Small womans 26er?

bikebevok

First of all, hello folks.

Just signed up after returning to SA after 14 years overseas.

So nice to find a well organised cycling community on the web.

Moving on, my partner has expressed an interest in cycling (after some gentle encouragement) and has decided on a MTB. She doesn't want to do crazy single track so I figure a hard tail, she's not particularly tall so I hoped to nab someone's old 26er when they upgraded to 29.

Her budget is about 5-7k.

I have very little idea about MTB, so this is largely conjecture.

Any ideas? Advice? Have a bike you think might fit the bill?

Let me know,

For that price and if you are patient you will score a great deal on a 26er in the classifieds.

For that price and if you are patient you will score a great deal on a 26er in the classifieds.

Will keep my eyes peeled then. You can see I've been gone to long, I forgot how to spell "befok".

Will keep my eyes peeled then. You can see I've been gone to long, I forgot how to spell "befok".

Haha, welcome to the Hub and S.A. :thumbup:

For R5 - 7000 you can find her a decent small frame Giant Anthem from 2009/10 vintage in good order in the classifieds. I bought 2 that way for my sons, but I'm not ready to sell them yet. Something like this (although it is a medium) is a lot of bike for very little money. All you need is to keep looking and move quickly when the right bike comes up.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/61442-26-giant-anthem-m-soft-tail-for-sale/

Welcome...

For your lady's comfort, look at a dual suss bike. It will make her enjoy it more, and benefit you in the long run.

You can't go wrong with an Anthem.

Welcome...

For your lady's comfort, look at a dual suss bike. It will make her enjoy it more, and benefit you in the long run.

You can't go wrong with an Anthem.

Totally agree... I've been instructed that comfort holds more value than actual function... I am therefore also looking at a ds 26er for the mrs

Ok, will do. Really appreciating the responses folks, recommendations are golden at this point. So dual susser back on table and will investigate Anthems. I just assumed that dual suss would be pricier and you'd get a better bike by going hardtail. She will mostly just be cruising around on the round with the occasional gravel shortcut I reckon. That said, I want her to have a bike to fall in love with and as a result cycling. How less comfortable could a hardtail be give she's only really likely to cycle on the road and a bit of non technical trail?

Edited by bikebefok

Ok, will do. Really appreciating the responses folks, recommendations are golden at this point. So dual susser back on table and will investigate Anthems. I just assumed that dual suss would be pricier and you'd get a better bike by going hardtail. She will mostly just be cruising around on the round with the occasional gravel shortcut I reckon. That said, I want her to have a bike to fall in love with and as a result cycling. How less comfortable could a hardtail be give she's only really likely to cycle on the road and a bit of non technical trail?

Just think corrugations on a farm road - and dual suspension wins hands down. Also, it is more forgiving and will probably save her a few falls. my wife used to ride a hardtail (occasionally) until she used one of the boys Anthems, now the hardtail lives in the shed.

Edited by DJR

Just do NOT get a clunky heavy bike. I ride a hard tail and am more than happy with it, because to go full susser on small/extra small results in a stupid difference in weight:comfort ratio (the additional weight for minimal greater comfort is truly not worth it). Also, if you do go for the heavier FS bike, make sure the shock and fork have lock out if she is doing most of the riding on road or flattish and smoothish roads.

sent you a PM yesterday, HT under 10kg, perfect for a lady.......or a guy for that matter. :)

newbies these days are so lucky, we all had to start on 14kg fully rigid hardtails......

I have a XT/SLX Silverback, brand new in the classifieds, stock clearance. Looking at R6800 for R8500 bike. Medium frame.