Classifieds safety: Suggestions and Feedback

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

In light of the recent incident reported by a member we're opening up the floor for suggestions on how security and trust can be improved within the Classifieds.

There have already been a number of suggestions in the linked incident thread.

Please add your comments, feedback and suggestions here.

Thanks and Regards,

Matt

A quick note on something that I'm sure will be mentioned..

Classifieds only allowed after xxx forum posts

It is often suggested that Classifieds should only be available to members after xxx number of forum posts. It has been mentioned before, but I'll say it again: This is not a feasible solution. There are many many more Classifieds users than forum users and many successful, trustworthy advertisers and buyers who have little to no forum posts to their name. The result would be an influx on spammy / one-worder posts on the forums with the sole intent of upping post count in order to 'unlock' Classifieds access.

Pre-moderate newbie classifieds

As far as placing adverts go, we'll be implementing a system whereby new advertisers adverts must be approved by a moderator before going live. Once new advertisers have had more than x number of ads approved they will have automatic approval. This will help up the quality of ads posted and eliminate spam, however does not solve the issue of buyers with criminal intent.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with the first option - have had a lot of successful dealings with people with only a minimum number of posts.

What about as an added feature or for added piece of mind if the person posting the add or answering an add could be vetted by another hub member. I know not always possible but it would be a nice option to have.

Only members can see classifieds and not open to the whole interwebs??

you have that option already when posting your add ... you can limit the add to members only.

you have that option already when posting your add ... you can limit the add to members only.

I think it should enforced and not optional....I know its not absolutely foolproof but it adds another hurdle for the slegmense to jump over.

To clarify: you can limit the display of contact details to members only, but the ad is still visible to anyone.

No one post wonders allowed!

Too many folk pitching up on our playground, using it as a vehicle to sell something and then disappearing.

There should be a minimum membership time / number of posts before a member has the PRIVELAGE of using The Hub to sell items.

Guest DieBees

Maybe a seller must give his ID number and also proof of address? I have sold many things in the past and even though it may be a very time wasting exercise, I have had to look at my own safety and ask for an ID and proof of address with his/her name on it.

Rate The Buyer / Seller option

+1 for this. I am sure that most people trying to sell their stuff on theHubsa would know one or more vriends on theHub that can vouch for them.

Both parties in transactions on the Hub should complete the rating component that already exists - if you can see that someone you're transacting with has had a number of hassle-free transactions previously it certainly helps you choose who to do a deal with

No one post wonders allowed!

Too many folk pitching up on our playground, using it as a vehicle to sell something and then disappearing.

There should be a minimum membership time / number of posts before a member has the PRIVELAGE of using The Hub to sell items.

I don't think admin will be able to enforce this as he pointed out, it isn't an option. I will however not sell to anyone anymore.

Both parties in transactions on the Hub should complete the rating component that already exists - if you can see that someone you're transacting with has had a number of hassle-free transactions previously it certainly helps you choose who to do a deal with

This will become mandatory and easier in the near future.

This will become mandatory and easier in the near future.

this will be a great result matt, again just another hurdle for the moegoes...make enough hurdles and the effort won't be worth it.

For new persons registering, obtain their ip address. When creating the add maybe log the ip address again. Sure technology has the means to track such a person when the ip address has been capturred.

Archived