Which Deep Section Wheelset

rad006

Hi

Please help me choose. I have roughly 8k to spend.

These are the options

Shimano 2013 RS80 C50 from buycycle whose website is down currently

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-road/mavic-cosmic-carbone-sl-wheelset.html

http://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-road/darkhorse-wheels-dh50ch-wheelset.html

Which would you choose and why?

I want clinchers as I do not want to glue tyres on and battle lol..

They are going onto an older model clear coated carbon Pinarello with Dura-Ace on.

post-1280-0-73234000-1381325312_thumb.jpg

post-1280-0-96393000-1381325319_thumb.jpg

post-1280-0-93612500-1381325331_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been shopping around for deep section wheels myself and I would opt for the Mavic's in this case.

Darkhorse looks good but the hubs don't quite make the grade. The Shimano's seem to be technically good, but I haven't seen them in the flesh so I don't know.

I'm interested to hear the responses, in the same boat as you, looking for my next upgrade.

Been thinking the Cosmics but value for money i'm hearing good things about the Darkhorse.

Mavics are always great, the shimano are new. The darkhorse are nice and light but its a pain to keep changing pads on your bike if you swop wheels.

What else should I consider besides 2nd hand?

so tempted by the DH wheelset myself.

if you contact DH i do believe they will build you a wheel using different hubs

Im biased towards the mavics.....simply because i ride them.....

but then again......will have had them for 3 years come december. In that time.....no buckles (including hitting many potholes).......and they just keep going, roll as good as the day i got them (no bearing issues either). Ive thought about sending them for a service or something......but they're not showing any issues...

rad....looks good

those on the bike are SLR's (the carbon spoke jobbies....they're lighter too....and more $$$...these are the ones i ride too)

the evobikes ones are the normal SL's

I have been shopping around for deep section wheels myself and I would opt for the Mavic's in this case.

Darkhorse looks good but the hubs don't quite make the grade. The Shimano's seem to be technically good, but I haven't seen them in the flesh so I don't know.

What hubs do they come with?

rad....looks good

those on the bike are SLR's (the carbon spoke jobbies....they're lighter too....and more $$$...these are the ones i ride too)

the evobikes ones are the normal SL's

Well then the normal SL's are what I can afford lol...

Mavics are always great, the shimano are new. The darkhorse are nice and light but its a pain to keep changing pads on your bike if you swop wheels.

What else should I consider besides 2nd hand?

You dont need to, get some Swisstop Yellow brake pads, I run them with training wheel and with carbon wheels and never had a problem...its 400 a set and last you about 2 years...