person, and they have a tendency to thrash around too - so pretty tricky - but worth a go if you are a first responder....

Very sad story.. I can just imagine how scared he must've been lying there, trying to text his sister, and then slowly just passing out... It's very sad... May he rest in peace.

Very little hope unless a highly qualified medic is working on you within a minute. Artery could also be ruptured without puncturing the skin ...diagnosis is then difficult if not impossible within the time available.