Which Deep Section Wheelset

rad006

You will not go wrong with the MAVICS in my opinion. I think their hubs are incredible, and the wheels just feel lively and sound awesome. You wont regret it.

The Shimano wheels look great, but I am not really a fan of their wheels. And I cant really say I know anything about the other wheels, so I wont!

Just my 2c

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been said already, but the Mavics are in a different league, in this company of wheels.

No questions, Mavic without a doubt.

Those 50mm clinchers from DH, do they still flex a lot? I rode a set about a year ago as a demo and found they had quite a lot of flex when placed under power... Has this been rectified?

Hi Schnavel - I weigh 68kg and have not experienced any wheel flex or brake-rub under power. (climbing, sprinting)

I would also go Mavics in this company, but I will say that I have a friend riding the DH 50mm who weighs around 80kg's and has experienced no issues with flex.

I have had the Shimano durace C50's (2010 model) and would not recommend them!

Both the front and back rim have cracked down the centre of the aluminium rim channel between spoke holes. This has caused the rims to fail outwards. Luckily the tyre did not blow off as that could cause a nasty accident.

Shimano support locally are singularly unhelpful! A new rim, which they don't have any stock of would set you back more than R8000! They also claim the RC80 rim, which is supposedly identical will not fit and its a mute point as they don't have stock either.

Hi Schnavel - I weigh 68kg and have not experienced any wheel flex or brake-rub under power. (climbing, sprinting)

That's something great then. I weigh 73kg, so it's definitely not that. I think I rode the first generation of the 50mm clinchers. May have to try out a set again as I wouldn't mind purchasing a set of the 50mm clinchers

My recommendation, go DH or even Blackspade. As for the Mavics, Ive got a set that are not even 2 old and all the spokes started to corrode. Sent them back to Mavic and fair to them they replaced the spokes. Only problem is that the new spokes are now corroding.

I had the Mavic SLR.

Sweet wheels.

However, I would now opt for the lightest wheel. Looking for the least rotational mass.

Darkhorse probably in this case. I hear awesome reviews 9/10 times.

I've been riding a set of DH wheels since April through some of the worse weather that Cape Town has seen in decades.

(Approx 7000 km)

Light and stiff is how I might describe them, but a better description would be; outstanding value for money.

Still as true as the day they were delivered, the Sapim spokes are tough as nails and the bitex hubs still roll like butter.

(Despite a few sphincter-puckering moments when meeting a pot-hole that wasn't there yesterday!)

The 50mm profile does make for some interesting crosswind handling, but nothing as hectic as the Light Weights that I rode which sometimes felt as though the Cape Doctor himself (or herself?) was trying to tear me off the bike.

In hindsight, I might have opted for a 30mm rim profile for those super gusty days when the wind appears to be blowing

from every direction, except the rear.

I bought the product as a training wheel set, but quite frankly, can no longer find a reason to ride or race anything else, so they've become my 'do everything' clincher wheel set.

NB: I don't work for the guys nor have any reason to endorse their product.

But,

I've tried to find fault with the wheels in order to justify an 'upgrade' but quite frankly, I can't.

This is R 8 K very well spent.

I hope this helps.

I can support the above. Excellent and great value for money. I have the 38mm and no problem with cross wind

I have been riding some 50mm Darkhorse Clinchers for the past few months and they are amazing...very impressed.

They are incredibly light and rigid, but they also look great. I would definitely recommend them!