Stupid or not?

PrinceVlad

No not stupid at all, think what you have done is a good way to keep yourself motivate. Now set yourself a goal like a sub 4 hour and push towards it.

Hi there. Agreed, you are not stupid.

You need a goal to work towards.

Only one modification I feel to make.

From nothing to finishing the 94,7

I think a sub 5 hour time is more realistic in your case.

Its important you have fun during your first one.

Next year you can set another goal. ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DieBees

Hi guys

I started cycling earlier this year basically to get fit and lose weight, but struggled to get any momentum. (Rode about once or twice a week)

I have now decided to take it more seriously and, to motivate myself, I have entered the 94.7.

As from today there is 41 days left and I plan on doing 1 hour four times a week and a bit longer on weekends. (I started last week). I plan to do a shorter race somewhere in between.

My question is: Am I stupid or not for wanting to complete the race?

Should anybody think I am not stupid, what tips do you have and what accessories and/or equipment are non negotiable. For instance are cycling shoes a necessity?

I have a 29er so I also want to know what tyres to fit for the race to lessen the rolling resistance.

Cheers

Plan it well. Try to train consistently. If you plan to finish it, try to do that same time in the saddle. I have found in the past that its not the distance, but the time in the saddle.

Take the challenge and plan it well.

Good luck!

Keep us posted bud!

Plenty good advice given. Main thing, go out at an easy pace, if you try stick with the fast boys, you could land up paying the price on the Krugersdorp motorway.

In my opinion, the second half of this race is the killer, speaking for unfit guys like myself.

Enjoy it, you will never regret it.

Btw, it's a very good topic title you chose! Hubbers simply won't be able to resist commenting on a question like that! :)

Never take a turn at the front. If somebody tries to force you to make as if you have cramps. Spit and fart in the middle of the bunch. Void your nose of snot by violently ejaculating it from your nose at an angle that will ensure maximum coverage of those behind you, one nostril as a time. Never keep your line, switch the okes, they like it. Good Luck

I think I rode with you on Saturday! :eek:

.....heed all advice and apply generous amounts of Chamois Cream where the sun don't shine.

You might need it for a long ride!

.....heed all advice and apply generous amounts of Chamois Cream where the sun don't shine.

..and suntan lotion where it does!

True, very true..... :-D

True, very true..... :-D

Guest DieBees

On my first 94.7 I got sun stroke, so good point, use sun tan lotion and use enough... I landed up in Hospital.

Use a very high SPF!

On my first 94.7 I got sun stroke, so good point, use sun tan lotion and use enough... I landed up in Hospital.

Use a very high SPF!

Yoh that's hectic. Would sun cream have prevented it or would you needed to have drunk more fluids?

I did my first 94.7 with 20km of training and no special gear.

Just a MTB and a helmet.

Key to completing it though is to have fun. smile a lot, chat to folks. Stop for the odd beer with some of the overzealous supporters.

Remember, for 90% of the field its a "ride" not a "race".

Just have fun.

Great bit of advice

Use a very high SPF!

Riding in very high temperatures, you have to take in enough fluid with electrolytes.

Also keep as cool as you can. That means dumping water on your head and neck whenever you can. A wet buff under your helmet also helps.

Wear a white shirt and helmet - black is only OK for shorts on a very hot day.

Edited by DJR

Awesome!! Just have loads of fun and ride within your limits so you finish feeling good!

See you at the 94.7!! Moooooove it!